Finding your own cache

Is it right to find your own cache? I've seen it being a practise around here.

It's perfectly acceptable and expected to find your own cache in order to check on it and perform maintenance. It is highly frowned upon to log a find on your own cache! In fact, those who do subject themselves to ridicule by the geocaching community.

Is it right to find your own cache?

Most Cache Owners already know where their caches are, so it's kind of weird if you log a find on yours. If there's a particular reason to do so, for list organization or whatever, or if you just feel the need, it's OK.

But do what I do whenever I log one of my caches as a find. Make a nice Found It log:

"I had no trouble finding this great cache after reading the excellent cache page. The craftsmanship is obvious, it's one of the finest caches I've ever seen. Special thanks to the Cache Owner who's obviously intelligent as well as very good-looking, well-dressed and charming. I look forward to finding all of this CO's wonderful caches."

Edited by kunarion

But do what I do whenever I log one of my caches as a find. Make a nice Found It log:

"I had no trouble finding this great cache after reading the excellent cache page. The craftsmanship is obvious, it's one of the finest caches I've ever seen. Special thanks to the Cache Owner who's obviously intelligent as well as very good-looking, well-dressed and charming. I look forward to finding all of this CO's wonderful caches."

Love it!

Do whatever you want. There are no rules against it otherwise it wouldn't show up as an option. If a stranger frowns upon it, who cares? Don't let wannabe know-it-alls dictate how you choose to play. If other people have nothing else to do but worry about someone else's stats and caching practices, well then, that's pretty sad, lol. I would actually laugh my arse off if someone scolded me for doing that.

I don't log mine as finds but just might start doing it since it seems some cachers feel the need to re-hide some of my caches in another spot. There is one cache I have and I can never seem to find when it comes to replacing the log. Twice now, I and fellow cachers who know exactly where it was originally placed, have had to search over 45 minutes for it, LOL! It wasn't even in the same friggin tree! If I have to spend that much time to find my own cache which someone felt the need to re-hide, well then I might as well just sign it as a find next time since it was found in a new hiding spot anyhow, eh?

Also, my family and I share an account, so if a member wanted to go and find some of the caches I hid without them, why shouldn't they be able to log them as finds?

Most Cache Owners already know where their caches are, so it's kind of weird if you log a find on yours. If there's a particular reason to do so, for list organization or whatever, or if you just feel the need, it's OK.

You should favorite that cache!!!!!!!!!!!

You should favorite that cache!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a fine suggestion! :laughing:

I did a maintenance run on a few of my caches and couldn't find them. I had to contact the last finder where they found the cache. The container had been moved over time by lazy cachers. I guess I should log my caches.

You can do whatever you like and if people frown upon it then show them the middle finger. :yikes:

Do whatever you want. There are no rules against it otherwise it wouldn't show up as an option. If a stranger frowns upon it, who cares? Don't let wannabe know-it-alls dictate how you choose to play. If other people have nothing else to do but worry about someone else's stats and caching practices, well then, that's pretty sad, lol. I would actually laugh my arse off if someone scolded me for doing that.

I don't log mine as finds but just might start doing it since it seems some cachers feel the need to re-hide some of my caches in another spot. There is one cache I have and I can never seem to find when it comes to replacing the log. Twice now, I and fellow cachers who know exactly where it was originally placed, have had to search over 45 minutes for it, LOL! It wasn't even in the same friggin tree! If I have to spend that much time to find my own cache which someone felt the need to re-hide, well then I might as well just sign it as a find next time since it was found in a new hiding spot anyhow, eh?

Also, my family and I share an account, so if a member wanted to go and find some of the caches I hid without them, why shouldn't they be able to log them as finds?

I would say your last paragraph is pretty much why they have left the ability to do this intact. That, and of course later adopting caches you've found while not the owner.

