Can't restore waypoints and tracks to 62s after v3.4 update

seldom_sn

Prior to updating to 62s v3.4, I used BaseCamp to export the unit's tracks and waypoints to a file I called 62sbackup.gpx

As instructed by the update, I then deleted the \Garmin\GPX folder on the 62s, and ran the software update.

Then I imported 62sbackup.gpx into BaseCamp and used BaseCamp to send the imported file back to the unit.

The current file structure for tracks is \Garmin\GPX\Track1.....Track25.

The current file structure for waypoints is a single file \Garmin\GPX\Waypoints.gpx.

Of the 25 restored tracks only 5 show in the 62s.

The one track I made after the software update also shows.

No waypoints show in the 62s.

Did the update change the folder structure or did it change the format of the GPX files themselves?

Hmmm... I've updated to v3.4 and didn't get prompted to delete anything. Check to be sure you have the Garmin/GPS folder in the unit. And, if you do, for giggles pull the SD card out and reboot it.

Garmin\GPS?

Folders in my Garmin folder are: Birdseye, CustomMaps, CustomSymbols, ExtData, Filters, GPX, JPEG, Profiles, and Text. There is no GPS folder. Am I missing something?

The directions for basecamp did not make much sense to me. For my 550T, I deleted my tracks off my card and my PQ. Then upgraded. I then used GSAK to put the caches back and then directly placed my gpx file with my tracks on my card and it works fine. I don't use basecamp to load tracks or waypoints.

Hmmm... I've updated to v3.4 and didn't get prompted to delete anything. Check to be sure you have the Garmin/GPS folder in the unit. And, if you do, for giggles pull the SD card out and reboot it.

Garmin\GPS?

Folders in my Garmin folder are: Birdseye, CustomMaps, CustomSymbols, ExtData, Filters, GPX, JPEG, Profiles, and Text. There is no GPS folder. Am I missing something?

Oooops, I did mean GPX, got fat fingered.

I haven't upgraded my 62st's firmware to 3.4 yet. Here's what bugs me most about this firmware update forcing me to go through the export-delete-upgrade-import dance: BaseCamp's inability to handle -- and leave alone -- my multiple identically named waypoints and tracks. If I go through with this upgrade (which frankly doesn't look like it adds up to much), I am forced to go through my list and rename hundreds of pieces of data. Why would BaseCamp care that I have 200 waypoints representing various walleye holes named 'W'? Each is at a unique spot on the map. I certainly have no need for unique names such as 'W83' and 'W195' when moving between these unique spots... Worse yet are the BWCA campsites that I have named with their (non-unique) lake-specific numbers rather than their (unique) wilderness-specific numbers. So, instead of sites numbered '4' on various lakes, I have '4', '41', '42', etc, making it difficult to know when I have completed my task when changing them back...

What's the real reason for the need to delete and re-import?