dartmoor epic

The-Oggy

good day to you all.

im relitavly new to caching having only scored 19 around my hometown in hayle cornwall.

i want to do some mor challanging caches on dartmoor.

and i need help getting some ideas.

here are a few paramaters.

1. i like it wild. less populated the better. happy camping on rough ground.

2. i like rare and infrequently visited caches.

3. bigger the cache the better.

4. will be going for a weekend so nice views and personal favourites are welcome.

i hope you all can help me. im dediated to caching now

thank you

Dartmoor Dave has two series out - "walk on the wild side" and "heads of the rivers trek" - which go well out into the northern half of the moor with a decent walk between caches . . . I enjoyed these, even the ones I did in the (inevitable) rain. Some great scenery, and very few people about. ::o)

(It being Dartmoor, you'll probably trip over quite a few letterboxes - traditional ones, not geocache/letterbox hybrids - as well. Maybe consider carrying an ink pad and a blank notebook for an extra dimension to the "finding hidden stuff" game?)

(Edited to stop the smiley showing as something different.)

Edited by Harry the furry squid

Firstly welcome to geocaching SirAdamCollins! :) Like you I'm Cornish based (Penryn) and fairly new to this. The wife and I have done three walks on Dartmoor recently and can whole heartedly recommend the moor. :)

First one was a 10.5 mile walk from Princetown taking in Swelltor, Kingstor, Ingra Tor and Leedon Tor with 27 caches along the way - plenty of interest including the former GWR line and tramway to Princetown as well as the excellent granite quarries all around. Some of the walk is easy going on the former railway line but a lot is onto Dartmoor 'proper'. The second one linked up South Hessary Tor, Devonport Leat, Crazywell Pool, Black Tor and Hart Tor - something like 7 miles in total; once again from Princetown.

Yesterday we did the 10 caches around Feather Tor, Heckwood Tor and Pew Tor from the car park on the Tavistock - Merrivale road about 5.5 miles and a lovely corner of the moors. North of there is Cox's Tor and Staple Tor - plenty of caches there, though we're yet to do them! :)

Why not consider Bodmin Moor as well - a great experience often overlooked in favour of Dartmoor. On Sunday I did an 11.2 mile walk for 12 caches across Showery Tor, Brown Willy, Butter's Tor, Garrow Tor, Alex Tor and Logan's Rock - just as good as the three Dartmoor walks. :)

If you want I can send some details of these walks to you. :)

You probably already have them but I can recommend the OS 1:25000 maps - even with GPS they're invaluable for the bigger picture.

We saw plenty of places to rough camp and are considering it ourselves on Dartmoor in the future. :)

Have fun. :)

The fab thing about Dartmoor is that you can pretty much strike off in any direction and make a great walk out of it - pick a cache and off you go! Some of my favourites that haven't already been mentioned are places like High Willhays, Wistman's Wood and the Potato Cave near Burrator.

It's a year away yet, but if you're into wild camping then keep an eye out for the Carry Your Own camping event next summer.

thank you all so far for the advice

keep it coming all this is getting written down.

my gps is old. its a garmin gps12 so im having to take paper aswell.

does anyone use or have experience of the magellan explorist GC?

iv got my eye on one you see and for dartmoor i think it will be ideal.

please all feel free to PM me with your ideas and suggestions.

im alo happy to meet cachers around hayle for a pint and a chat.

im new to the area and dont know a soul!!! :(

does anyone use or have experience of the magellan explorist GC?

iv got my eye on one you see and for dartmoor i think it will be ideal.

I've got some information on my resource site about Magellan GPS including the features they support, geocaching, paperless and maps etc. No experience of using one though.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

good day to you all.

im relitavly new to caching having only scored 19 around my hometown in hayle cornwall.

i want to do some mor challanging caches on dartmoor.

and i need help getting some ideas.

here are a few paramaters.

1. i like it wild. less populated the better. happy camping on rough ground.

2. i like rare and infrequently visited caches.

3. bigger the cache the better.

4. will be going for a weekend so nice views and personal favourites are welcome.

i hope you all can help me. im dediated to caching now

thank you

Hi

I've done a few caches on the moor and I can suggest that if you require overnight accomodation try Headland Warren Farm. (It wil come up on google)I think that there is a few days option in the winter. Its warm, inside and pretty bleak outside. I usually go at the begining of November and a more isolated stop will be difficult to find.

Good Luck

Roger

Hi

I've done a few caches on the moor and I can suggest that if you require overnight accomodation try Headland Warren Farm. (It wil come up on google)I think that there is a few days option in the winter. Its warm, inside and pretty bleak outside. I usually go at the begining of November and a more isolated stop will be difficult to find.

Good Luck

Roger

Or take your pick of almost 200 square miles of open moorland that you can still legally wild camp on :):)

I've only done a few but enjoyed them. There are a number around the Headland Farm area, one or two are, or are almost, Cache & Dash and some of the others mean that there is rough terrain to cross. I would suggest centering on the Farm and open the map out so see all of them on the high moor. A couple of good ones are near Grimspound (An well preserved Bronze Age village) which is about a mile from the farm and there is another at Postbridge where there is a fine example of an old clapper bridge.

Roger

Spooky ! - There is one here in Cornwall near Loe Bar. Several caches on the 5 mile route around Loe Pool, one of them called (unsuprisingly) The Cave, which is not in the cave but outside. I poked my head in and had the fright of my life as a youngster came clambering out. He told me that it goes in about 30 feet, then opens into a cavern where several tunnels lead off. I opted not to go in !

Spooky ! - There is one here in Cornwall near Loe Bar. Several caches on the 5 mile route around Loe Pool, one of them called (unsuprisingly) The Cave, which is not in the cave but outside. I poked my head in and had the fright of my life as a youngster came clambering out. He told me that it goes in about 30 feet, then opens into a cavern where several tunnels lead off. I opted not to go in !

Interesting.

Haven't walked around the Penrose Walk since out with parents as a child about (mumble, mumble) years ago. Just been googling to try and find some more info about the cave but can't find anything. Will put it on the "To Do" list for next time we're down that way.

MrsB :)

Be more than happy to meet up SirAdam - funny enough we were enjoying a rather excellent locally bred pasty in Hayle on Saturday before doing the Watch the Birdie cache. :)

excellent. let me know when your next around and have to meet up for a few. just placed my first ever cache. PUDDY BENCH. in hayle towans area. some nice things in there for the FTF

having now commitments to the NCI and work my dartmoor trip is having to be postponed however im still game for going for a day trip on either dart or bodmin moors. bodmin is closer to me and with the ridiculus prices for fuel im loathe to waste any. so suggestions are still very welcome. lots of outstanding information so far. i can assure you all that this is all being written down for the future and your comments and posts are very much appreciated by myself my fiancee (who is glad to get me out from under her feet) and my partner in crime who is not yet a member.

thank you all