Latest biking report

drsolly

I parked the bike, lying it on the ground, for a quick foray into a wood after a cache. I didn't bother to lock it up, since I would only be away a minute or so.

Twenty minutes later, DNF, I got back to the bike, only to find it ... gone!

I cursed a bit (well, a lot actually), which is always useful in such a situation (because it means you get to calm down a bit before you take action), and thought about the cost of what I'd just lost (one electric bike, with two large batteries, plus tyre repair stuff, panniers, and tools, total value the best part of one large) and then I wandered around a little, in case I could catch sight of the gonif who stole it. To my great surprise, and relief, there was my bike, a couple of dozen yards away, leaning on a tree. Nothing was missing!

I can't imagine the chain of events that would lead to that, but I do know one thing - I'm going to be a lot more rigorous about locking my bike up in future.

... and then, several hours later, unrelated, I noticed a flat front tire. And there I was, four miles from the car. I pumped it up, and it pretty much stayed inflated, and I got back to the car by riding for half a mile, doing the cache there, pumping for a few minutes, and so on. Now my front tire has been replaced by a "thorn resistant" inner tube, plus a gel insert to absorb thorns. When I checked the tire, I found the tiny tiny thorn that had done the damage, and I'm pretty sure that if I'd had the gel in place before, I wouldn't have had the puncture. I already had the back wheel protected; now I have both.

I'm out on the bike again tomorrow - look out Peterborough.

I guess "gonif" is more Yiddish cursing...

I'd hazard a guess that some scumbag took your bike, got a flat in the front and dumped it. So if you'd had a puncture resistant front tyre you probably wouldn't have a bike any more. Unless the flat didn't occur until much later, in which case perhaps your thief didn't realise that electric bikes are heavy and struggled to pedal it. Who knows? Perhaps the thief saw a copper on patrol and decided to dump it rather than be stopped in possession of it.

For what it's worth I've used Schwalbe Marathon tyres for a couple of years and they've never flatted on me. A couple of times I've pulled inch-long thorns out of them and carried on regardless.

Glad to hear the bike was ok. I've gotten into the habit of always locking up, even for a quick pop into the newsagents.

Tire wise I like the Schawlbe Marathon Plus range (currently running the Marathon Plus ATB) for the puncture protection. with nearly 1500 miles on them haven't had a puncture yet. Even barb wire hasn't gotten through to the tube.

I guess "gonif" is more Yiddish cursing...

I'd hazard a guess that some scumbag took your bike, got a flat in the front and dumped it. So if you'd had a puncture resistant front tyre you probably wouldn't have a bike any more. Unless the flat didn't occur until much later, in which case perhaps your thief didn't realise that electric bikes are heavy and struggled to pedal it. Who knows? Perhaps the thief saw a copper on patrol and decided to dump it rather than be stopped in possession of it.

For what it's worth I've used Schwalbe Marathon tyres for a couple of years and they've never flatted on me. A couple of times I've pulled inch-long thorns out of them and carried on regardless.

Gonif means thief, crook, fraudster.

No, the puncture happened some hours later.

Glad to hear the bike was ok. I've gotten into the habit of always locking up, even for a quick pop into the newsagents.

Tire wise I like the Schawlbe Marathon Plus range (currently running the Marathon Plus ATB) for the puncture protection. with nearly 1500 miles on them haven't had a puncture yet. Even barb wire hasn't gotten through to the tube.

In over 3 years of cycling, a lot of it 'off-road', I can honestly say that I've never had a tyre go flat on me. I dumped half a bottle of Halford's orange tyre sealant into each tube when I first fitted them (Kenda tyres, incidentally). I know I've had punctures because I've pulled out thorns and had a slight hiss and a blob of orange show up but the tube sealed instantly and that's it. No drama, no walking home. I would recommend it to anyone.

One downside of Marathon Plus tyres (especially the narrower ones) is they are an absolute (slang for female dog) to get on and off. When I flatted on Specialized Borough tyres I got them off and back on with my hands (no tools required) with minimal trouble. When I put a Marathon Plus tyre on back at home (700x32 size) it was harder to get seated at all, harder to get into place, and I couldn't get the last 12-18 inches of tyre seated without using tyre levers (the bike shop told me not to use levers to avoid pinching the tube but I just couldn't get the tyre on without them)

When I flatted on Specialized Borough tyres I got them off and back on with my hands (no tools required) with minimal trouble.

