Lets not cheat!

inthelake

We mainly cache as a family so to save mom (me) from having to log on 4 different accounts we log on one. If dad is away at work and caches on one of his down days he still logs it under TreasureKid's. We all have our own personal TB's so that those get a visited for who was actually present during the find. We have never considered this cheating as we all sign TreasureKid's and at least one of us is always there to do the signing. We have been thinking of splitting off our 8 year old as he is starting to help with the logs so now that he can do his own he can have his own account. He is also wanting to go with other family's that he has gotten hooked, and this will give him finds of his own. Up till now he has only ever gone with mom or dad as his driver and usually with the 3 year old in tow so there has never been a need for separate accounts.

I went the opposite route. I am the father in a family of four. When I started (last year), I made an account and dove in. My daughter then started to want to come along so I guess at that point we were a team. She didn't come to many, but never did any without me. Now my wife and son are into it also although still not nearly as addicted as I am. I now have accounts for each of the 4 of us. I still need to go back and make log entries for my daughter for the occasions where she was with me as I signed the log. The reason I broke it out into 4 accounts is simple - keep track of reality better. That way if I go back to a certain area and my daughter notices a cache that I've already done, it will show up on her device and be a nice reminder that she hasn't yet had the fun of the find. This way, I can ensure that she doesn't miss out just because one day she was at a play date rather than geocaching with Dad.

I don't care about team aggregate numbers. I just want to make sure that I maximize the opportunity of fun for each family member.

As far as 'cheating' goes, I've never fake logged and never will. It would tarnish my own thoughts about my own adventures and numbers. Why do that? In other words, I don't care about my #'s proving anything to others. For me, the #'s remind me about my fun times. I don't need to lie to myself.

my 2 cents...

Widespread cheating is one of the reasons I decided to stop logging all my finds. No one but me really knows how many caches I have found. This is just my way of dealing with those who blatantly cheat. I can't control their behavior and way of playing, but I sure can control mine!

There's only 3 Geocaching rules that I know of.

Quote from the Geocaching FAQ.......

"What are the rules of geocaching?

1. If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.

2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com."

If you have the Android app, there are 4 rules:

1. If you take something from the geocache, leave something of equal or greater value.

2. Write about your find in the geoache logbook.

3. Return the geocache to its original location.

4. Log your experience online at www.geocaching.com.

I wonder what the iphone app says?

Widespread cheating is one of the reasons I decided to stop logging all my finds. No one but me really knows how many caches I have found. This is just my way of dealing with those who blatantly cheat. I can't control their behavior and way of playing, but I sure can control mine!

1. If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.

Yep. Far more "cheaters" violate rule #3 than rule #2.

Of course these are "rules" only in the informal sense of describing to what to do when you find a geocache. Their origin is from Dave Ulmer's USENET post where he described the first geocache. Nobody had ever hidden a geocache before, so Dave gave instructions as to what to do when you found his cache: "Take something, leave something, and write about it in the log book". There was, of course, no www.geocaching.com to log online yet. Dave also had one more instruction: "Have fun".

1. If you take something from the geocache, leave something of equal or greater value.

so now there are rules with the phones. I thought there were only guidelines. Man I'm behind the times. I still use my old fashion gps with no apps. :blink:

We cache as a family as well - in varying levels of attendance - so we have a shared profile. Mainly I (Noisy Hiker #2) am the cache hunt instigator so I am present at most of the finds. I think there are only 3 caches out of our 90 that I wasn't there for personally.

So I guess for the most part 6NoisyHikers is actually MomAndWhoeverSheCanDragOutWithHer.

I think that if anyone else in the family did a significant amount of caching on their own, they should have their own profile, but only because I look at logs as a journal of personal caching experiences.

That doesn't appear to be the case here though. If the OP is being direct with us, this is a group of unrelated cachers that log a find simply because one of the group put their sticker on the log while the rest were somewhere else putting stickers on logs, all for the purpose of increasing the overall group finds.

IF this is true, then it is a completely different scenario than the one that you describe.

Maybe. I was kinda focusing on the group aspect, as in, "one of the group put their sticker on the log". If everybody has the same sticker, say, with "Team Idaho" on it, and these finds, from all over, are all being logged into the account for "Team Idaho", then I would still claim no foul. A member of the group found it, which gives the group the right to log it. Whether or not they share DNA is irrelevant.

