html frustration

Hesamati

Does anyone know of a good, consistent and foolproof WORD to html converter from which you can just copy and paste the html code into a cache description w/o any problems? I've tried several but they either give you a very complicated file 10 times the size or gibberish in GC.com (the "clean" html apps), so I always end up coding by hand. Now I'm sitting with a cache description where GC.com consistently deletes ~50 words in the middle of the description and also bungles up the coding from there on!! :mad: There's nothing extraordinary about the section, the deletion site has NO code/formatting and I've tried an intermediate unformatted c&p step to try and get rid of hidden Word related formatting and even retyping by hand... [imagine emoticon pulling his hair out!]

Does anyone know of a good, consistent and foolproof WORD to html converter from which you can just copy and paste the html code into a cache description w/o any problems? I've tried several but they either give you a very complicated file 10 times the size or gibberish in GC.com (the "clean" html apps), so I always end up coding by hand. Now I'm sitting with a cache description where GC.com consistently deletes ~50 words in the middle of the description and also bungles up the coding from there on!! :mad: There's nothing extraordinary about the section, the deletion site has NO code/formatting and I've tried an intermediate unformatted c&p step to try and get rid of hidden Word related formatting and even retyping by hand... [imagine emoticon pulling his hair out!]

Kuck hier.

http://mygeotools.de/tools/editor/

Gruss von Cache Fan

There is no such thin Hesmati - word sucks at html and always will.

Use writearea -its a firefox plugin (if you are not a firefox user here is a reason to become one!)

https://addons.mozil...don/write-area/

This lets you edit in html on the text box on the cache page - shoudl be more than good enough for cache listings.

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000

I agree with the above. Microsoft and html don't mix that well. I use a free program called notebook++ it is a text editor designed for coding, and helps you see if you've formatted everything correctly. From your description it sounds like you left off a > and it is putting those 50 words inside a tag, which it doesn't understand that the when it hits a full tag again starts going, which is why the code is weird from then on.

The easiest way is what Trev said. Write area allows you to click on any html entry box and pops up a new box which allows you to do anything you want. You then click save and it converts all that you have done to html in the original box. Your listings easily have any effect/picture/etc that you want.

smiley-computer009.gif

As an aside, something to remember when coding cache pages. HTML can really mess with users that have paperless GPS units. Many times I cannot see any part of the page or I get all the code when viewing on my gps. This can be especially frustrating on Earthcaches and Virtuals where I need to get information from the site to log a find.

So even though it may look beautiful on your computer, please think about the user in the field and leave off unnecessary html formatting.

Thanks everyone!

@ the Trev-Doc-Fox love triangle :P: I use FF (you 2 convinced me long ago) and have used write-area but I gave me some trouble (can't remember what, think it was the tables in spring tide) but I was ready to give it another go but now it hasn't been supported by at least the last 2 FF versions. Am I missing something...?

@ mr pand: you missed the FOOLproof part...! Down loaded notebook+++ (and some other html editors) just to wipe them again - too complicated for what I want to do (and can handle :blink:). No there's nothing that warrant the deletion - checked a million times.

@ cache-fan: Thanks this seem to work best so far. Just don't like the fact that it's online.

@ webscouter and chingha: Nothing too complicated just want to "order" the info in an earth cache (a solid block of text is also off putting). This is why I'm usually able to do it by hand - just wanted a short cut.

@ the rest: thanks will give them a go.

Thanks everyone!

@ the Trev-Doc-Fox love triangle :P: I use FF (you 2 convinced me long ago) and have used write-area but I gave me some trouble (can't remember what, think it was the tables in spring tide) but I was ready to give it another go but now it hasn't been supported by at least the last 2 FF versions. Am I missing something...?

@ mr pand: you missed the FOOLproof part...! Down loaded notebook+++ (and some other html editors) just to wipe them again - too complicated for what I want to

Another happy customer - now I just have to get you to dump windows for Linux! Just to put my linux where my mouth is I will happily provide a copy of any of the last three versions of ubuntu and the latest linuxmint and debian to anyone who wants them - I'll burn the cd/dvd you just need to collect! Or just download! Just to explain - Ubuntu is derived from Debian., Linuxmint is based on Ubuntu but with all the nice stuff like mp3 and video codecs built-in! That probably measn nothing to most of you but out of the three Linuxmint is likley to work the best with the least effort!

I am happily using writearea in FF6 and never had to do anything - at each upgrade it checks and updates the plugins

Writearea is version 1.0.0 last update 20/1/2011

I too have seen broken cache descriptions on my Nuvi 200 but I suspect strongly it is the filthy HTML that Word produces that is causing those issues!

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000

Tommy Two Gates never fear I have a copy of this addon - it has not been updated since 2011 and the website is defunct and you are right - I can't find it but its still installed in all my browser and I am sending you the xpi file so you can try it.

Bear in mind that I am using an old version of firefox 20.0 and firefox is on 29.0.1 so there is a strong chance the addon will not be compatible - but you are free to try because it is a great addon

Anyone else wanting a copy to try is welcome to email me and I will send the file

Trev

Cheesy fonts courtesy of WriteArea!!!!!

I can confirm write area works in firefox 29.0.1 - this is proof!!!!!

Edited by trevorh7000