Windows Phone 7 v2.3 Release

The latest version of Geocaching for Windows Phone 7 is now available in Marketplace. Thank you for your patience while we worked on getting this update in the store! We hope you enjoy the new version and look forward to releasing a much quicker update next time.

New features:

• Favorite points display for geocache listings

• Option to set the default map view preference

• Trackables support for picking up and visiting Trackables in caches

• Display of smiley icons on map pins for caches you found

Bug fixes:

• Several stability issues causing server connection errors and affecting offline cache usage have been addressed

Please visit our Feedback site if you have any ideas for future feature enhancements. :grin:

Not showing as an update yet. Went to Marketplace. Still shows v2.2 for download.

Sometimes it can take a short time to appear in Marketplace. According to our control panel the app is published so it shouldn't be long now.

I'm still showing V 2.2 in Marketplace, but yes, my experience is that it can take several hours or more to update. The last app I updated, it showed in Marketplace in about 4 hours, but it would not update on my phone until the next day, and it was MY App! That's a Microsoft issue.

Well, the good news is that 2.3 is available to update. Only problem is that after I click update I get the messgage 'There is a problem completing your request. Try again later. Error code:c101a7d4'. Not sure if it's my phone or the marketplace. I'll keep trying.

I've finally got it (although my live tiles are having a problem so I didn't see there was an update available.) I saw 2.3 was available on the marketplace but I wasn't given the option to update so I uninstalled then installed the updated version. All I need now is a little time to use it and see how it goes but first impression - the initial screen comes up much more quickly (with no server errors), clicking on it returns the closest caches and my previous finds are hidden (as per my settings.) Also, the problem with displaying metric measurements is fixed (at least on that screen.) All in all, a good start!

I've just come back from looking for a cache I've found before - not a problem and everything responded quickly (and not a server error in sight!) As mentioned above, the compass still leaves a bit to be desired bit it wasn't too far off (certainly close enough to get me in the right general area) - this really does need to be fixed to make this a really useful app; other apps with a compass built in are far more accurate so it doesn't appear to be a platform issue.

Edited by ChrisG2

I just updated to version 2.3.0.0 and when you search for caches the results no longer contain the GPS coordinates. Sometimes I use my phone with my handheld GPS and transfer the coordinates manually from the phone into the GPS (because the GPS is more accurate), but now the coordinates are no longer available. Is there any way I can get the coordinates to display or go back to the previous version?

Update works fine!

I just updated to version 2.3.0.0 and when you search for caches the results no longer contain the GPS coordinates. Sometimes I use my phone with my handheld GPS and transfer the coordinates manually from the phone into the GPS (because the GPS is more accurate), but now the coordinates are no longer available. Is there any way I can get the coordinates to display or go back to the previous version?

You can still see the coordinates by using the compass.

EDIT: I think this is a good decision for the users because normaly you are only interested in the distance and not in the coordinates.

Edited by HaSe02

Ended up having to purchase the app again outside of my AT&T account, but I have 2.3 installed! Definitely faster on the search and maps. :) Saved caches worked great! Still see my own cache on the initial search results, but it removed it from the saved cache. Can't wait to get it out and about tomorrow.

I just installed the new version 2.3.0.0 on my HTC HD7 phone.

Performance looks good, no problem with the server connection until now.

But I noticed problems with the Trackabels in my inventory.

In my inventory I have at current 21 Trackables (TBs and coins).

On the phone application I only get 7 offered, independent if I look in my inventory or if I write a log and want to drop one of them.

So still some work to do to fix bugs ;-)

Great work...

but here are my 2 bugs:

-it don´t save the option to use the streetmap, after restart the satellite view ist activ again

-in the searchresult list: if a cache rate (D or T) with an half star, no stars(an D or T) will display

German version 2.3

Greetings Süffel

Great work...

but here are my 2 bugs:

-it don´t save the option to use the streetmap, after restart the satellite view ist activ again

-in the searchresult list: if a cache rate (D or T) with an half star, no stars(an D or T) will display

German version 2.3

Greetings Süffel

Same for me

Also the stars are not all visible. If for D all 5 stars are displayed there is only space for 4 stars in T.

At least on HTC HD7. Due to the fact that the app still does not rotate you can't see if the rating is 4 or 5 stars.