I confir... Borough are top tyres and very easy to get off and on with bare hands. It impresses my nephews anyway, when they have to use tyre levers to get their cheap tyres both off and on.

I managed to get round two circuits in Peterborough today without falling off once!

Woo hoo! *pins up some bunting while a brass band marches by, someone opens some champagne and a biplane does a flyover trailing the banner "Peterborough can rest easy now"!*

Glad you got some good caching in without incident, drsolly. :D

I had a look at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I think the main feature is the "smartguard" which is an extra layer of rubber between the tyre and the inner tube, which hopefully takes the thorn without it reaching the inner tube. Nice idea, but I don't think it's any different from the gel insert that I now have on both back and front wheel.

I tried slime a while back. It clogged up the valve and stopped it closing; since then, I carry a bottle of slime, for use on-the-road; if it works, great. If it doesn't, then I have the usual patch kit. If that doesn't work (I once has the valve tear out), I have a spare inner tube that I carry on long routes.

I've read about tubeless tyres (i.e., no inner tube). Sounds interesting!

I think you need special rims that are shaped slightly differently to lock to the tyres.... and being tubeless doesn't stop them from getting punctures!

I just had a long chat with the guys at the bike shop. They think that tire liners (like those I'm using) are better than slime. He talked me out of getting a centerstand, but I bought a kickstand that should work better on soft ground, and I also treated myself to a new pair of fingerless gloves. I also ordered a bike workstand from Halfords, only £11.95, about a tenth of what better ones cost. And I also got a new helmet; the old one is 4-5 years old, and is getting manky, and I read you're supposed to get a new one every three years. I don't mind getting the odd bruise on my arms and legs when I fall off, but I've only got one head.

I think you need special rims that are shaped slightly differently to lock to the tyres.... and being tubeless doesn't stop them from getting punctures!

I just had a long chat with the guys at the bike shop. They think that tire liners (like those I'm using) are better than slime. He talked me out of getting a centerstand, but I bought a kickstand that should work better on soft ground, and I also treated myself to a new pair of fingerless gloves. I also ordered a bike workstand from Halfords, only £11.95, about a tenth of what better ones cost. And I also got a new helmet; the old one is 4-5 years old, and is getting manky, and I read you're supposed to get a new one every three years. I don't mind getting the odd bruise on my arms and legs when I fall off, but I've only got one head.

If you mean the loose plastic tape that you put round the inside of the tyre before fitting the tube... It's a bugger to keep in place while you're fitting the tube and don't, under any circumstances, overlap the ends... that will wear through your tube in double quick time... as I found out!. Also, it only covers the centre of the tread, there's no protection for the sidewall. I found they were more trouble that they were worth so I stick to the Halford's orange tube sealant.... Not 'Slime' which is a lurid green colour but very similar.

If you mean the loose plastic tape that you put round the inside of the tyre before fitting the tube... It's a bugger to keep in place while you're fitting the tube and don't, under any circumstances, overlap the ends... that will wear through your tube in double quick time... as I found out!. Also, it only covers the centre of the tread, there's no protection for the sidewall. I found they were more trouble that they were worth so I stick to Halford's orange tube sealant.... Not 'Slime' which is a lurid green colour but very similar.

Agree with Pharisee about the liners 100%. It's a nightmare keeping them in place and they can and do rub holes in the inner tube. If the wheels are 26" - go for Specialized Armadillos.

When I flatted on Specialized Borough tyres I got them off and back on with my hands (no tools required) with minimal trouble.

I confir... Borough are top tyres and very easy to get off and on with bare hands. It impresses my nephews anyway, when they have to use tyre levers to get their cheap tyres both off and on.

I don't know I'd rate them as "top tyres", I had the Tricross for less than a month before getting a flat while I've used Marathon Plus tyres for over two years and never had any trouble at all.

They seem OK, but mine are now relegated to the loft as emergency backups just in case I wreck a Marathon and want to take the bike out before I can get a replacement.

I had a look at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I think the main feature is the "smartguard" which is an extra layer of rubber between the tyre and the inner tube, which hopefully takes the thorn without it reaching the inner tube. Nice idea, but I don't think it's any different from the gel insert that I now have on both back and front wheel.

