Lets not cheat!

inthelake

I have actually seen logs where a cacher writes, "(Cacher) made the find while I sat in the car."

How is this person allowed to claim it as a find?

I have also seen, "Signed as (geocache group). (Cacher) made the find while the rest of us were in the restaraunt."

Again, how can they claim it as a find when they never saw it?

Some here would make a mark with something... grass stain, dirt, ashes...
Yep. I've never been without a pen/pencil myself, but I've seen a few logs with "improvised" signatures. There are ways to MacGyver a signature in many situations.

Blood, semen or a yanked out hair will leave your DNA, can't get any more specific than that.

Did that really need to be said?

Need? No. I definitely could have gone on breathing if I hadn't said that.

You could have used a little self-judgement. I'm not freak out about it, but I found that a bit distasteful for a forum like this.

I agree. This is my method to avoid even having to think that way.

0728b510-f562-44a7-8a6f-dc497713c4a7.jpg

The pen is usually clipped to my belt, even when I'm not caching. The Sharpie is attached to my GPSr. The Sharpie is great for wet logs.

I have actually seen logs where a cacher writes, "(Cacher) made the find while I sat in the car."

I have also seen, "Signed as (geocache group). (Cacher) made the find while the rest of us were in the restaraunt."

I can understand the first, not the second. All depends on the circumstances.

Three of us were caching in Hollywood, CA once. Ran into one where there was no parking for blocks. The driver dropped the two of us off and circled the block three times while we did the honors. He claimed a find and neither of us thought any less of him.

Sitting in a restaurant while someone signs my name to the cache in the parking lot. No way!

You should see what goes on during power trail runs.

With a few variations, the finders can be broken down into at least three distinct types:

1 ) Traditionalist. Drive to a cache, get out, find it, sign it, replace, repeat.

2 ) 3 Cache Monte. Three (or more) people in a car, arrive at the first cache armed with a bunch of film cans containing presigned logs. The front passenger hops out, grabs the cache and spits out one of their presigned film cans. He jumps back in the car and the driver proceeds to the next one. Along the way, the front passenger passes the cache to the rear seat passenger, who signs their team name, passing another presigned film can to the front seat passenger. At least, in this endeavor, all three participated in some way.

3 ) Leap Frog. It's a game of 3 Cache Monte played with two or more vehicles. The first car stops at all the odd numbered caches, while the second car stops at all the even numbered caches. For a power trail containing 1000 caches, done by two cars, each car will have driven by 500 caches without even slowing down, yet the occupants will all log finds on all 1000 caches.

There may be other, more bizarre methods, but these are the ones I've seen folks brag about in here. Both the 3 Cache Monte and the Leap Frog method are considered perfectly acceptable caching methods by the owners of these mega-power trails. :blink:

Some here would make a mark with something... grass stain, dirt, ashes...
Yep. I've never been without a pen/pencil myself, but I've seen a few logs with "improvised" signatures. There are ways to MacGyver a signature in many situations.

Blood, semen or a yanked out hair will leave your DNA, can't get any more specific than that.

Did that really need to be said?

Need? No. I definitely could have gone on breathing if I hadn't said that.

You could have used a little self-judgement. I'm not freak out about it, but I found that a bit distasteful for a forum like this.

I agree. This is my method to avoid even having to think that way.

The pen is usually clipped to my belt, even when I'm not caching. The Sharpie is attached to my GPSr. The Sharpie is great for wet logs.

Awesome Idea. I really like the Sharpie attached the the GPS!

THANK YOU for standing for decency! A trait fast unbecoming of many an American, sadly!

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Yes I do:

un·be·com·ingadjective /ˌənbiˈkəmiNG/ 

1. (esp. of clothing or a color) Not flattering
    • - a stout lady in an unbecoming striped sundress

[*](of a person's attitude or behavior) Not fitting or appropriate; unseemly

Web definitions

• indecent: not in keeping with accepted standards of what is right or proper in polite society; "was buried with indecent haste"; "indecorous behavior"; "language unbecoming to a lady"; "unseemly to use profanity"; "moved to curb their untoward ribaldry"

Not every cache is a gift worth receiving.

... in which case, you simply walk away. No need to log a find because you didn't bother to find it. Right?

no need to bother logging a find even if I did find it.

I drove up and saw the cache sitting on top of the skirt. It was magnetic so I signed and attached it to the horizontal section under the skirt. I contacted the CO to let them know that the log was bleeding because someone left it on top of the skirt. After the CO wrote me back, I felt obligated to go back and place the cache exactly where I found it so that the CO didn't have to reset the hide.

If I was logging online I would have ended up deleting my log for that one.

