geocaching.com down

Just the same as last Sunday. Then everyone said "it's down to International Geocaching Day/Block Party/Challenges".

But isn't every day "International Geocaching Day"! Sing along with me... HHHmmmmmm...

"Let the bells ring let the choir sing,

I wanna hear the sound,

Somewhere out there there’s something we share,

Its where our love is found,

So if you cant be with me now I know that if we sing somehow we’ll be together.

Wishing that everyday was like...

Everyday was like...

Everyday was like International Geocaching Day

Everyday was International Geocaching Day

Everyday was International Geocaching Daaaaaay"

Here in Slovakia is geocaching.com unaccessible too. Each time I try to connect to geocaching.com I get "Connection closed by remote server" message. No luct via GSAK (geocaching api) either :(

I want to run some of my PQ, because tomorrow I plan little geocaching trip and now I cant. Is this what we are paying for ?

I`m certain Groundspeak team is working on this problem right now, so we can only hope this will be resolved asap and never happen again (which I doubt, because for past few weeks this repeats again and again :( ).

Can someone from Groundspeak team tell us what is the problem ? Maybe we can help :)

Here's a suggestion. Might be radical but let's go with it:

Ensure the site is usable on a Sunday afternoon. This is a basic and a must.

Once that's achieved, feel free to continue to introduce new features no-one wants.

A&B

IM TOTALLY AGREE

I do not care what happened in the last fifteen minutes. If I want to see your avetar I will open your profile page. A Smiley face next to the cache log was just fine.

Yes it's slow, but be patient. These last two Sundays are the first time the site has been slow since the Spring server upgrade. I'm sure they'll work out a fix. Also it is Sunday so that means no one is probably at work which means it will take a little longer to fix.

Yes it's slow, but be patient. These last two Sundays are the first time the site has been slow since the Spring server upgrade. I'm sure they'll work out a fix. Also it is Sunday so that means no one is probably at work which means it will take a little longer to fix.

No. I am a customer. I don't need to be patient. It is Sunday, so that means their customers are mostly not at work. If they introduce STUPID stuff that breaks the site they NEED to be at work. If they want Sunday off, make the site stable and reliable.

While we wait for what we paid for, how about we all just watch The Block Party Video.

Last week I posted a criticism of Jeremy and Brian celebrating at the Block Party while GC.com burned. It got DELETED. Lets see how long this post is here.

No matter how much I love geocaching and everything that Groundspeak does I do have to admit that their lack of site stability is rather disappointing. On days like today, it almost makes me want to find a new hobby.

That statement should be both alarming to Groundspeak (ie: potential to lose customers) and known to be more boast than action (addicts rarely stray).

Oh well - I'm sure it'll be back tomorrow.

No. I am a customer. I don't need to be patient. It is Sunday, so that means their customers are mostly not at work. If they introduce STUPID stuff that breaks the site they NEED to be at work. If they want Sunday off, make the site stable and reliable.

While we wait for what we paid for, how about we all just watch The Block Party Video.

Last week I posted a criticism of Jeremy and Brian celebrating at the Block Party while GC.com burned. It got DELETED. Lets see how long this post is here.

I used to be patient. For several years I was patient. Now I am annoyed, bordering on disgruntled.

It seems to be running now. Any chance it will stay that way for more than a few hours?

This is getting beyond a joke. We found 28 caches today and over the last three hours we have been able to log just five. We have typed our logs, pressed Submit and then the system has crashed and everything is lost.

We used to enjoy a day's caching. When we got home we would have a couple of G&Ts and do our logging - no hassle. Now we dread the thought of logging. You have taken much of the fun out of geocaching.

Come on GS - get rid of resource hungry challenges and avatars. Concentrate on the important issues. Invest in the infrastructure. If you don't others might and that would be a shame.

Monday though Friday works fine for most businesses.

But for a business the lives and breaths weekends, you would think they'd at least keep an engineer on duty during the weekend.

Last weekend I wrote it off due to International Geocaching Day and all the Block Party events. This weekend? The ET event maybe? Eh...

Is it something from the last update - either something about Challenges or the extra load time of avatars on the cache page logs stressing servers when there's the usual peak in traffic over the weekends? Or something else?

A few weeks ago I almost shelled out $30 for a premium membership, then evrything went to pot.

Dude... you sure you wanna post that sort of information here on a public forum? Or, are you in California, where it is almost legal?

It's actually here in BC where it's mostly legal.

I understand that you need a medical reason. Is short-term memory loss sufficient for that?

A few weeks ago I almost shelled out $30 for a premium membership, then evrything went to pot.

Dude... you sure you wanna post that sort of information here on a public forum? Or, are you in California, where it is almost legal?

I understand that you need a medical reason. Is short-term memory loss sufficient for that?

What were we just talking about? :unsure:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the biggest geocaching weekends of the year.

It is the end of summer and everyone is getting out while they still can. Schools start soon, fall starts soon, everyone is out getting in their last caches.

We had a big event here in Seattle. A great paddle caching event today. We had over 25 people in boats. We each got around 15 caches or so. Not 51, but still it adds up.

I wonder how many other events or people were celebrating the summer while it's still here. Obviously, a lot of them.

Rather than complain about the speed of this site, I'm going to rejoice that we had sun here and great weather so I was able to go get some caches to complain about logging.

It was an awesome day!!!!

Hellifiremember. But while we're on the subject, do you think that "cotton mouth" and "red eye" medical terms?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the biggest geocaching weekends of the year.

It is the end of summer and everyone is getting out while they still can. Schools start soon, fall starts soon, everyone is out getting in their last caches.

We had a big event here in Seattle. A great paddle caching event today. We had over 25 people in boats. We each got around 15 caches or so. Not 51, but still it adds up.

I wonder how many other events or people were celebrating the summer while it's still here. Obviously, a lot of them.

Rather than complain about the speed of this site, I'm going to rejoice that we had sun here and great weather so I was able to go get some caches to complain about logging.

It was an awesome day!!!!

So, you are saying that Groundspeak didn't plan for the worst possible scenario? How dare you! :lol:

Hellifiremember. But while we're on the subject, do you think that "cotton mouth" and "red eye" medical terms?

Not sure about red eye, but I know pink eye is. And whether it's an official term, my doctor warned me that the medication he put me on would cause cotton mouth; and he was correctomudo.

I just think they need more servers. I wonder what they are doing with our Premium Membership dollars?dry.gif LOL, J/k!laughing.gif

Poor programming and poor database usage won't usually be fixed long term by throwing more hardware at it.

Most likely, something in the update last week, went untested, and is now hitting the database harder than expected.

Its not likely that there are significantly more users now than there were a couple weeks ago, and at that time the site didn't dog down as bad.