Where it could get convoluted is, say Billy from Team Idaho finds a cache and logs a find on the group account, and on his own account. For me, I see no problem at that point. But if Bobby from Team Idaho logs the same find on his personal account, then I could see that being considered bad form. Not cheating, but enough to get Bobby giggled at during events. :lol:

They say ground speak says if your names in the log that all you need to log the cache, not go to the cache.

"They" are wrong.

Not necessarily. According to the OP, he's talking about a team. My wife, my youngest daughter and myself are a team called "Clan Riffster". If I go play solo in a swamp, locating an ammo can, and put our team moniker in the logbook, do I need to wait for my wife and child to find the cache before claiming it online? Or the other side of the coin; If they decide to nab a few P&Gs, and I stay home because such caches hold little appeal to me, should those not count as finds? How about the edge of the coin? If they are nabbing P&Gs, whilst I'm paddling 12 miles of mangrove tunnels in search of one Lock & Lock, whose finds don't count? Their multiple finds or my one find?

"They" seem to be a collective entity geared toward a common goal.

Groundspeak has recognized team finds for as long as I've been caching.

For arguments sake, let's call their team "Team Idaho". If Billy, (a member of "Team Idaho"), finds a cache in Boise, while Bobby, (also a member of "Team Idaho"), finds a cache in Emmett, while Betty, (again, of "Team Idaho"), hops the state line and finds a cache in Walla Walla, and all three sign the logbook "Team Idaho", whose cache counts? :unsure:

I didn't read it this way. What I think the OP is saying is that a few INDIVIDUALS made a sticker with each of their names (all separate accounts) on the sticker so that when one finds a cache, they can all claim a 'find' because their name is on the sticker (and, subsequently, the log) as well. That would be like you, me, and a few others getting a sticker with each of our names on it (not a single team name) to use when one of us finds a cache so that we can each individually claim a find. I don't see TEAM anywhere. I don't see that they have one shared account, but instead have individual accounts. To me, this is dishonest and tacky. To each his own and it's not going to affect me, but it does show their character.

That doesn't appear to be the case here though. If the OP is being direct with us, this is a group of unrelated cachers that log a find simply because one of the group put their sticker on the log while the rest were somewhere else putting stickers on logs, all for the purpose of increasing the overall group finds.

IF this is true, then it is a completely different scenario than the one that you describe.

Maybe. I was kinda focusing on the group aspect, as in, "one of the group put their sticker on the log". If everybody has the same sticker, say, with "Team Idaho" on it, and these finds, from all over, are all being logged into the account for "Team Idaho", then I would still claim no foul. A member of the group found it, which gives the group the right to log it. Whether or not they share DNA is irrelevant.

Where it could get convoluted is, say Billy from Team Idaho finds a cache and logs a find on the group account, and on his own account. For me, I see no problem at that point. But if Bobby from Team Idaho logs the same find on his personal account, then I could see that being considered bad form. Not cheating, but enough to get Bobby giggled at during events. :lol:

I took the OP to mean, Billy finds a cache and puts a sticker in it. The sticker says "Found by Billy, Joe, Bob and cousin Larry". He then passes the GC# out and all four log a found on their individual accounts, even though three of them never left their home. Worse, each is finding a cache at different locations and then all four log all four caches. This is entirely different than Mom and Dad logging their finds to a single shared account.

IN idaho we have a group of four cachers that use skickers with all four of there names on it so they can cache hundrerds of miles from each other and log more caches. They say ground speak says if your names in the log that all you need to log the cache, not go to the cache. is this all caching is about to some pepole the no#s???? got to be a head of every one else no matter how!!! Some one told me they are now logging caches that were arhicved be for they even started caching give me a break. i got in to this for the fun of caching if i get the no#s to thats cool, i wish people would get back to the honor of caching and only log caches they found!!! what do you think!!!!!

This post has been edited by inthelake: Yesterday, 04:42 PM

I'm too curious not to ask, but what did you find so unacceptable in your original post that you had to go back and edit to fix? I mean, considering what you ended up with I just had to ask.

I took the OP to mean, Billy finds a cache and puts a sticker in it. The sticker says "Found by Billy, Joe, Bob and cousin Larry". He then passes the GC# out and all four log a found on their individual accounts, even though three of them never left their home.