Most of the micros I find are only sought because of the possibility of a enjoyable hunt rather than a robotic one. I saw one LPC that blew my mind in Cleavland It was so difficult to re-hide that I took the thing out of play for two hours.

There was a mach safe that I couldn't find, and couldn't find, and couldn't find, eventually I found its original location because of waas and fresh wood exposed but it was gone, an accident leaving the site caused me to find it. Turns out the CO moved it 6 inches.

Those are just some of the examples of what keeps me finding caches where I wont say thanks. At least I let them know I was there when I sign the log.

THANK YOU for standing for decency! A trait fast unbecoming of many an American, sadly!
Yes I do:

<li>(of a person's attitude or behavior) Not fitting or appropriate; unseemly

Web definitions

• indecent: not in keeping with accepted standards of what is right or proper in polite society; "was buried with indecent haste"; "indecorous behavior"; "language unbecoming to a lady"; "unseemly to use profanity"; "moved to curb their untoward ribaldry"

So why is decency a trait that is not keeping with the standards of what is right and proper in polite society?

When someone arm chair logs a cache it *can* effect others as it might give a false impression to the cache owner and others that want to find it that it's still viable.
However, in the OP's scenario, someone did actually find the cache so no one is given the false impression that the cache is viable because the cache is actually viable.

There's only 3 Geocaching rules that I know of.

Quote from the Geocaching FAQ.......

"What are the rules of geocaching?

1. If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.

2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com."

I guess that I better delete my finds from the last decade or so since I stopped 'writing about my find in the logbook'.

In fact, one was once see at a cache phoning the other members of the "team" telling them he had found the cache so they wouldn't need to bother with it.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply stop geocaching altogether?

Not if one lives in some fantasy world where having a higher number of finds is the key to obtaining respect within one's caching community. :rolleyes:

Edited by DanOCan

I predict that in the near future, and due to ever advancing electronics, one will log a find while at the cache site, communicating with a "chip" within the cache. All data, including username, date, and time of day will instantly be uploaded to geocaching.com thereby eliminating any chance of false logs. It's not far off...

We all have our opinions on what is ok and what is not. I personally have an account for myself (and my kids have their own accounts). I would not want to be on someone else's "team" account. What is the point of logging a cache as "found" if you weren't even there to experience it. Isn't geocaching (even for numbers) still about finding caches?

Either way, it would be a good idea for Groundspeak to have specific "team" accounts, but each individual would still have their own account. Then, the teams numbers would be the total for the family or team, but each cacher could follow their own experiences through their logs.

We all have our opinions on what is ok and what is not. I personally have an account for myself (and my kids have their own accounts). I would not want to be on someone else's "team" account. What is the point of logging a cache as "found" if you weren't even there to experience it. Isn't geocaching (even for numbers) still about finding caches?

Either way, it would be a good idea for Groundspeak to have specific "team" accounts, but each individual would still have their own account. Then, the teams numbers would be the total for the family or team, but each cacher could follow their own experiences through their logs.

Works for me. The teams could even brag about their collective find counts. Of course you would have massive teams accounts and even fantasy leagues. As long as the individual wasn't claiming finds for caches they never visited.

I predict that in the near future, and due to ever advancing electronics, one will log a find while at the cache site, communicating with a "chip" within the cache. All data, including username, date, and time of day will instantly be uploaded to geocaching.com thereby eliminating any chance of false logs. It's not far off...

Still sounds like too much work. I was looking forward to the day when the caches brought themselves to us.

Still sounds like too much work. I was looking forward to the day when the caches brought themselves to us.

Sounds like a Yakov Smirnoff joke. In Soviet Russia, caches find you!

It's here already. A competitors site uses this technology to prove you found the...thing. Right now that's possible if you have a smartphone and download the competitors app. It doesn't allow to enter a written log, but it leaves no doubt that you were there and scanned the code.

Sounds like a Yakov Smirnoff joke. In Soviet Russia, caches find you!

Yes I do:

In that case, your sentence needs a verb.

No... an adverb would need a verb. An adjective would need a noun. The noun is "trait".

Please don't bless me for that, Frank.

Yes I do:

Web definitions

So why is decency a trait that is not keeping with the standards of what is right and proper in polite society?

Hahaha! Yeah, I missed it. You nailed it. :lol:

In fact, one was once see at a cache phoning the other members of the "team" telling them he had found the cache so they wouldn't need to bother with it.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply stop geocaching altogether?

Not if one lives in some fantasy world where having a higher number of finds is the key to obtaining respect within one's caching community. :rolleyes:

Actually, that is no fantasy. At least not in my neck of the woods.

It is the lack of care about being such.

Huh?

Decency is a trait that is not keeping with standards of right and proper, because it is the lack of care about being such?