I have to disagree with most of the rest of your post though. Every time this topic comes up, there are several "do whatever you want, it doesn't affect anyone" type responses, taking Libertarian principles to the extreme. In reality, who logs caches they hid themselves as found? Pretty much no one. I've seen two, what I would describe as "rather eccentric" :lol: people do this in my entire 8+ year Geocaching career. (not counting people who cluelessy do it without knowing what they're doing).

I would say your last paragraph is pretty much why they have left the ability to do this intact. That, and of course later adopting caches you've found while not the owner.

I have to disagree with most of the rest of your post though. Every time this topic comes up, there are several "do whatever you want, it doesn't affect anyone" type responses, taking Libertarian principles to the extreme. In reality, who logs caches they hid themselves as found? Pretty much no one. I've seen two, what I would describe as "rather eccentric" :lol: people do this in my entire 8+ year Geocaching career. (not counting people who cluelessy do it without knowing what they're doing).

How does it affect me or you or anyone if someone logs a find on their own cache? Either way, we are both strangers to the OP and are giving our own opinions on the matter. What makes your post the correct answer and mine not? It is up to each person how they want to geocache and what caches they want to log.

I'm sure he values all the comments on this thread and I'm sure he'll take all these comments into consideration and decide for himself. Just because you know of two eccentric people who logged their own caches in your "8+ Geocaching career" that makes you an authority? Do you personally go through every person's account and read every single log to see who logged their own cache?

Next time I do maintenance on one of my caches and it is in a different spot, I will log it as a find. I'll also save you some time and post it on the boards here that I did so you can scold me and call me eccentric.

Disagreeing is fine with me, but your opinion is no more right or wrong than mine or any others. In reality, you can log how you want, I'll log how I want and everyone else can log how they want.

Next time I do maintenance on one of my caches and it is in a different spot, I will log it as a find. I'll also save you some time and post it on the boards here that I did so you can scold me and call me eccentric.

Disagreeing is fine with me, but your opinion is no more right or wrong than mine or any others. In reality, you can log how you want, I'll log how I want and everyone else can log how they want.

I geocache by placing a container for others to find. To claim an additional stat for something that I already placed ain't got anything to with geocaching. You might want to pretend it does.

Over all, I'd say its frowned on so no, but I think there are two scenario's where its acceptable.

1 - If its a cache that you have adopted, and you've never found it in the past, after all, you've never found it, so you probably have no significant knowledge or experience about how its hidden.

2 - If its a challenge (I mean a real challenge, not this new stuff floating around), such as a delorme challenge, county challenge, those type of caches, because the real goal in those is completing the challenge, not finding the final.

Edited by Potato Finder

How does it affect me or you or anyone if someone logs a find on their own cache? Either way, we are both strangers to the OP and are giving our own opinions on the matter. What makes your post the correct answer and mine not? It is up to each person how they want to geocache and what caches they want to log.

I'm sure he values all the comments on this thread and I'm sure he'll take all these comments into consideration and decide for himself. Just because you know of two eccentric people who logged their own caches in your "8+ Geocaching career" that makes you an authority? Do you personally go through every person's account and read every single log to see who logged their own cache?

Really no need to go into a 4 paragraph rebuttal. I think it is totally disingenuous of you, or any of the other posters over the years, to go with the "do whatever you want" post on the subject, especially when new Geocachers are asking the question. Statisically, no one does this. I think the Knowledge Books Article Logging My Own Cache which being a knowledge books article, we could call "policy", explains it just fine.

By the way, I have logged DNF's on my own caches that have been moved, and I couldn't find myself on attempted maintenance visits. :D

Really no need to go into a 4 paragraph rebuttal. I think it is totally disingenuous of you, or any of the other posters over the years, to go with the "do whatever you want" post on the subject, especially when new Geocachers are asking the question. Statisically, no one does this. I think the Knowledge Books Article Logging My Own Cache which being a knowledge books article, we could call "policy", explains it just fine.

By the way, I have logged DNF's on my own caches that have been moved, and I couldn't find myself on attempted maintenance visits. :D

Well, allow me to rebutt paragraph 4 then. Disagreeing is fine with me, but your opinion is no more right or wrong than mine or any others. In reality, you can log how you want, I'll log how I want and everyone else can log how they want.

