Muggles ?

While the word muggle existed before Harry Potter, the way it is used in Geocaching does come from Harry Potter. (The previous meanings were nothing like the Harry Potter meaning.) We are apparently not the only group using it to describe people who are not in the group. :)

One alternate version that would be more Geocaching specific would be geomuggle.

I started off calling them mugglers. I have stuck with it. I want to name our next dog Muggler! I think I have said this before but I was geocaching with my daughter when a guy ridding his bike ran into my car. I heard the loud BAM. I look up and said loudly "did that muggler just hit my car"? He got up picked up his bike and took off quick. I went and looked and there was only some tire marks so I didn't get to mad. My daughter just started cracking up and said I wonder what he thought when you called him a muggler. :laughing:

-WarNinjas

Why not say non cachers ?? Why do you need to use a word for anouther word ?? Or just make some letters for it like tftc I think that's thanks for the cache ???

I don't like that stuff eather

In golf, why do they say Mulligan instead of "do-over"? why bogey instead of "1 over par"? Why do people insist on joining an activity and then question the lingo that grew up as part of the game?

If you take yourself too seriously to say muggle, then, fine, don't. It's part of the terminology that grew into the hobby over the last 10+ years, so I don't see it changing any time soon.

Edited by KoosKoos

Why not say non cachers ?? Why do you need to use a word for anouther word ?? Or just make some letters for it like tftc I think that's thanks for the cache ???

I don't like that stuff eather

Not everyone actually knows what the word cache even means. (And I mean the general meaning, rather then the Geocaching meaning.) I doubt the average household would talk much about "weapon caches," "cache of supplies" etc. Except maybe in Alaska and similar areas. :)

Muggle on the other hand is a word that a lot more people will probably understand given how popular Harry Potter is. It even got into the Oxford dictionary. (The dictionary meaning I believe is "A person who lacks a certain skill.")

I'm still fairly new to geocaching (March '11; 158 caches) and thought I was alone in my dislike of the "m" word other than in the Harry Potter context. I think it's sad that a world-wide game/hobby, call it what you will, with a huge following, has borrowed a term from another medium rather than coming up with one of its own, if in fact one is needed. I agree with GeoGeeBee that "people" is ideal when the occasion demands.