LOG TOO FULL TO SIGN

Monterry

We have 85 caches placed everywhere so cachers can have a great adventure. I know it is our responsibility to keep our caches in great order but when some cacher goes out in the rain and claims the cache but could not sign it cause log was wet, it really ticks me off. wE TRAVEL WITH A FULL KIT...EXTRA LOGS, EXTRA SWag, extra plastic bags, pencils etc. Would it be unreasonnable to ask a cacher to slip a dry piece of paper in a log????? Sorry but that really makes me want to archive each and every one of my caches to avoid the "cursed" 'needs attention. We are a community ....is it wrong to help a little? If so, we have been wrong a lot! We have even replaced broken containers! Someone tell me is this a game or a marshall law sport?

No one sets up a cache assuming it will be looked after. However, no one sets up a cache thinking that in pooring rain, the cahe will remain dry.DUHHH

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but I expect my caches to stay dry in the rain. Obviously cachers need to take care with the logs and cache containers if they open them up in the rain, but I expect my cache logs to stay dry even in bad weather. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

No one sets up a cache assuming it will be looked after. However, no one sets up a cache thinking that in pooring rain, the cahe will remain dry.DUHHH

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but I expect my caches to stay dry in the rain. Obviously cachers need to take care with the logs and cache containers if they open them up in the rain, but I expect my cache logs to stay dry even in bad weather. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

I agree.

As a CO when we had wet log reports it usually meant we chose a poor container - in the early days we tried a few dollar store containers, none of them held up. Lesson learned. I've replaced those containers with lock n locks. We also have a couple of ammo can hides. The only time we had a report of a wet cache was because a baggie got caught in the seal. I replaced the logbook and damaged swag. We currently have 17 active caches. I don't think I could handle more then 20 cache hides. When they start to become boring or a chore to maintain, I post a note that I'll be archiving the cache shortly, then disable the cache when I'm ready to retrieve it and archive when I get home. That way finders are forewarned and don't waste a trip out (gas prices are too high). That opens up the area for other cachers to hide and I have the fun of finding some new local caches. Cache ownership is a big responsibility but a well maintained cache usually gets some nice logs, and that's a big part of the reward.

I have 46 active caches, 20 are bison tubes along a trail. For the most part I don't have to do much but the 20 bison tubes I have had to change the logs twice in less than a year due to the more than 100 visits by cachers on average. Mental note, don't use bison tubes on a power trail. I have had people repair minor damage to my caches over the years and it is always welcome. I don't expect this as they are my caches. This part of owning a cache.

We have 85 caches placed everywhere so cachers can have a great adventure. I know it is our responsibility to keep our caches in great order but when some cacher goes out in the rain and claims the cache but could not sign it cause log was wet, it really ticks me off. wE TRAVEL WITH A FULL KIT...EXTRA LOGS, EXTRA SWag, extra plastic bags, pencils etc. Would it be unreasonnable to ask a cacher to slip a dry piece of paper in a log????? Sorry but that really makes me want to archive each and every one of my caches to avoid the "cursed" 'needs attention. We are a community ....is it wrong to help a little? If so, we have been wrong a lot! We have even replaced broken containers! Someone tell me is this a game or a marshall law sport?

don't assume that if you haul around a full geocaching kit everyone HAS to do the same

i prefer to travel light and most times i don't even have a piece of paper with me, if i do though i will leave it behind as temporary measure but you will still get a NM log

and why exactly is it that you think NM log is "cursed"? its just an efficient way to let you know that you need to attend to your caches

i have a few caches out there and i never placed them on the premise that someone else will fix them for me, if they do its much appreciated but in no way i demand that they do

i agree with BlueDeuce

on a somewhat related note...what is with ontario cachers overreacting lately, some to the point of quitting? lol

Edited by t4e

I looked through a few pages of your caches and saw that on one of your caches a volunteer reviewer was asking that you just post a CO note that you checked on the cache and that all is well. There were indeed other cachers who helped out the cache in that instance. Not sure what the problem is.