Bad form or not, the site allows you to log a find just as much as it lets you log a DNF(which I have done also..nothing new or special about that).

And for the record, I am Indigenous not disingenuous. Spell check might not have caught that but it should have caught "Statisically".

Oh my. How ostentatious! This whole nitpicking thing on spelling, grammar and word usage is rather very pedantic. Actually the word, "disingenuous" was used in the right context. It just means making a situation overly simple. I don't think the person really cares in this case whether another person is indigenous or not. Actually the word indigenous shouldn't have been capitalized. It's not derived from a proper noun.

Now, for the issue at hand, the Knowledge Book clearly states:

"Can I log a find on my own cache? What about when I go back to visit?

It is considered "bad form" to log a find on your own cache, no matter when you do it. The same is true if you re-visit another traditional cache (for example to place or retrieve a travel bug). Use the "post a note" log option to record your visit in these circumstances.

In either case, you're not "finding" a cache because you already know where it is. Save the smiley face for use when you've truly discovered a hidden cache."

"Bad form" is not a "policy". It's not even a rule. It just says that you're not playing the game right if you do that. I could tell someone to go jump in the lake...it's considered "bad form", but there's no law against it.

Oh my. How ostentatious! This whole nitpicking thing on spelling, grammar and word usage is rather very pedantic. Actually the word, "disingenuous" was used in the right context. It just means making a situation overly simple. I don't think the person really cares in this case whether another person is indigenous or not. Actually the word indigenous shouldn't have been capitalized. It's not derived from a proper noun.

It is considered "bad form" to log a find on your own cache, no matter when you do it. The same is true if you re-visit another traditional cache (for example to place or retrieve a travel bug). Use the "post a note" log option to record your visit in these circumstances.

In either case, you're not "finding" a cache because you already know where it is. Save the smiley face for use when you've truly discovered a hidden cache."

"Bad form" is not a "policy". It's not even a rule. It just says that you're not playing the game right if you do that. I could tell someone to go jump in the lake...it's considered "bad form", but there's no law against it.

LMAO! I finally found something to help keep me awake on nightshifts.....

Can you use smaller words, please? I'm actually Injun and the white man took away my Big Book of English Words.

Is "policy" the same thing as policy? If so, why the need for quotes?

Wait a minute, if you can claim that you didn't find it (even though you know where it was) doesn't it stand to reason that you could therefore find said cache? Knowing the container and GZ is what many cachers are privy to, I often see an exact description of the container in the cache description, so how is this any different? Not that I would ever log my own hides... that's for disingenuous eccentrics! :ph34r:

Indubitably, indigenous disingenous eccentrics will do as they will.

(Another vote here for 'Don't log a cache that you placed yourself'.)*

MrsB

* ... although a few, rare, get-out clauses may apply. :)

Edited to remove extraneous 'for' which crept into my original post surreptitiously. Those wishing to view my original post, including the aforementioned 'for', can do so forthwith in the following post.

Edited by The Blorenges

Indubitably, indigenous disingenous eccentrics will do as they will.

(Another vote for here for 'Don't log a cache that you placed yourself'.)*

MrsB

* ... although a few, rare, get-out clauses may apply. :)

Roses are red,

Violets are blue,

I'm a schizophrenic....

and so am I.

I know my opinion is right. Otherwise I would be posting falsehoods and that would be bad form in the forums.

As for claiming a find on your own cache, I would have to say bad form. Even if it is a challenge cache I would still say no. In the grand scheme of things one could ask what would it hurt? A few finds amongst thousands. I would ask whats the point. Only a few finds amongst thousands. I would equate it to lying about which cache you found for a milestone.

At the end of the day the only person you have to answer to is yourself. Be honest with yourself and if you can live with it, it is your choice. As others have pointed out though, be prepared for some finger pointing.

LMAO! I finally found something to help keep me awake on nightshifts.....

