Double quote marks in logs

CacheMonkeez

quote:
Doesn't the UBB code for a URL link require double quotes?

Yes, and that is why they can't be used as regular text. They are assumed to be code. It's a bit silly, but your double apostrophe is a good solution. '' icon_smile.gif ''

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

My observation is that it is not assumed to be code. When I use quotes in the link tag, the quotes are ignored and the link gets hosed. Am I doing something wrong?

quote:
Originally posted by Brainerd:

quote:
Doesn't the UBB code for a URL link require double quotes?

Yes, and that is why they can't be used as regular text. They are assumed to be code. It's a bit silly, but your double apostrophe is a good solution. '' icon_smile.gif ''

__Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.__

Henry David Thoreau

quote:
Originally posted by hammack:

I noticed that double quote marks are not recognized in logs. So I've been using single quote marks twice.

If you want a quote to display in a cache log, use the html quote code: "

So this:

A quote around "this" word.

Looks like this:

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

I want to use quotes (in a find log) with the UBB code for a hyperlink. Double quotes are not recognized so therefore the UBB code for a hyperlink does not work.

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:

I noticed that double quote marks are not recognized in logs. So I've been using single quote marks twice.

If you want a quote to display in a cache log, use the html quote code: _"_

So this:

Looks like this:

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2800.gif

_"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."_

quote:

I want to use quotes (in a find log) with the UBB code for a hyperlink. Double quotes are not recognized so therefore the UBB code for a hyperlink does not work.

The find logs allow only a very small subset of UBB tags. I don't think there's a way to do what you want to do.

--Marky

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Have you tried using Alt+0147 for open quote and Alt+0148 for close quote? (That is - hold down the Alt key while you type 0147 or 0148.)

I think you have to use the numeric keypad rather than the top row numbers, and I'm not sure if it will work on a Mac.

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Have you tried using Alt+0147 for open quote and Alt+0148 for close quote? (That is - hold down the Alt key while you type 0147 or 0148.)

DON'T DO THAT!

Those are not quote characters on any OS except Microsoft Windows. While you think you're saying This cache made me say "wow!" those of us who live blissful Windows-free lives see This cache made me say ?wow!?

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

quote:

_DON'T DO THAT!_

Those are not quote characters on any OS except Microsoft Windows. While you think you're saying _This cache made me say "wow!"_ those of us who live blissful Windows-free lives see _This cache made me say ?wow!?_

Amen to that. Besides causing problems for Macs, they trash up GPX files as well. I've seen some caches where people have used these non-standard quotes around the cache titles. Open them in EasyGPS from a GPX file, and they're garbage.

3608_2800.gif

quote:

First off, UBB codes don't need quotes around them (at least, not the version used on geocaching.com). And the UBB code for hyperlinks isn't supported in cache logs.

3608_2800.gif

Okay, so I've learned something today: Not only will Alt+0147 / 0148 produce the desired effect for the vast majority (“”), it has the added benefit of really p---ing off a very select minority! Except for messing up the GPX files, I really don't see a downside here. Am I missing something? icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:

Okay, so I've learned something today: Not only will Alt+0147 / 0148 produce the desired effect for the vast majority (“”), it has the added benefit of really p---ing off a very select minority! Except for messing up the GPX files, I really don't see a downside here. Am I missing something? icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

Darnit, Travelingman! Now I'm gonna have to wake up my Mac & see what all the hubbub is about. icon_wink.gif Where'd I leave that thing, anyhow...I think one of the kids was playing a game. Ah! There it is.

quote:

Okay, so I've learned something today: Not only will Alt+0147 / 0148 produce the desired effect for the vast majority (“”), it has the added benefit of really p---ing off a very select minority!

Being such a "world traveler", I'm sure you can understand the issues of internationalization and globalization. Those marks will not show up properly on a number of devices including many PDAs, Macs, cell phones, and other non-Windows, non-US devices. It's better form to use techniques that all can use versus a select few...