How would you describe Geocaching?

As a newbie to caching, I took my Grandkids with me, and afterwards explained the general concept to my 36 year old son(Their Father).

Roughly I said it equated to letterboxing (which he knew of) with a GPSr.

After a small discussion, he pronounced his view as, 'Orienteering for Trainspotters'.

Has anybody got a better/funnier three word summation of the game?

By the way, he has since started caching with his family, and really enjoys it.

I've struggled over the years how to describe geocaching to muggles.

It depends on who you are talking to:

1 - To regular muggles, I describe it as "Treasure hunting with a GPS" Then I explain that you do not keep the cache, but sign the logbook and rehide it.

2 - To LEOs, I describe it as "A game using a GPS" Then explain what a cache is and who/why it is hidden. Also explain that the caches are harmless.

3 - To Border Patrol / Customs / Homeland Security people, I describe it as "A game using a GPS" Do not use the words "treasure hunt" as this gets them really suspicious (seems there are laws about foreign nationals treasure hunting (in the tradition gold / silver / jewels sense.) Then I describe what a cache is, who/why it is hidden, why we look for these things, and about not keeping the cache but rehiding it. This also is important, as they ask if I'm going to bring anything back with me. For this situation, I just sign the log book and do not trade.

I try not to use lingo such as cache with newbies as it sounds like cash and treasure hunting only adds to the confusion.
I use the term "scavenger hunt" rather than "treasure hunt". But given the name "geocaching", I think avoiding the term "cache" is a lost cause. When I teach geocaching classes for kids, I do explain the difference between cache and cash though.

As far as explaining Geocaching to authorities/land owners (as opposed to people you know) I've started carrying around some printed out Geocaching brochures. I figure, for those that have a need to know what exactly it is, or possibly for someone who finds the idea interesting and might want to try it, that will explain it better then I could. (In the case of an LEO encounter, maybe they can take it back and share it with others so that the next time they encounter a Geocacher they'll understand. Assuming they don't already know about it, haven't had any LEO encounters and the one "authority figure" encounter I had seemed to know what Geocaching is.)

Official brochures:

http://www.geocaching.com/tools/default.aspx#Guide

GPS Easter Egg hunt.

I use this, as well. I think it conveys the idea that the items we are seeking have no significant value. This avoids the unfortunate assumptions that often go along with "treasure hunt."

It's more then 3 words though. ;)

More seriously, that's actually not a bad description (at least in places where Easter is celebrated) as long as it doesn't make people think there is candy inside. :)

When I attempt to explain the gave to people I begin with, " It's like a year round scavenger hunt". They always ask the same thing. What do you get for finding them . That's when you lose the ones that don't really have interest in it. " So why do you find them" they ask. I always reply the same, "because it's fun and addictive...trust me it's a lot funner then it sounds"