Finding archived cache by name

georgrd

Is it possible to find an archived cache, if the GC number is unknown but the name?

You can search for archived caches by GC number but not by name.

If you know the name of the geocacher who owns the archived cache, then you can check their profile and search through the chaches they own. The archived ones will still be listed there.

Also, if you know the name of a geocacher who once found the archived cache, then you can search through their list of finds.

Is it possible to find an archived cache, if the GC number is unknown but the name?

You can search for archived caches by GC number but not by name.

If you know the name of the geocacher who owns the archived cache, then you can check their profile and search through the chaches they own. The archived ones will still be listed there.

Also, if you know the name of a geocacher who once found the archived cache, then you can search through their list of finds.

---> That was just the way I succeeded in my special request for "Ruediger's Loch" - I found someone who found this T5 cache in 2008.

Thanks for the reply. I hoped there may be a general way to find such archived cache next time if I know only the name.

(Here we go again)

Why is it you want to know?

If you want to go and search for an archived cache, then please take this into consideration:

While many caches are archived for lack of maintenance, or because they disappear, many are archived because people who live/ work in the area have complained about them. When I toured Groundspeak they said they get about one call a week complaining about a cache.

When you search for a cache that has been archived because of a complaint, then you can aggravate a situation you know nothing about. You can give caching a very bad name.

Such as a neighbor complains about a cache that is making the dog bark all the time. You go in and make the dog bark more, and he becomes unglued because Groundspeak promised to take care of the situation when he called.

Or a cache is actually on private property, when someone thought it was not over the property line. The land-owner desires utter privacy and thought he took care of the situation by contacting Groundspeak, and now more people are showing up digging through the bushes on his land.

To keep Geocaching from getting a bad name in the public eye, please don't search for archived caches unless you really, really know for certain why the cache was archived.

The only valid reason to look for it would be if it were missing and you thought it was really there (that I can think of, I'm sure there are more). Then why would you look for a cache that is not there?

am sure I could think of a few reasons to look up archived caches. What if I wanted to create a cache in a spot and was curious what happened to the last cache in the area. Or, maybe I heard about this really hard to find cache that had many DNFs and cool logs, but its archived, so I wanted to find it for a good read. Or, maybe its an archived cache that is part of a mystery cache solution and you need to locate it. I can think of a number of puzzles that have archived caches as part of them.

Lets say the cache is circa 2007 and was archived say in 2009. However, there was another cache nearby about the same age, or was at least alive when that one was. Figure out what date the cachers found the other one and check their finds on the same date. Chances are a number of them found them both the same day. Its how I found a number of caches on some islands I was researching.

Edited by lamoracke

This is what I am trying to do right now too. I found a cache along the Colorado Rver in AZ that I am guessing is archived. I have been looking at nearby finds to see if I can guess who the CO may be or if any locals may have found this unknown one. Not having much luck. :(

Around the Laughlin area?? I may have logged it if it was

edit to add how about some coords :)

Edited by vagabond

This is what I am trying to do right now too. I found a cache along the Colorado Rver in AZ that I am guessing is archived. I have been looking at nearby finds to see if I can guess who the CO may be or if any locals may have found this unknown one. Not having much luck. :(

Around the Laughlin area?? I may have logged it if it was

edit to add how about some coords :)

It was just above Willow Beach. A tiny little cubby hole above Emerald Cave. Here's the spot on the kayaking trip we did: http://g.co/maps/vufe4

Coordinates are 35.89181,-114.686752

Wish I could attach the picture.

It was just above Willow Beach. A tiny little cubby hole above Emerald Cave. Here's the spot on the kayaking trip we did: http://g.co/maps/vufe4

Coordinates are 35.89181,-114.686752

Congrats! You found a cache that was never published. And it won't be, as it is in the Lake Mead recreational area, which is run by the National Park Service.

I was wondering if it was around Willow Beach. Great set of books by one of the NPS Rangers that was stationed there called, "Hey, Ranger!"

Oh well, hope you had a great kayak trip :)

Kinda thought that was the case. Log was a notebook and it has years of visits. Hoped that it was live at one point and archived. Kayak trip was great! Got my NV badge and was hoping to make some finds on the AZ side too.

Here's the cache. Our guide tells us that the ammo can got swiped and the contents were dumped here. :(

emerald.jpg

And here is our way back down. A cliff jump into the water. It was pretty sweet.

cliff.jpg