geocaching.com down

Yes it's slow, but be patient. These last two Sundays are the first time the site has been slow since the Spring server upgrade. I'm sure they'll work out a fix. Also it is Sunday so that means no one is probably at work which means it will take a little longer to fix.

No. I am a customer. I don't need to be patient. It is Sunday, so that means their customers are mostly not at work. If they introduce STUPID stuff that breaks the site they NEED to be at work. If they want Sunday off, make the site stable and reliable.

While we wait for what we paid for, how about we all just watch The Block Party Video.

Last week I posted a criticism of Jeremy and Brian celebrating at the Block Party while GC.com burned. It got DELETED. Lets see how long this post is here.

Wow, this kind of statement is the kind that I get on a daily basis fixing computers. The "customer" is NOT always right. The "customer" does not have the right to demand anything from the business they use. What right do you get for your $30 dollars a year? You have the right to not renew your Premium Membership. Your rights are also made clear in the Terms of Use under item 10: NO WARRANTIES. It could be weeks before the site was working and your only recourse would be what I described previously. Just because you are inconvenienced does not mean you "don't need to be patient". Actually, you can be as patient or impatient as you like, but that is not because you have the right as a customer. You have the right to be reasonable or unreasonable, to be a jerk or to not be a jerk because you are human. Being a customer doesn't enter into it. I get screamed at on a daily basis by people with your attitude. I've had people throw their computers at me, threaten to kill me and been yelled at with language that would make a Somali Pirate Blush, all because they don't need to be patient because they are the customer. Some of the folks on this site take the cake though, so much entitlement for $30 a year. Wow.

Thankfully, Groundspeak DOES give us plenty of opportunity to be heard and has systems in place to take customer feedback. While I don't always agree with Groundspeaks decisions (Especially Mr Jeremy's), I do appreciate the fact that they have more discourse with their customer base than almost any other company I can think of.

Edited by Hypnopaedia

Some of the folks on this site take the cake though, so much entitlement for $30 a year. Wow.

I see the $30/year tossed around a lot as being inconsequential. While it is true that $30 is a drop in the bucket for a lot of us, it is relatively expensive in regards to all other websites most of us frequent. And I think it is this reason for which people expect a higher degree of stability.

While I will agree that $30/year does not give you the right to bash Groundspeak, its employees, or its volunteers, paying customers do have the right to complain when the service they paid for, however cheap that service might be, is not functioning as advertised.

Posting on Jeremy's servers asking why he played the fiddle while Rome burned was out of line. But one can't help wonder why they would roll out such a huge new feature days before a huge event and not ensure that someone was manning the servers last weekend. Maybe they were. In fact, given that it appeared they disabled some features to get things running again, they most likely were. But to the untrained eye it could easily be seen as the boss was out of pocket while major problems were occuring.

For me the issue is not with a one off event. I get that little tweak in my neck because it's more like here we go again. You get tired of experiencing this over and over.

The fix as a consumer? Quit supporting shoddy service.

The reality is the service is good enough most of the time so that you keep paying your money to play the game you love.

Personally, I pay for a premium account so I can chat in Off Topic. How pathetic am I? :blink:

We've been caching since '04. We took a 2 yr break because we were raising our daughter. We just started caching again...and the site's down.

OK, now we know who to blame :lol:

A few weeks ago I almost shelled out $30 for a premium membership, then everything went to pot.

Well, a PM (and up to date PQs) actually allow you to go caching with all the info when the site is down.

Hmm, I'm going to enable my "new caches placed in last week" PQ to auto-run every Saturday to avoid the Sunday Crawl.

We've been caching since '04. We took a 2 yr break because we were raising our daughter. We just started caching again...and the site's down.

A few weeks ago I almost shelled out $30 for a premium membership, then everything went to pot.

Well, a PM (and up to date PQs) actually allow you to go caching with all the info when the site is down.

Hmm, I'm going to enable my "new caches placed in last week" PQ to auto-run every Saturday to avoid the Sunday Crawl.

I can save caches offline. And I did go geocaching on Sunday with my saved caches.

I suppose you have a good way to log your caches when the site is down with your premium membership?

I can save caches offline. And I did go geocaching on Sunday with my saved caches.

I suppose you have a good way to log your caches when the site is down with your premium membership?

With GSAK and recently refreshed PQs, I have most of the functionality of the site - view caches on a map, see descriptions, hints, past logs, without getting my blood pressure up when scrolling on the map takes 30 seconds to refresh, or having to hit reload 5 times in order to get a cache page displayed properly. I like to plan my trip before leaving to do some caching. If the site is down, I can use GSAK to do that.

I sense sarcasm and hostility in your logging comment, not sure why. I do need the info before I go caching, but I don't need to log them the moment I get back. I also use field notes (not a PM benefit, btw) and it makes logging very convenient when I have more than a few caches to log.

Get a PM (if you want to) for the other benefits, treat this as a bonus workaround, don't make it the reason to get a PM - that'll be really dumb. I'd give up geocaching first before rewarding a company for its ineptitude.

I can't believe I didn't notice your handle before! Don't you know there's only room for one Hypno round these parts?