Circular sliderule coin

technetium

I'm creating my own personal geocoin, in cooperation with Chuck Turner from Palehorse Design.

I've made it a functional geocoin. The front is a slide rule, but on a disk. It can be used to multiply divide etc.

Put the one of one circle to 2.5 on the other. The three will align with 7.5 (2.5 x 3 = 7.5) and the 5 with 1.25 what also can be regarded as 12.5 because on a circle the numbers will continue.

That's the reason the circle contains a fractal, Sierpiński's triangle, also an infinite repetition.

The largest empty triangle contains the electron configuration scheme of technetium.

In the other triangles rays are visible: No stable version of technetium exists.

The slide rule also has a trigonometric scale (for the calculation of sine, cosine etc.)

The back of the coins shows a Smith diagram. This was used by electrical and electronics engineers to determine impedance and related things.

The coin has a diameter of 50 mm (2") and a thickness of 5mm (1/5"). Inside is a smaller rotating disc. The tracing code is placed on the edge. The coins are tractable on geocaching.com and will have it's own icon.

This coin will be produced in four versions:

morning.jpg

Morning in gold;

evening.jpg

Evening in bronze;

night.jpg

Night in silver;

special.jpg

Special in gold and silver (only available in a set of four).

More information: send an e-mail to geocoin a-with-a-circle-arround-it technetium point be

Tc

I think this is a very cool coin! I definitely want to get some of these. The only thing I'd "object" to (ok maybe "clarify" is a better word) is this part:

The back of the coins shows a Smith "diagram." This "was" used by electrical and electronics engineers to determine impedance and related things.

The Smith "Chart" (as it's more commonly called) "is" :) used by electrical engineers. As an Antenna and RF Engineer I personally use it on a daily basis, as do most of the folks in my line of work. It's a great tool, and even 70 years after its invention, it's still extremely useful.

Anyway, Great Job! Looking forward to seeing these!

The Smith "Chart" (as it's more commonly called) "is" :) used by electrical engineers. As an Antenna and RF Engineer I personally use it on a daily basis, as do most of the folks in my line of work. It's a great tool, and even 70 years after its invention, it's still extremely useful.

Thanks, for the complements. And excusses, I had the impression that just as the slide rule is no longer in use due to the electronic calculator, the Smith Chart has been taken over by computer software. Nice to know it's still used.

Tc

The new samples have arrived. The numbers on the outer ring are now on the correct place and also the details are visible through the transparent enamels.

There will be a presale of this coins at Chuck Turner's Palehorse Design http://phdcoins.ca/index.cfm I'll keep you informed.

I love these and since I used a slide rule in high school, I really want one.

BUT, when you say "pre-sale" do you mean that we pay you before you receive the coins and then wait an unknown period of time before the mint sends you the coins and you ship?

I am allergic to pre-sales of that sort (even though you are ahead of others because you have samples...)

The new samples have arrived. The numbers on the outer ring are now on the correct place and also the details are visible through the transparent enamels.

There will be a presale of this coins at Chuck Turner's Palehorse Design http://phdcoins.ca/index.cfm I'll keep you informed.

I love these and since I used a slide rule in high school, I really want one.

BUT, when you say "pre-sale" do you mean that we pay you before you receive the coins and then wait an unknown period of time before the mint sends you the coins and you ship?

I am allergic to pre-sales of that sort (even though you are ahead of others because you have samples...)

I understand that many people are leery of the pre-sale format. All I can offer in defense is that I have run 17 pre-sales over the past two years with no complaints and no extended delays in delivery. The status of any 'In Production' coin is listed on the front page of the website with an expected due date. This is updated if delays happen, with an explanation of the cause and the new expected delivery date.

Hoi Chuck.

Weet jij of de kosten van het versturen van deze 4 coins vanuit Canada naar holland anders liggen dan het versturen naar de Czech Republic.?

The cost is the same for me to ship anywhere in Europe.

The set of 4 coins would cost $9.54 to ship by air or $7.48 to ship by surface.

Well heck & darn!! The only one I want is the "Special" gold & silver one. But I do not want to buy three other coins I don't want in order to get in. <_< So I guess I'm out of luck. Darn. :mellow:

CF30

I too would be interested in only the 'Special" edition. And it looks like this coin isn't for sale anywhere either. Anyone up for a deal/sell/trade for this one?