You may be right. The OP has elected to not provide any documentation to support his claim, so the world may never know. If that's the case, I would still think that Billy, Joe, Bob & Cousin Larry represent a team, even though they don't have a team account. For those willing to stretch things... a lot, (OK, a whole lot), it could be compared to a group hunt... sorta... if you squint... and have a lot of imagination. :unsure:

On May 17th 2009, I led a group of hearty souls deep into my favorite swamp to explore the wetlands environment. There is a set of caches out there which we decided to pick up along the way. Prior to hitting the muck, we pondered group identities, and I made the comment, "We should have a witty nickname to log all these caches with". Yup. You guessed it. Regardless of who in our group actually found each cache, they were logged as The Witty Nickname Group". (sigh...) This was an intensly hellish journey, and as I owned most of the caches along the run, I told the group that anything goes as far as logging when you get home. It didn't matter if you were 5' away or 50' away when the cache was located, since you took the trek, you could claim a find.

Maybe this group from Idaho just stretched the distance a few dozen (hundred?) miles? :unsure:

It would certainly earn them some giggles.

But I still wouldn't call it cheating.

Maybe this group from Idaho just stretched the distance a few dozen (hundred?) miles? :unsure:

It would certainly earn them some giggles.

But I still wouldn't call it cheating.

Vouching for people who were at the cache but who didn't have an gc.com account and user name is one thing.

You expect me to allow logs for people dozens of miles away?

I see posts where people go online, clearly state it is gone and post a found it. They play their way. I play mine. There is no prise at the end. Nothing but bragging rights.

Not only that, but what is the big deal about performance-enhancing drugs in team sports and the Olympics, anyway? Sheesh! Its only a game. I don't know why people have to get their panties in a bunch over a few steroids!

I see posts where people go online, clearly state it is gone and post a found it. They play their way. I play mine. There is no prise at the end. Nothing but bragging rights.

Not only that, but what is the big deal about performance-enhancing drugs in team sports and the Olympics, anyway? Sheesh! Its only a game. I don't know why people have to get their panties in a bunch over a few steroids!

I am tempted to explain the difference, but I suspect you already know. If not, just ask your local bookie to explain it.

I am tempted to explain the difference, but I suspect you already know. If not, just ask your local bookie to explain it.

Betting on geocaching is illegal. I hope that you are aware of that.

Betting on geocaching is illegal. I hope that you are aware of that.

sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

See what happens when Groundspeak wants to ban ALRs so they add the following to the guidelines

Physical geocaches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed.

Fist you have a puritan read this and insist that it means you have to sign the physical log in order to log a find online.

Then someone says, "No. What it means is that if the physical log is signed cache owners can't delete your log".

From here we get the idea that if you can get your name in the physical log book you can log the cache and no one can delete your log. Not only do we have groups like the one the OP described, but Coldgears has family members offering to log caches for him.

When I read the guideline it looks like it's just saying that if there are any ALRs on the cache you don't have to do them in order to log a find online. So it's hard for me to understand how from this one sentence be get both those who say it means you must sign the physical log in order to log a find online, and others who say it means that it doesn't matter how your name got there but if it is in the physical log you can log the find online and the cache owner can't delete it. :huh:

See what happens when Groundspeak wants to ban ALRs so they add the following to the guidelines

Physical geocaches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed.

Fist you have a puritan read this and insist that it means you have to sign the physical log in order to log a find online.

Then someone says, "No. What it means is that if the physical log is signed cache owners can't delete your log".

From here we get the idea that if you can get your name in the physical log book you can log the cache and no one can delete your log. Not only do we have groups like the one the OP described, but Coldgears has family members offering to log caches for him.

When I read the guideline it looks like it's just saying that if there are any ALRs on the cache you don't have to do them in order to log a find online. So it's hard for me to understand how from this one sentence be get both those who say it means you must sign the physical log in order to log a find online, and others who say it means that it doesn't matter how your name got there but if it is in the physical log you can log the find online and the cache owner can't delete it. :huh:

Opinion. I sure wish that you would make that a standard footnote, my friend. You come across so authoritatively in your arguments that I really think a disclaimer is necessary.

Also, while I know that there is far too much history with the word, "puritan", I just thought that I'd mention that most disciplines use the word "purist" to mean what you use the word "puritan" for. The word "Puritan" is most often reserved for referring to the rather purist religious group of that name. Just thought I'd mention that in passing, knowing full well that I'm not going to change anything by it.