Can you use smaller words, please? I'm actually Injun and the white man took away my Big Book of English Words.

Is "policy" the same thing as policy? If so, why the need for quotes?

Well darn..I'm sorry to hear that some "white man" took away one of your books. Feel free to call the local police. I'm sure they'll catch that varmint. You're going to have to give the officer a better description though.

In the mean time, feel free to use mine. Big Book of English Words

Well, allow me to rebutt paragraph 4 then. Disagreeing is fine with me, but your opinion is no more right or wrong than mine or any others. In reality, you can log how you want, I'll log how I want and everyone else can log how they want.

Bad form or not, the site allows you to log a find just as much as it lets you log a DNF(which I have done also..nothing new or special about that).

And for the record, I am Indigenous not disingenuous. Spell check might not have caught that but it should have caught "Statisically".

Oh, c'mon cut me some slack, it was late. Like Midnight, I think. No, I actually don't remember either word being underlined. :P

If someone asked if it was OK to walk around with toilet paper stuck to his shoe "Do it if you want and if other people have nothing else to do but worry about what is stuck to your shoe that's pretty sad" would not be a helpful answer.

When somebody asks a question like this he usually wants to know what the community mores are. "Do whatever you want" is not a helpful answer. Deriding people who do provide a helpful answer smacks of rank smarminess. Fact of the matter is that the overwhelming majority of geocachers do not log finds on their own caches. That is the more, the norm.

People who do it are often objects of ridicule and scorn. It's the geocaching equivalent of walking around with toilet paper stuck to your shoe.

The correct and most helpful answer would be "Other than a few unusual circumstances, it's generally considered bad form and not something that most geocachers do".

Edited by briansnat

Oh, c'mon cut me some slack, it was late. Like Midnight, I think. No, I actually don't remember either word being underlined. :P

Hehe, thanks for getting my humour(or humor). :rolleyes:

I actually think I have some finds that I've never logged as finds....mainly because I'm not ingenious.

If someone asked if it was OK to walk around with toilet paper stuck to his shoe "Do it if you want and if other people have nothing else to do but worry about what is stuck to your shoe that's pretty sad" would not be a helpful answer.

When somebody asks a question like this he usually wants to know what the community mores are. "Do whatever you want" is not a helpful answer. Deriding people who do provide a helpful answer smacks of rank smarminess. Fact of the matter is that the overwhelming majority of geocachers do not log finds on their own caches. That is the more, the norm.

People who do it are often objects of ridicule and scorn. It's the geocaching equivalent of walking around with toilet paper stuck to your shoe.

The correct and most helpful answer would be "Other than a few unusual circumstances, it generally considered bad form and not something that most geocachers do".

That comparison is the most retarded one ever, lol. But good try.

I never derided anyone either(well, not counting the post I am replying to now) which you would know if you read all the comments thoroughly. Although, I would ride a cowboy to save a horse.

Hehe, thanks for getting my humour(or humor). :rolleyes:

I actually think I have some finds that I've never logged as finds....mainly because I'm not ingenious.

Just forgetful? :huh:

(I'm only joining in 'cos I like a nice array of stacked quotes.) MrsB

1. Geocaching is self regulated. For that reason:

2. There are no rules, only guidelines. Therefore:

3. If somebody feels the need to log their own cache they only have themselves to answer to.

4. If a caching friend goes overseas for an extended period of time, and adopts the caches to another friend who has never found them, i believe it would be the adoptive owner's duty to go find them at their maintenance run, to ascertain their condition. To me that's a find.

5. You can only "find" something if you did not previously know where it was. Therefore you cannot find a cache you hid.

6. That's how Ras_oscar interprets the guidelines into a set of rules that Ras_oscar caches by. How do you interpret them? because:

7. There are no rules only guidelines.

Edited by ras_oscar

And now that you've found it, you can also give it a Favorite point!

[Edit: Boy, was I ever late for the party with that little joke!]