I agree with AT, it looks like the general response of cachers has been ok. You may be holding back some details that will help us understand why you feel so strongly. All CO's have to deal with maintenance at some point, but not all are inspired to archive every hide they have as a result.

I have replaced a few wet logs in my travels. Sometimes the moisture is condensation, but it is a fine point between damp and wet.

The concern I have is if you leave the wet log in the cache, it will never dry, but I often wonder if the CO wants the old log back.

I try and carry a couple extra logs. I buy a package of adding machine tape at a office supply ( 1.5") and a bag of 100 small bags form a craft store. It is an easy job watching TV or a movie to pull of a meter and roll it up and bag it. I have taken the paper and bags to events and let others make up a few of their own. One roll and a bag of bags can make a good prize as well.

" Do unto other caches as you would have others do unto yours!" :D

Edited by murfster

It's funny how often people agree to the listing requirements and guidelines but either didn't actually read them or over time have forgotten what they agreed to.

Cache Maintenance

Recently I found a cache that I think most people would agree should be preserved. The container is basically destroyed. And while I could have fixed it, I didn't. It's not my job. Sure it would be nice to do it, but cache owners need to take ownership of the duties they agreed to. But my view has always been that anything that leads to a cache being archived is 100% due to the choices of the cache owner.

And yeah, there does seem to be a lot of whining going on lately... especially on social media sites. And a lot of people acting like they need to be involved in the affairs of other people. So much assumed injustice, opinions on how things should be done or improved, and on and on. Sometimes I get the feeling that people just want to debate, fight and argue just for the sake of it. People would do better to focus on accepting things... challenge yourself, not others.

B) BQ

Nice that the rain is dry in your part of the universe.

Why not ask people to take backpacks with ammo cans in them too. And replacement swag too, in case your cache goes missing.

Seriously - getting ticked off because a finder didn't bring a replacement log? Replacing a log sheet is a nice gesture but once you start EXPECTING that of a visitor you are crossing a line.

Feel free to archive the caches you do not wish to maintain anymore.

Why not ask people to take backpacks with ammo cans in them too. And replacement swag too, in case your cache goes missing.

Seriously - getting ticked off because a finder didn't bring a replacement log? Replacing a log sheet is a nice gesture but once you start EXPECTING that of a visitor you are crossing a line.

Feel free to archive the caches you do not wish to maintain anymore.

Exactly as NorthernPenguin said......

After reading your comments under other peoples quotes... Grow up and stop whining like a baby... if you dont want to maintain your caches... ARCHIVE THEM.......

No one should be placing a cache assuming others are obligated to do the maintenance for them.

DUHHHHH

Odd coming from the person who said:

Would it be unreasonnable to ask a cacher to slip a dry piece of paper in a log????? Sorry but that really makes me want to archive each and every one of my caches to avoid the "cursed" 'needs attention. We are a community ....is it wrong to help a little? If so, we have been wrong a lot! We have even replaced broken containers! Someone tell me is this a game or a marshall law sport?

<_<

I never carry swag, paper, baggies, containers etc with me to caches. I'm lucky if I remember my pen. I have had 2 of my cache containers replaced by cachers (one twice, it's far from me) and although I was very grateful, I was also embarrassed. That's my responsibility, not that of fellow cachers, and I should have gone out there to replace the lid/log/container or whatever myself. I have a few caches closer to me (multi's) that have had a few maintenance issues and frankly I just don't want to make the time to maintain them, so instead of relying on or expecting others to step up, I archived them.

We'll replace or add a log if we have something with us. If the log is full and we don't have something, we always manage to squeeze our sigs in somehow. We also make a note in our online log, letting the CO know that the log is full/getting full. We appreciate a heads up on that or any other issues, but don't expect others to do it for us. If they do we are grateful.

When we cached using paper printouts we always had the means to leave something for a log, but we are now paperless so that makes it tricky.

Part of the reason I have only one hide, and we have 15 between us, is being able to stay on top of maintenance.

