What GPS device is good to buy

Pup+Boss

have decied to buy a gps device but no idea how to pick 1

heres why

after holiday in robin hoods bay and geocathing with my phone whych was hard as no signal most of the time, (still managed 4 tho)

dont have a lot cash tho

any help would be gr8

thanks

Lewis

It would be helpful to quantify "don't have a lot of cash". If you've got £10 to spend you won't get much (if you manage to get anything), if you've got £100 you can get quite a reasonable used unit, if you've got £250 you can get something pretty neat.

heres why

after holiday in robin hoods bay and geocathing with my phone whych was hard as no signal most of the time, (still managed 4 tho)

dont have a lot cash tho

any help would be gr8

thanks

Lewis

It would be helpful to quantify "don't have a lot of cash". If you've got £10 to spend you won't get much (if you manage to get anything), if you've got £100 you can get quite a reasonable used unit, if you've got £250 you can get something pretty neat.

heres why

dont have a lot cash tho

any help would be gr8

thanks

Lewis

well yes £10 would be a compass . thinging £100 max as we still have phone and net to get us in the right place its just in case we get stuck

I started off Geocaching with my iPhone which is a great device but i found myself getting frustrated by the battery life and the lack of aGPS when coverage dropped off was annoying the hell out of me. After a fair amount of searching around i bought a Garmin Dakota 20 for £160 from Amazon. Great device and worth every penny. Garmin will be releasing new devices in the next month or so, have a look at the Garmin 20.

cool thx, do you need maps on it or is the direction thing good

Maps are handy, mostly for following footpaths in my case, but very far from essential.

Many people here cached successfully for many years before useful mapping receivers were available. There are some maniacs who cache without any form of GPS at all, relying on maps and Google Earth, etc and have racked up numbers of finds that I'll never get to!

heres why

dont have a lot cash tho

any help would be gr8

thanks

Lewis

well yes £10 would be a compass . thinging £100 max as we still have phone and net to get us in the right place its just in case we get stuck

£10 might get you more than a compass, albeit not much more.

For £100 you should be able to pick up a reasonable used unit. Looking on ebay I can see the Garmin 60CS (not the CSx, which is a newer and better unit) seems to sell for between £80-125. You might get an Etrex H within your budget.

If you can, get something with the high sensitivity receivers because the lower sensitivity chips (as found in the 60CS, among other older units) tends to lose satellite lock under tree cover. Obviously you buy what you can afford, but it's worth keeping in mind that it can be frustrating trying to find a cache in the forest when you get within 100 yards only to find you lost satellite cover again.

You might want to consider the eTrex 10. It's new, not available just yet but the Garmin website lists it as £100 (which means it should retail for a bit less than that). It doesn't support maps but is fully paperless so you can load Pocket Queries into it.

For another £50 the Dakota 10 gives you color touch screen maps (free!!) and full paperless caching.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

We use our old satnav (Nuvi265WT)for the paperless bit, using GSAK for the downloads and a very nice article on here somewhere about paperless cacheing.

I was given a eTrex by Uncle Ian who'd gone all fancy GPS on us. I load the co-ords in to that and set The Halflings off.

But it all comes down to how much you want to spend.

Halflings Dad

do you know when its out?

Garmin's website says 3rd quarter 2011.

Amazon UK says "Date first available at Amazon.co.uk: 11 Aug 2011" but it's showing as not in stock.

http://www.gpstraining.co.uk/Garmin_eTrex10eTrex20andeTrex30.html says mid September

Price 110 quid so you'll need to not drink 3 pints in the next week or two to make up the extra tenner!

Edit for tautology!

Edited by The Patrician