GeocacheApp1.jpg

But I noticed problems with the Trackabels in my inventory.

In my inventory I have at current 21 Trackables (TBs and coins).

On the phone application I only get 7 offered, independent if I look in my inventory or if I write a log and want to drop one of them.

So still some work to do to fix bugs ;-)

This is due to an issue with the API in which both trackables in your inventory and in your collection are being returned. The app is then hitting the maximum number of trackables that can be displayed before filtering out the items in your collection, leaving only a select few in your inventory available. We are aware of this issue and are working on a fix.

We've just moved from Windows 6.5 (although we are now sorely tempted to go back). We are used to the excellent (and free) Gczii so were quite disappointed by this paid for app.

1 There seems to be no magnetic compass support.

2 The static maps are next to useless (they don't appear to show your position and are just a picture of the cache area)

3 Why does it not seem to be possible to save more than 30 caches? We imported our nearest 500 caches in a PQ for any offline needs. However, when we open the offline cache file in our backpack it only allows us to see 30 of the 500 caches. Is this a bug or are we doing something wrong?

The ST's x

In terms or development requests the feedback site won't take our requests. However, an offline link to software that caches or stores offline maps (Locus for c:geo on Android of Gczii tools for Gczii on Win 6.5) would make the app miles better. We cache in semirural areas in Scotland with mixed 3G coverage and Livemaps alone doesn't perform as well as the alternatives :(

Update works fine!

You can still see the coordinates by using the compass.

EDIT: I think this is a good decision for the users because normaly you are only interested in the distance and not in the coordinates.

I don't mind not having the coordinates on the search results page (it makes sense to limit the data there and more results on screen) but on the cache summary page there is SO MUCH empty unused space that it seems like it should be shown there. I'll echo oestfamily's comment: about half my usage of the app is to find caches that I haven't downloaded to my GPSr and then put the coordinates into the GPSr to find the cache and the current change has me clicking (and waiting for pages to load) multiple times.

Thanks

-Krauss-McClurg

I posted this on the feedback site, but thought it may be worth posting here as well. When I log several (n) trackables as "Visited", rather than each one getting logged once, one of them gets logged several (n) times.

PS: of course this is not Mango. Mango is not officially reliesed yet. The W7 marketplace will not allow Mango apps yet.

The internal compass dosen´t work on the HTC WP7. Why? The API was opened from Microsoft.

The waypoints are doesn´t work! You can creat a waypoint but you can´t show it on the map so you can´t find a multi.

What version of WP7 do you have that has the compass working? 7720? That is not an official release, so you really can not expect GS to reliese a Geocaching app to work with it. However, I have seen an app in the Market place that tried to use the compass, so it may be possible. The compass app wouldn't work on my phone (I have version 7712, havn't updated to 7720 as my computer with Zune crashed).

The internal compass dosen´t work on the HTC WP7. Why? The API was opened from Microsoft.

The waypoints are doesn´t work! You can creat a waypoint but you can´t show it on the map so you can´t find a multi.

Even though the hardware is in the device, the compass API has only been opened by MSFT in the 7.5 version (Mango) that has not yet been released outside of betas and RCs. We won't be right out there in the store the very same day that Mango goes live, but we'll get there shortly afterward. Even then though, it's still up to the hardware vendors to provide the drivers so the OS can recognize the sensors, so you may have to wait for an update from HTC before it's working as expected.

I am not seeing an issue with adding waypoints and seeing them on the map, even when setting my phone to German. However, other German users have reported the same. We are continuing to investigate.

Hallo and thanks for our feedback.

I´m the owner of 2 HTC WP7. One works with the nodo version (7401) and the other is in developer status and works with mango (7720).

On the marketplace you can find the compass app oft HTC and this works with the internal compass (with 7401 and 7720).

@ Andronicus

Please can you tell me the name of the app what you have seen on the marketplace or can you post the link? The apps which i found can´t work with the dates of gps you can also use the internal compass but you can´t enter the coordinates to search the cach or you can enter the coordinates to search the cach but the app doesn´t use the internal compass.

@ Moun10Bike

On July was publisht mango is RTM by Terry Myerson. Also mango is RTM but you (or other developer) can´t grap to the API of the internal compass?