I replaced 2 caches. The CO haven't even logged into the website in a long time. The one just logged in to sign up for the account, plant the cache and hasn't been heard of again. I replaced his cache. It should last a few years and then it will degrade again. I messaged the CO and got no response so I put them on my watch list. I hate to leave them all degrading for someone else to find like that, I feel compelled to fix them. I usually replace log books regularly. I have found only 80 caches and have gone through at least a dozen log books or more. When I take my mother out she insists we stock them up. I think she thinks we are Santas elves.

I replaced 2 caches. The CO haven't even logged into the website in a long time. The one just logged in to sign up for the account, plant the cache and hasn't been heard of again. I replaced his cache. It should last a few years and then it will degrade again. I messaged the CO and got no response so I put them on my watch list. I hate to leave them all degrading for someone else to find like that, I feel compelled to fix them. I usually replace log books regularly. I have found only 80 caches and have gone through at least a dozen log books or more. When I take my mother out she insists we stock them up. I think she thinks we are Santas elves.

I've added scraps of paper many times due to full logs and I've always commented about it when I log the find. Unfortunately, the comments go "un-acted" upon a lot of the time. I don't think a responsible CO needs a NM to see that the log sheets are full, just read what people are saying.

And these kind of logs are pretty silly too. But I guess they won't get the excitement out of this cool cache like we did. But to presume that you can just log it as a find because you were there? That would mean all the ones we get close enough to and not actually find, we can sign as a find? LOL!

Consider it a find?

We've been too busy maintaining our caches to visit these threads :anitongue::laughing:

Three more caches to go this fall and we're all fixed and ready for hopefully another year. It's become an obsession, getting all of them fixed or archived.

I can't count the number of times we have stopped to check a cache while we were 'in the neighbourhood' and found it to be horrid shape. The recent logs don't give an inking of any issue! Is this because people are getting lackadaisical about logging anything useful or because stinky caches are more the norm than the exception?

I always think that any of our caches could be found by a newbie on their very first cache hunt and what impression do I want our cache to give?

This weekend will see us finished, come he** or high water!

i'm just new but i have a habit of carrying extra log sheets just in case one is full but i do agree they should be maintained by the owner there is one in my area was so excited to find my first but i can't even go find it as it appears by the comments that it has been muggled but the owner has said nothing to this i will try to find it but if i don't i guess i will put a maintenance request and hope the owner does reply but its sad when an owner don't even take care of them and they get muggled or destroyed takes the fun out of geocatching especially for a newbie geocatcher

I have over 160 hides, about 145 still active.

I do 2 maintenance runs a year, one in the spring and one in the fall, as well as when I'm notified of an issue with a cache of mine.

I placed all of them, and I maintain all of them, it is nice when another cacher replaces a damp log for me, but I do not expect them to.

Now being the owner of multiple caches, all 3 of my vehicles have a full stock of containers,logs, swag and pencils, so if I come across a cache that needs a little help, I don't mind.

Bottom line, if you place em' be prepared to maintain em'

It's funny how often people agree to the listing requirements and guidelines but either didn't actually read them or over time have forgotten what they agreed to.

Cache Maintenance

Recently I found a cache that I think most people would agree should be preserved. The container is basically destroyed. And while I could have fixed it, I didn't. It's not my job. Sure it would be nice to do it, but cache owners need to take ownership of the duties they agreed to. But my view has always been that anything that leads to a cache being archived is 100% due to the choices of the cache owner.

And yeah, there does seem to be a lot of whining going on lately... especially on social media sites. And a lot of people acting like they need to be involved in the affairs of other people. So much assumed injustice, opinions on how things should be done or improved, and on and on. Sometimes I get the feeling that people just want to debate, fight and argue just for the sake of it. People would do better to focus on accepting things... challenge yourself, not others.

B) BQ

Awesome Post and well said

I see a lot of caches have been archived, and a couple found after the fact. I am hoping that the CO continues to be a good citizen and not leave the caches as geo-litter...

Here is my 2 cents....