That's the advantage of the Marathon tyres, and you could well be right about them doing the same sa the gel insert you've got now.

The tubeless tyres seem interesting but if you do get a flat you don't have the option of changing the tube. So for something like that you'd have to use Slime or similar.

That's the advantage of the Marathon tyres, and you could well be right about them doing the same sa the gel insert you've got now.

The tubeless tyres seem interesting but if you do get a flat you don't have the option of changing the tube. So for something like that you'd have to use Slime or similar.

I looked at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus but they're essentially a 'road' tyre. As a lot of my cycling is 'off-road', I wanted something with a tread pattern that would handle mud better which I why I opted for the Kenda with their 'K-shield' puncture resistant casing. I've had no cause to regret that decision.. so far :lol:

If you mean the loose plastic tape that you put round the inside of the tyre before fitting the tube... It's a bugger to keep in place while you're fitting the tube and don't, under any circumstances, overlap the ends... that will wear through your tube in double quick time... as I found out!. Also, it only covers the centre of the tread, there's no protection for the sidewall. I found they were more trouble that they were worth so I stick to the Halford's orange tube sealant.... Not 'Slime' which is a lurid green colour but very similar.

It's a sort of gel, and it's a couple of inches longer than the tire. I put it in to size it up, snipped off a couple of inches. Then I taped one end to the tire with an inch of duct tape, laid the rest into the tire, then taped the other end in place with another inch of duct tape. After doing that, it handled just like an ordinary tire. Yes, I know it doesn't protect sidewalls, but I think the biggest risk for thorns has to be the part of the tire that rolls on the ground.

When these tires wear out, I'll think about Schwalbe Marathons.

I managed to get round two circuits in Peterborough today without falling off once!

Burghley Horse trials this weekend!

Hope you don't have any horse related incidents - or get stuck in the extra traffic in the area!

I have horse related incidents all the time. Although people are required to pick up dog poo and hang their dog poo bags in bushes so that we can all admire them, no-one seems to suggest that horse riders clean up after their mounts, which means that after a day's biking on bridleways, when I come to lift my folding bike back into the car, I come face-to-tire with the unpleasant results. OK, I can understand that cows will make a mess in their fields, but horses are on public bridleways, and their riders should be required to clean up their mess. If I dropped used sandwich wrappers and empty water bottles as I travelled along, I'd be ashamed of myself. But horse riders have no sense that they shouldn't make a mess.

you want to experience the meeting of a 150BHP sportsbike and the produce of a horses bottom on a savage left hander before commenting about how horse riders should be required to clean up their mess. trust me when i say the load neddy evacuated was nothing compared to the load i deposited in my leathers that morning..........

I looked at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus but they're essentially a 'road' tyre. As a lot of my cycling is 'off-road', I wanted something with a tread pattern that would handle mud better which I why I opted for the Kenda with their 'K-shield' puncture resistant casing. I've had no cause to regret that decision.. so far :lol:

The regular Marathon Plus is a road tyre, you can also get the Marathon Plus ATB which is more for off-road use. I had those on both wheels on my mountain bike but when the rear tyre was badly worn I swapped it for a Marathon Extreme. The extreme has a ceramic layer rather than the rubber guard and a more aggressive tread than the Plus. It handles mud much better than the Plus, but probably not as well as other MTB tyres you can get.

Just came across this http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/products/Anti-theft-Tracker-GPS-GPSTRACKER which might be handy if your worried about your bike been stolen. A rear light with a GPS tracker built in, tempted myself to blow the money on one of these.

Well as it costs more than my bike I'd me more worried about losing it than losing the bike, and I've had a number of lights lifted off bikes over the years.

Just as I was completing the second circuit today, I happened to look at my back tire, and saw an ominous bulge. Looking closer, I could see that the tire was completely worn away, and I think I was seeing the gel insert that I use to prevent punctures. I've ordered a replacement tire, I'm getting a Marathon Plus MTB, as recommended by this thread.

That puncture prevention gel tape is the bees knees. It's "Dr Sludge anti-puncture tape" and since I installed it, I haven't had a single puncture, and I'm riding over some very rough ground, and I often go over thorny branches before I'm able to stop. I also use Kendra thorn-resistant inner tubes, because when your out on a ten mile circuit and you're five miles from the car, a puncture is very bad news.