Montana Automobile Routing Issue

I put my Montana to the test this weekend on the roads after having bought City Navigator NT 2012.2 the latest version and the speaker cradle. To test it i set it to the same settings as my Nuvi with the same software and i drove from Boston to Maine with both units on. With the Montana no matter what i did i could not get it to choose the fastest or shortest route and it did everything it could to avoid Interstates or direct routes. In fact it tried repeatedly to route me from Boston to Maine through tiny back roads and residential communities. We estimated had we followed its routes it would have taken us over 10 hours for this otherwise 40 minute journey. The Nuvi continued to be spot on. I tried an experiment after frustration grew and i nearly gave up and set the Montana to Motorcycle mode in the Profiles instead of the obvious Automobile mode. This almost fixed the problem and the route was similar although not quite identical to the Nuvi's route. It is almost as if the Automobile mode is calculating a walking route and avoiding all major routes. You would think the motorcycle mode would be the one to avoid interstates as you go out on the bike to see scenic routes. Clearly there is a major issue with Garmin's routing in Automobile mode. And yes i tried every possible setting etc. played around with avoidance's blah blah.

Is anyone else having this problem? Right now it makes the Montana useless to me for Auto routing and I may as well go back to a combination of my Nuvi and Oregon.

[...]

Is anyone else having this problem? Right now it makes the Montana useless to me for Auto routing and I may as well go back to a combination of my Nuvi and Oregon.

Nope. the Montana acts definitely as expected. I did a lot of routing the last days (CN Europe 2012.10 - FW 3.2).

Happy Hunting.

Edited by HHL

Sounds like yet another Firmware issue with the Montana.

I am sure it is firmware related, but they didnt fix it in 3.20 because i came home and upgraded from 3.00 and that did nothing. Still have to run it in Motorcycle mode and check it with Nuvi.

Can you post up your automobile and motorcycle profiles so we can take a look?