They say ground speak says if your names in the log that all you need to log the cache, not go to the cache.

"They" are wrong.

Not necessarily. According to the OP, he's talking about a team. My wife, my youngest daughter and myself are a team called "Clan Riffster". If I go play solo in a swamp, locating an ammo can, and put our team moniker in the logbook, do I need to wait for my wife and child to find the cache before claiming it online? Or the other side of the coin; If they decide to nab a few P&Gs, and I stay home because such caches hold little appeal to me, should those not count as finds? How about the edge of the coin? If they are nabbing P&Gs, whilst I'm paddling 12 miles of mangrove tunnels in search of one Lock & Lock, whose finds don't count? Their multiple finds or my one find?

"They" seem to be a collective entity geared toward a common goal.

Groundspeak has recognized team finds for as long as I've been caching.

For arguments sake, let's call their team "Team Idaho". If Billy, (a member of "Team Idaho"), finds a cache in Boise, while Bobby, (also a member of "Team Idaho"), finds a cache in Emmett, while Betty, (again, of "Team Idaho"), hops the state line and finds a cache in Walla Walla, and all three sign the logbook "Team Idaho", whose cache counts? :unsure:

Shouldn't they have one account for "Team Idaho" then? Rather than four different accounts, if they are on a team?

It sounds like they have one sticker with four names on it that gets stuck to every log.

You can justify it all you want or make up scenarios about why this is going on, but we may never know what is actually happening.

Sounds like cheating by the way it was presented by the OP to me.

Edited by Hypno-Toad

It matters because most hiders that I know of like to get thanked for their efforts. So... it does matter how others play the game. We don't live in a vacuum.

As I say...

They want thanks? Well if it is an awesome cache, I'll let them know by way of e-mail, otherwise they can do some cache maintenance and read the log.

I can't change how you chose to cache, but you should realize that by doing so, you are taking away one of the more powerful motives for people that hide those caches for you to have fun with. I can't make you be polite, but I can call you on your lack of it.

Well ya know what they say if ya want great logs. I say the same if ya want one at all, hide one that inspires it. In my case that will be an email, that failing it will be a note that gets deleted. With me, if a log can support more than a date and sig then I write more. Once I can block my count and the Geocaches Found section of the public tab, I'll start logging online again. But efectualy it will be the same thing, If I don.t have anything nice to say then I wont say a thing. Well maybe TNLN and . for the worst. Not every cache is a gift worth receiving.

4. Log your experience online at www.geocaching.com, using only the acronym TFTC. :lol:

So what do you guys think is the ruling on actually finding a cache, and leaving swag with the cache, but your pen doesn't work? This recently happened to me, I found a cache that I will probably never be back too, i left a couple pieces of swag but my pen wasn't working to sign the log, and i tried forever to get it to work. I still logged it online, and i still consider it a find but i never left my signature in the cache? To me it is a find. I would like to hear other opinions

So what do you guys think is the ruling on actually finding a cache, and leaving swag with the cache, but your pen doesn't work? This recently happened to me, I found a cache that I will probably never be back too, i left a couple pieces of swag but my pen wasn't working to sign the log, and i tried forever to get it to work. I still logged it online, and i still consider it a find but i never left my signature in the cache? To me it is a find. I would like to hear other opinions

Its a find. Some here would make a mark with something... grass stain, dirt, ashes... but if I were to receive a log stating what you just wrote, I wouldn't question it.

Not every cache is a gift worth receiving.

... in which case, you simply walk away. No need to log a find...

True.

...because you didn't bother to find it. Right?

Well, not exactly. My PQ filters take care of most trache, so it never shows up on my GPSr, but on occassion, one will sneak through. Depending on where my Garmin takes me determines whether or not I try locating the cache. If it's a place that's even remotely interesting, I'll stop long enough to locate the cache, thinking it might turn out to be a clever hide. Once I locate it, if it has no redeming qualities other than a single digit increase to my find count, I'll replace it and walk away, never logging it online, utilizing the Thumper Rule. (If you can't say somethin' nice...) If the area is repugnant, such as a fast food joint, a dumpster, etc, then I walk away without looking for it.

Some here would make a mark with something... grass stain, dirt, ashes...
Yep. I've never been without a pen/pencil myself, but I've seen a few logs with "improvised" signatures. There are ways to MacGyver a signature in many situations.