Edited by knowschad

The person walking around with toilet paper stuck to their shoe is not doing it intentionally. I'd consider it more the Geocaching equivalent of a bad toupee....you did it intentionally. You think it makes you look better. Everybody is pointing and laughing at you :)

The only reason I've considered logging a find on my own caches (I didn't) was because I just couldn't stand looking at the map and seeing those "unfound" caches among a vast sea of smilies. I'm glad the new layout marks your caches with a star now so they show as something other than "unfound".

The person walking around with toilet paper stuck to their shoe is not doing it intentionally. I'd consider it more the Geocaching equivalent of a bad toupee....you did it intentionally. You think it makes you look better. Everybody is pointing and laughing at you :)

The only reason I've considered logging a find on my own caches (I didn't) was because I just couldn't stand looking at the map and seeing those "unfound" caches among a vast sea of smilies. I'm glad the new layout marks your caches with a star now so they show as something other than "unfound".

Your own caches have always been marked with a star. Nothing new. Had a good laugh at your toupee line. Thanks :laughing:

A novice doesn't necessarily know that it's not done. Whether or not it's appropriate is a fairly common question here from new cachers. So for someone who is new to the community it would be like someone who goes to a party with toilet paper on his shoe.

For the veteran geocachers who do it, your toupee analogy is an excellent one. Mind if I steal it?

Well, after all the chatter, it seems that you can choose to find your own cache if you want. Guidelines are neither right or wrong. They guide you and you choose what to do. Many have chosen not to sign their own log, but a few do sign their own log.

The geocaching world is not ruled with an iron fist. No one should bully or scold you for something that has nothing to do with them. If someone is harassing you because of the way you geocache just because it doesn't fit their own rules, ignore them or report them.

Well, after all the chatter, it seems that you can choose to find your own cache if you want. Guidelines are neither right or wrong. They guide you and you choose what to do. Many have chosen not to sign their own log, but a few do sign their own log.

The geocaching world is not ruled with an iron fist. No one should bully or scold you for something that has nothing to do with them. If someone is harassing you because of the way you geocache just because it doesn't fit their own rules, ignore them or report them.

I suppose there will be some who would make someone an object of ridicule and scorn over something which has nothing to do with them? And that is okay?

I also suppose there are punk rockers with orange and green mohawks who would poke fun at the guy with a bad toupee? :D

I suppose some people may get annoyed at the punk rockers because they are doing it on purpose and putting it your face. While the guy with the bad toupee is seemingly clueless, but you never know..

You cannot "cheat" in geocaching, until you do cheat of course. I suppose everyone should be made aware of the invisible bounds of conformity. Some may accidentally may go over the line, while others may purposely do it to see what will happen, or to see which is worse.

100 years from now most will think this entire generation is a bunch of fools anyhow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Lu9Ycq64Gy4

All i know is that is may cause blindness and hair to grow on your palms.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

This thread is schedule for odd-numbered months, but I guess we'll have to accept a deviation. Usually someone posts a story about logging a DNF on their own cache, but that important part of the scheduled thread seems to have been missed this time. I haven't done it so I can't fill that in.

Potato Finder summarized well the two situations where I've logged a find on a cache I owned.

In one case, I adopted a cache I had not yet found. I found it and logged a find. Someone else later adopted it from me.

In two cases, I logged finds on challenge caches (not Challenges, grr) which I developed and published. No one has ridiculed for doing so, and I was not even close to being FTF on either. (Of course I realize the claim that I have not experienced ridicule invites ridicule, so I'll say now that I'll only listen to such ridicule from others who have found those caches.)

I placed two caches which someone else has adopted. Because gc.com does not distinguish between hider and owner, I no longer have any strong link to these caches -- a few notes and owner maintenance logs, but nothing that shows on my profile. I've thought about logging finds just to have these links, but I haven't and probably won't -- after all, a found log is still a weak link. The solution here would be for gc.com to make the hider/owner distinction.

All of this really says that it's not your technical relationship to the cache that matters, but whether finding it should be trivial due to your prior relationship with the cache.

Edward