First time - quick advice please

Hi there and welcome! It depends entirely on how you want to play the game. Some people (like me, for instance) read through all the various cache pages, the logs, the hints, study the map, work out where to park and look to see what would be doable in the time given (take the time you have got, minus the time taken to read everything, and halve it to give a rough idea!) Depending on who I am caching with, or whether I want a long walk or only have a short time, I choose either ones that are easy 'cache and dash' ones, or if with family, ones that look like you need someone tall (!) or for the exercise, a cache series. These days, I'll also see if there is a back-up option if we don't find the first one we look for. Out 'in the field' I prefer the satellite view map on the phone so I can see if there's a steep drop or other hazard to negotiate. Or if in wilder terrain, use a proper paper map. Once I'm in the general vicinity, I'll start looking at the possibilities.

Other people (like our children) don't do any preparation and once parked will 'follow the arrow' on the GPS (not a lot of map on ours) and are prepared to have a hunt around, especially with the more interesting hides.

My husband likes the maps and also likes to see exactly where the arrow stops, but doesn't like to know the hint unless we get really stuck.

There are lots of hints and tips on what types of caches to look for when starting out, and what to take with you, so it is worth having a read around of the various 'help!' threads on the Starting Up forum here too before you set off.

When you find a cache, sign the log with 'helenellisphoto' (Maybe h.e.s. for short on the tiny ones!) and can opt to swap or not, then with the phone app you can 'post a log/field note' and choose 'found it', write about your experience, attach photos and 'send to geocaching.com' or you can wait until you get back to a computer to log your finds online.

If you don't find the cache, it is still good to log your 'DNF' (did not find) with a bit about how long you looked, and anything that might help without giving too many clues away to other people about the cache hide (and where it 'isn't'.)

(If it is an Earthcache, you need to email the cache owner first and they'll say if you can log your 'found it'.)

Good luck! :D

In its simplest form simply select a cache you want to find and head towards it - the map will zoom in as you approach or if it doesn't then manually zoom.

GPS as a technology is only accurate to about 10ft although your device will likely add to the error margin (it might be even worse if the cache owner took a bad reading.) Once you're within range open your eyes and look around. Use the hint if you're stuck or if you want an easier find.

It really is (or can be) that simple.

There's loads of ways and styles on how people approach this game, indeed I have changed drastically how I play it since I started. I used to read all the pages, print out maps and enjoy hard finds whereas now I prefer the actual walk so I try to find a series of caches (with or without other random caches nearby) and I go out pretty much unprepared - just enjoy the walk and find whatever I find.

Just remember to have fun!! :lol:

Hi there and another welcome to the game! One thing I might respectfully suggest, is to find quite a few caches of different sizes and types before even considering placing one yourself. You will really benefit from the experience of the hunt and will get a better feel for where a good spot for a cache is and how difficulty and terrain ratings work. I'd definitely try a few multis and mysterys as well! Your cache will be well received as a result.

Also phones can be a tad inaccurate when fixing co-ords so you run the risk of publishing a cache with dodgy co-ords if you rely on a single reading so it's a good idea to double check co-ords with GoogleMaps / GoogleEarth or Streetmap.

Anyway, before you think of placing any, I wish you lots of fun finding your first caches!

You can use either the map or the compass, or both. What I usually do is use the map for driving to the cache location, then after I find a place to park, once I'm out on foot I'll switch to compass mode. Then it's just a matter of following the arrow and watching the distance count down till you reach the hiding spot, which we refer to as "Ground Zero". Don't stand there spinning around in circles trying to get the distance to go to absolute zero...sometimes it will, most times it won't, and even if it does "zero out" that's still no guarantee that you're right on top of it. Once you get within 10-15 feet or so, put the phone away and start looking for the cache.

Sometimes as you're approaching Ground Zero it'll be real obvious, even from a distance, where to focus your search (say, a solitary tree in the middle of a park or a light pole.in a parking lot). Other times it's not so obvious. Don't forget to "look" with your hands as well as your eyes...feel under, on top of, inside, and behind things where you can't see (many cachers carry gloves with them for stuff like this, and sticks for poking around in holes)

Also, one of the advantages of caching with an iPhone is having all the cache descriptions, hints, and recent logs available in the field. Use them! A hint or description like "magnetic" should give you a good idea where to start. Make sure you know what size you're looking for, too...micros can obviously be hidden almost anywhere, in any little nook and cranny...smalls not so much, and regulars even less so.

Good luck!

I dont use a Map, never have.

You dont say what phone you are using, I guess it doesnt matter too much but it may help.

I just follow the arrow if I fancy doing a cache or two. I enjoy the fun of getting there as much as I do finding it. Ive never understood those who do too much ground work before they set off.

Just get up and off you go! :lol:

Just got the app on my phone. Managed to find some local ones near me. What do we do?? Do we just go to the location and select compass or use maps?? The what happens? Sorry to ask such a basic questions to you all, but just need some help to get started. Thanks,

Glad you enjoyed your first find! Hope you get the chance to go out caching again soon! :D