Blood, semen or a yanked out hair will leave your DNA, can't get any more specific than that.

Yep. I've never been without a pen/pencil myself, but I've seen a few logs with "improvised" signatures. There are ways to MacGyver a signature in many situations.

Blood, semen or a yanked out hair will leave your DNA, can't get any more specific than that.

Did that really need to be said?

Need? No. I definitely could have gone on breathing if I hadn't said that.

You could have used a little self-judgement. I'm not freak out about it, but I found that a bit distasteful for a forum like this.

Not every cache is a gift worth receiving.

... in which case, you simply walk away. No need to log a find...

True.

...because you didn't bother to find it. Right?

Well, not exactly. My PQ filters take care of most trache, so it never shows up on my GPSr, but on occassion, one will sneak through. Depending on where my Garmin takes me determines whether or not I try locating the cache. If it's a place that's even remotely interesting, I'll stop long enough to locate the cache, thinking it might turn out to be a clever hide. Once I locate it, if it has no redeming qualities other than a single digit increase to my find count, I'll replace it and walk away, never logging it online, utilizing the Thumper Rule. (If you can't say somethin' nice...) If the area is repugnant, such as a fast food joint, a dumpster, etc, then I walk away without looking for it.

If I get to the cache and open it, I'll sign the log and log it online in order to let others know that it has issues. If it's in a garbage strewn area I'll note that in my log. If it's a leaky container, I'll note it. If it's a micro but it was listed as a small that really cheeses me off - I'll copy and paste the guidelines regarding size into my online log. Personally, as a finder, I read the logs for that kind of information. It helps me waste less time and gas money.

You could have used a little self-judgement. I'm not freak out about it, but I found that a bit distasteful for a forum like this.

Oh calm down. There is a user on here named "crazydoggiestyle" or something like that. People are rude to each other at the drop of a hat. I don't think my semen joke even compares.

Oh calm down. There is a user on here named "crazydoggiestyle" or something like that. People are rude to each other at the drop of a hat. I don't think my semen joke even compares.

There's a geocacher in my area with the user name "snottytoiletchunks". That's pretty disgusting. I have to agree with knowschad, a lot of kids read these forums, too. They might laugh or groan at the user name I just mentioned but your graphic DNA comment may be a little too much for them.

So what do you guys think is the ruling on actually finding a cache, and leaving swag with the cache, but your pen doesn't work?

I have done that same thing with trackables. "Hey, didn't have a pen but I grabbed the TB that was in the cache." To me that is pretty sufficient proof I was there and found the cache.

So far I haven't had any cache owners complain and my Finds have all stood. I certainly would give the same benefit of the doubt to anyone finding a cache I own.

IN idaho we have a group of four cachers that use skickers with all four of there names on it so they can cache hundrerds of miles from each other and log more caches. <<snip>> i got in to this for the fun of caching if i get the no#s to thats cool, i wish people would get back to the honor of caching and only log caches they found!!! what do you think!!!!!

We had a group who did similar things. In fact, one was once see at a cache phoning the other members of the "team" telling them he had found the cache so they wouldn't need to bother with it. They all logged it as a Find under their individual accounts.

It is certainly not something I would engage in. If I log a Find I want to know I was at the cache.

Bottom line -- you say you didn't get into caching for the numbers. If that's the case then don't worry about what they do. After all, their numbers don't affect you in any way.

The only behaviors we can control in this game are our own.

Racy user names were formerly exempt, but recently, a complaint to Groundspeak got one changed.

I thought you were out of line, and I politely and respectfully pointed that out. I think that you could do a little better than, "Oh, calm down". This is a family-friendly forum, remember.

In fact, one was once see at a cache phoning the other members of the "team" telling them he had found the cache so they wouldn't need to bother with it.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply stop geocaching altogether?

I think so. I think I'll go start a telecaching.com website.

Edit : darn, domain already taken!

Racy user names were formerly exempt, but recently, a complaint to Groundspeak got one changed.

I thought you were out of line, and I politely and respectfully pointed that out. I think that you could do a little better than, "Oh, calm down". This is a family-friendly forum, remember.

THANK YOU for standing for decency! A trait fast unbecoming of many an American, sadly!

THANK YOU for standing for decency! A trait fast unbecoming of many an American, sadly!

You're welcome, I guess. :blink: I didn't realize that was what I was doing, though. If I had known, I might have thought twice.