It sounds like there are a lot of words that don't mean what you think they mean.

Huh?

Decency is a trait that is not keeping with standards of right and proper, because it is the lack of care about being such?

It sounds like there are a lot of words that don't mean what you think they mean.

Oh come on... we all know what he meant.

Why is everyone still here Knit-pickin' in this Cotton-pickin' thread? Ya'll can't do anything by jabbering away, so move on to something else.

An idea, go outdoors, enjoy the sunshine before the snow flies.

Go Geocaching!

Have some FUN!

Granny~

-------------------

Yawn.

Here's what I just read from you, "I don't like reading this thread, therefore it must have no value to anyone else. I should tell people to stop posting to it so that I no longer have to read it. To get them to stop, I'll be creative and tell them to go geocaching."

Why is everyone still here Knit-pickin' in this Cotton-pickin' thread? Ya'll can't do anything by jabbering away, so move on to something else.

Go Geocaching!

Have some FUN!

Granny~

-------------------

Yawn.

Here's what I just read from you, "I don't like reading this thread, therefore it must have no value to anyone else. I should tell people to stop posting to it so that I no longer have to read it. To get them to stop, I'll be creative and tell them to go geocaching."

Quit putting words in my post.

I said what I meant to say.

Granny~

-----------------

Yes I do:
No... an adverb would need a verb. An adjective would need a noun. The noun is "trait".

Actually, the sentence is missing a verb, but it is a common turn of phrase, where the verb is implied. When reading that, it really should read "It is a trait fast unbecoming..." This is, of course, ignoring the larger typo (unless he was really calling being decent unbecoming). I believe, to satisfu all the grammar fiends, it should have read more like this: "THANK YOU for standing for decency! The lack of it is a trait unbecomingof many an American, sadly!"

Of course, I'm running the risk of putting words in his mouth, something Granny reminds us isn't right. :ph34r:

Yes I do:

Nope I will not.... I do have an extra bone though - want it?

Edit: an not a

Edited by Frank Broughton
Yes I do:

Web definitions

Hahaha! Yeah, I missed it. You nailed it. :lol:

nailed it? really now....

Huh?

I ain't gonna go where you are trying to take me... sorry... :unsure:

Yes I do:

Actually, the sentence is missing a verb, but it is a common turn of phrase, where the verb is implied. When reading that, it really should read "It is a trait fast unbecoming..." This is, of course, ignoring the larger typo (unless he was really calling being decent unbecoming). I believe, to satisfu all the grammar fiends, it should have read more like this: "THANK YOU for standing for decency! The lack of it is a trait unbecomingof many an American, sadly!"

Of course, I'm running the risk of putting words in his mouth, something Granny reminds us isn't right. :ph34r:

Ya John, that is what I should have said - but they knew what I was saying all along.... anyways! {grin} do dah day!

Widespread cheating is one of the reasons I decided to stop logging all my finds. No one but me really knows how many caches I have found. This is just my way of dealing with those who blatantly cheat. I can't control their behavior and way of playing, but I sure can control mine!

I hope that you at least post notes to thank those that hid the caches.

Why?

What's the difference between someone logging your cache when they were never there and someone not logging on line when they actually visited the cache and signed the logbook? The on-line logs are skewed either way. But I guess it doesn't matter how others play the game, does it?

John

It matters because most hiders that I know of like to get thanked for their efforts. So... it does matter how others play the game. We don't live in a vacuum.

I agree, it cheapens the game and it cheapens my efforts.

Go Geocaching!

Have some FUN!

Granny~

-------------------

Yawn.

Quit putting words in my post.

I said what I meant to say.

Granny~

-----------------

It's more fun than talking about cheating, which happens about once a fortnight.

And I read your post the same way mushtang did.

So, 143 posts later, and having insulted some and amused others, what have we accomplished? Should we continue to cheat or should we not cheat?
Yes.
+1
How did I know I was gonna laugh again?
Hey, my wife answers questions like that all the time.

To be less obtuse, I'll expand my answer: For those who don't want to "cheat," don't. For those who do want to "cheat," as long as it doesn't effect others, what can it hurt? It's not like there's a big prize for finding the most caches, right?

Platinum Members: See how easy it is to deny the existence of "The Big Cash Pot"?

Are you suggesting that in the 15 months you've played this game this has changed? 'Cuz I'm thinking folks have been doing this group caching thing a lot longer than that. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to learn folks have been practicing alternative logging practices since, oh, June 2000? At least?

I hear that in the inner circles of Geocaching there's word that it wasn't really Mike Teague that found Dave Ulmer's first hide. In fact it was some guy named Floyd Nimrod who was subsequently killed by Mike so Mike could claim the FTF.