This is one of my biggest pet peaves and I am actually doing something about it. From the time I started caching, I have used PQ's so I have 90% of all the archived caches in gsak. I have made myself an open bookmark list and have added all the archived caches in the province. In the notes field, I have posted either they have been cleaned up or gone awal or just blank.

Now I'm not a fan of caches getting archived that are still out there. I know gc.com don't want to deal with the geo-litter issue due to archiving a cache (even though they are helping in creating the issue this way)for IMHO, legal reasons. So I have been taking it on as a project to check the sites and clean them up.

In the last few weeks, I have been cleaning up caches from a cacher that just disabled all there caches and posted "REMOVE" on all there cache pages. I have sent 5 email to the owner with no answer and the reviewer has done the same. Now the last two days, I have been checking on another AWOL cacher and found 2 of there caches archived (one from 4 years ago) with absolutly nothing wrong with them. One cache was archived because someone posted it was on posted land, and it was not... and the other because there were 2 DNF's posted and a cacher posted it was gone yet it was still there.

I do not have a problem with maintaining a cache that is not mine. I have gone back and even walked over 2 miles to replace a container for another cacher. But the issue still remains the same... when a cacher leaves the area or quits, it is hard to clean up the sites when they get archived and lost in the system.

So when I remove a cache, after I have tried contacting the owner for about 30 days if disabled (Unless the cache is already archived), I have been retreving the cache containers and posting a note on the cache page of what i have done and why and if they would like the cache back, I will keep it for 90 days. This is the only route I could think of to address geo-litter and the black eye it could possibly give to geocaching and geocachers as a whole. As we all know, landmanagers, parks, etc. dislike this issue.

Just my 2 cents..... comments???

parker2

I see a lot of caches have been archived, and a couple found after the fact. I am hoping that the CO continues to be a good citizen and not leave the caches as geo-litter...

Here is my 2 cents....

This is one of my biggest pet peaves and I am actually doing something about it. From the time I started caching, I have used PQ's so I have 90% of all the archived caches in gsak. I have made myself an open bookmark list and have added all the archived caches in the province. In the notes field, I have posted either they have been cleaned up or gone awal or just blank.

Now I'm not a fan of caches getting archived that are still out there. I know gc.com don't want to deal with the geo-litter issue due to archiving a cache (even though they are helping in creating the issue this way)for IMHO, legal reasons. So I have been taking it on as a project to check the sites and clean them up.

In the last few weeks, I have been cleaning up caches from a cacher that just disabled all there caches and posted "REMOVE" on all there cache pages. I have sent 5 email to the owner with no answer and the reviewer has done the same. Now the last two days, I have been checking on another AWOL cacher and found 2 of there caches archived (one from 4 years ago) with absolutly nothing wrong with them. One cache was archived because someone posted it was on posted land, and it was not... and the other because there were 2 DNF's posted and a cacher posted it was gone yet it was still there.

I do not have a problem with maintaining a cache that is not mine. I have gone back and even walked over 2 miles to replace a container for another cacher. But the issue still remains the same... when a cacher leaves the area or quits, it is hard to clean up the sites when they get archived and lost in the system.

So when I remove a cache, after I have tried contacting the owner for about 30 days if disabled (Unless the cache is already archived), I have been retreving the cache containers and posting a note on the cache page of what i have done and why and if they would like the cache back, I will keep it for 90 days. This is the only route I could think of to address geo-litter and the black eye it could possibly give to geocaching and geocachers as a whole. As we all know, landmanagers, parks, etc. dislike this issue.

Just my 2 cents..... comments???

parker2

Thumbs up. Really good of you to do this much work. I'm especially in agreement with going through the process....contacting the owner (since it may be listed on another site -- highly unlikely but some of my letterboxes are also posted on letterboxing databases), waiting 30 days then picking up the cache so it is no longer geolitter. Holding onto it for 90 days is generous of you and a good idea. Good community service. Kudos.

I've added scraps of paper many times due to full logs and I've always commented about it when I log the find. Unfortunately, the comments go "un-acted" upon a lot of the time. I don't think a responsible CO needs a NM to see that the log sheets are full, just read what people are saying.