Previewing pocket queries

karinagw

It used to be that if you were on your list of pocket queries and you clicked "show pocket query on map", you got a map of the area that just showed the caches from that query. This was great, I would print it out, so I could get a feel of where things were to make it easier if I didn't have a lot of time. Now, it shows all the caches in the area....totally useless. (And, in an associated mini-rant, I intensely dislike the Beta map and wish I could make the original version the default (for me)).

I use GSAK and macro then print (when I do bother printing that is- often I just look at it and make a few notes that I can't read later).

I usually print a map if I'm travelling with really no time to geocache. That way I can take a quick look at it (which is way faster than cranking up any of the software apps) and see if there is anything nearby where I am at that moment. But, the "improvements" they've made now preclude that.

I will have to look into GSAK for future trips. I don't think I have time to totally learn new software between now and my crack of dawn flight.

Edited by karinagw

I use GSAK and macro then print (when I do bother printing that is- often I just look at it and make a few notes that I can't read later).

I usually print a map if I'm travelling with really no time to geocache. That way I can take a quick look at it (which is way faster than cranking up any of the software apps) and see if there is anything nearby where I am at that moment. But, the "improvements" they've made now preclude that.

I will have to look into GSAK for future trips. I don't think I have time to totally learn new software between now and my crack of dawn flight.

I generally just have the GPS on while we are driving and watch the cache appear as we go.

GSAK has a steep learning curve, but I like it.

It used to be that if you were on your list of pocket queries and you clicked "show pocket query on map", you got a map of the area that just showed the caches from that query. This was great, I would print it out, so I could get a feel of where things were to make it easier if I didn't have a lot of time. Now, it shows all the caches in the area....totally useless. (And, in an associated mini-rant, I intensely dislike the Beta map and wish I could make the original version the default (for me)).

Vote and post your Feedback here.

TeamPumpJack,

If you are doing enough geocaching to need a map, then you need GSAK. As mentioned earlier in the thread, download the PQ into GSAK, then use the macro Google_Map_V3.gsk. It displays a map of exactly what you want to see, and in addition does clustering. Extremely useful.

Edward

You don't think we have not noticed that and commented about it? Many, many, many times. So far no idea if it will ever be fixed.

With the Feedback site and abilities decommissioned :-(, I feel like we need to start all over again in getting Groundspeak to pay attention to this bug they created when switching to beta maps. Please bring back this feature! We shouldn't have to download a PQ and go use external programs to look at it (although thanks for the workaround guys) - this is a basic service that should be covered in premium membership.

Or at the very least make it a platinum member service and sign me up.

In a related beta map bug, ignored caches still show up. That's my backup filtering tool and it doesn't work either :-(

TeamPumpJack,

If you are doing enough geocaching to need a map, then you need GSAK. As mentioned earlier in the thread, download the PQ into GSAK, then use the macro Google_Map_V3.gsk. It displays a map of exactly what you want to see, and in addition does clustering. Extremely useful.

Edward

All true, except as a pocket query *preview* mechanism using GSAK doesn't solve the problem. Using the old maps one could create a pocket query, adjust the criteria as needed such that covers just the area you want and preview it on the maps to confirm *before* selecting a day for it to be generated.

You don't think we have not noticed that and commented about it? Many, many, many times. So far no idea if it will ever be fixed.

Did being snarky at me make you feel better? Because of a variety of reasonably big catastrophes/events over the past several months, I've barely had time to go geocaching and wasn't really aware of the mapping situation when I posted and hadn't seen anything when I skimmed the forums. BUT, if you've had some tough times and getting angry at me helped you feel better, well, I guess I understand...sort of.

Did being snarky at me make you feel better? Because of a variety of reasonably big catastrophes/events over the past several months, I've barely had time to go geocaching and wasn't really aware of the mapping situation when I posted and hadn't seen anything when I skimmed the forums. BUT, if you've had some tough times and getting angry at me helped you feel better, well, I guess I understand...sort of.

This has been a problem for nearly a year.

This has been a problem for nearly a year.

Really? You're going to keep up being mean? You come deal with my Alzheimer mother, my father who lost a bunch of his faculties when he went into a diabetic coma almost a year ago. Come help me with the stress of a spouse trying to get his degree while having to cope with a 3 hour per day commute and a tense job. It's too late for you to come help me deal with my kids loading up and moving to to California.

I will no longer be your punching bag. Your attitude towards a total stranger who had come into an unexpected situation in a hobby which she had PREVIOUSLY enjoyed is reprehensible.

Good luck, cachers with your hobby. Done now.

If you de-select all cache types from the controls at the left side of the mapping screen, only the caches from the pocket query will remain displayed on the map.

Yes, I know it's not quite the same - every cache has the pinpoint icon instead of its cache type, among other things - but it's an available workaround.

If you de-select all cache types from the controls at the left side of the mapping screen, only the caches from the pocket query will remain displayed on the map.

Yes, I know it's not quite the same - every cache has the pinpoint icon instead of its cache type, among other things - but it's an available workaround.

Sorry, but we are not looking for a workaround, we wait for a fix of this up to now useless function....

Andreas from Germany