Getting a 'cache number'

swissgreys

OK, I have searched the Forums (I did try - really) and can't find an answer to my question.

Please be kind if it is out there, but I missed it - you are Geocachers too, so you know what it's like when you can't find something... :rolleyes:

I am getting ready to hide my first cache. I have the container, contents, and location all sorted.

Tonight I started filling in the online form to register the cache, and came across a problem.

I can fill it all in and submit the cache for review, but I don't have a 'cache number' to put on the container.

I don't want to submit the cache for review until it is actually physically in place, but I don't want to put it in place without a cache number on it either.

So how do I get a cache number in advance?

And if I can't do that, how do others go about placing a cache before they have a number?

Do you just go back and add the number once you have one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Swissgreys

There is the box that says check when you cache is ready. Leave it unchecked, create your cache and voila your cache will be assigned a number. When you are sure its ready for the game just check the box and it will go for review.

Enable cache listing. It is ready for review. (If the listing is not yet ready to be reviewed, uncheck this box.) Note: Only 'Enabled' cache listings are visible to the reviewer.

Make sure the checkbox for "Enable cache listing. It is ready for review. (If the listing is not yet ready to be reviewed, uncheck this box.) Note: Only 'Enabled' cache listings are visible to the reviewer." is unchecked, then submit the cache listing. That will assign a GCxxxxx code for your cache.

Put the GCxxxxx code on the container, on the log, and anywhere else you want to put it. Then place the cache in its hiding spot.

Edit the cache listing. This time, check the checkbox for "Enable cache listing. It is ready for review. (If the listing is not yet ready to be reviewed, uncheck this box.) Note: Only 'Enabled' cache listings are visible to the reviewer." and submit the cache listing.

So how do I get a cache number in advance?

And if I can't do that, how do others go about placing a cache before they have a number?

Do you just go back and add the number once you have one?

Find the box beside "Enable cache listing. It is ready for review. (If the listing is not yet ready to be reviewed, uncheck this box.)" on the form and make sure it's NOT checked. Then hit the "Report New Listing" button. This creates the cache listing but does NOT submit it for review.

You'll now have a GC code for the cache, still be able to edit the listing, add child waypoints and add attributes among other things. You can also message your local reviewer, give them the GC code and ask them question about your cache listing even though it's not on the review queue yet.

When you're ready you can edit the listing and check that box to submit the cache.

Edited by Avernar

It also takes a few hours/days for the review process, in which time you access the cache number, place it on your cache and have it in place.

Not around here, if all is well with the cache listing.

FTF'ers have been disappointed to get the notification and head out only to discover that the cache was not in place yet.

Thinking that you have hours before a cache is published and that you can take your sweet time placing the cache can result in some cranky local cachers.

From the Guidelines:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307

2. Geocache must be in place before you enable the listing. Your cache should be in place and ready to hunt at the time your cache page is enabled online. If the cache is not ready, either disable your cache page so that it won't be listed in the review queue or post a "Note to Reviewer" explaining special circumstances such as awaiting permission from a land manager.

It also takes a few hours/days for the review process, in which time you access the cache number, place it on your cache and have it in place.

Please don't do this. Only submit it for review after the cache is in place.

I've had a cache published eight minutes after I submitted it. Reviewer lag time simply can not be part of the equation. Hide your cache, then submit it.