The option waypoint realy doesen´t work on my phone. Furthermore I cant use the function "search" by adress or zipcode. I can "use" it but result is "no results found". Is this a bug or ist this function not working in germany or can i use this function only as a premium member?

regards

Edited by turboINTERCEPTOR

@ Moun10Bike

On July was publisht mango is RTM by Terry Myerson. Also mango is RTM but you (or other developer) can´t grap to the API of the internal compass?

The option waypoint realy doesen´t work on my phone. Furthermore I cant use the function "search" by adress or zipcode. I can "use" it but result is "no results found". Is this a bug or ist this function not working in germany or can i use this function only as a premium member?

Mango is in release candidate phase (RC), not RTM: http://create.msdn.com/en-us/home/getting_started. We want to wait for RTM before releasing against Mango.

We are aware of the search and waypoint creation issues when the phone is set to German. We have the former fixed and the issue will be corrected in the next release. We are having more issues reproing the latter issues but are investigating.

Mango is in release candidate phase (RC), not RTM: http://create.msdn.com/en-us/home/getting_started. We want to wait for RTM before releasing against Mango.

On the blog of Frank Prengel or Terry Myerson i can read "mango is rtm". this entry is from 07-26-11.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/07/26/windows-phone-mango-released-to-manufacturing.aspx

@ Andronicus

Please can you tell me the name of the app what you have seen on the marketplace or can you post the link? The apps which i found can´t work with the dates of gps you can also use the internal compass but you can´t enter the coordinates to search the cach or you can enter the coordinates to search the cach but the app doesn´t use the internal compass.

OK, I just updated my phone to 7720 (RTM). The compass still does not work. Presumably this is because there are no drivers for it. I think that when the LG Retail Mango is available, it will work (I have a LG Quantum Optimus 7).

Anyway, the app I was mentioning is "Compass Expert". It is just a compass though. I don't think many developers are putting compass capabilities into their apps because only a hand full of users are able to use it.

I already brought this up in the Feedback forum, but thought it may be usefull to mention here.

Version 2.3 offline cacheing is even worse then the previous version.

-I can not recall more than 20 caches from a saved list.

-I can not sort caches. Whenever I try, it selects the cache that is behind the sort option.

-The saved Map photos do not seem to work at all (they are blank).

Running Mango on a Samsung Focus. 99% of quick searches fail with a non-descriptive error. However, I can see some results behind the loading screen that I can't get to!

So for now, I find the cache on the website through IE, then search by GC code to get to the cache I want. Hoping a Mango-compatible release comes soon. I'm a new geocacher and I'm excited to really get started. :)

Edited by Entegy

Running Mango on a Samsung Focus. 99% of quick searches fail with a non-descriptive error. However, I can see some results behind the loading screen that I can't get to!

So for now, I find the cache on the website through IE, then search by GC code to get to the cache I want. Hoping a Mango-compatible release comes soon. I'm a new geocacher and I'm excited to really get started. :)

I'm also getting errors on my Focus every time I try to quick search. It says "There was an error processing your request. Please try again later." I currently have the trial version installed. Is this working for any other Focus users who have the Mango update?

Thanks!

I'm also getting errors on my Focus every time I try to quick search. It says "There was an error processing your request. Please try again later." I currently have the trial version installed. Is this working for any other Focus users who have the Mango update?

Thanks!

Those issues have been fixed in the V2.4 beta releases.

I also get the no line breaks issue. Kind of anoying.

i have the trial version 2.3 in german, and the most times i use the quicksearch, i will end in an error-message which says: "FEHLER beim bearbeiten deiner anfrage trat ein fehler auf. probiere es bitte später noch einmal"! it means: there was an error while working on your request, please try again later.

when i try later, its has the the same "success".

this ist now for weeks the same, sometimes it works, but i would guess on 30 attempts ist works just one time.

does anybody know, what i can do?

thanks

We are aware of some issues with the trial version. We are determining how best to move forward, and apologize with the ongoing problem.

so its a known problem, or am i the only one?

Some users are experiencing issues with the trial version of the app.

We are aware of some issues with the trial version. We are determining how best to move forward, and apologize with the ongoing problem.

so its a known problem, or am i the only one?

Some users are experiencing issues with the trial version of the app.

so what you are saying is, that the full version is proper and will not have this error?

because i wont buy an app, which isnt working...