Garmin Dakota 20 - Download Caches

Bremar Josrut

This may take a while to sort out, but Pocket queries and GSAK. You can set up a query on geocaching.com, and i think even load that directly to your garmin, or use a program like GSAK to sort the queries and load them onto your gps. Not exactly intuitive, but if you can find a cache, you can figure it out!

I've just received my Garmin Dakota 20.:D I can download individual caches onto the Garmin but is there a way for me to download more than one at a time. If yes, :unsure: how?

Thanks

I have the exact same problem. But I've gone a step further. I've created a pocket query and even unzipped it, but how do you get that from the computer to the GPS? The message that comes with the pocket query mentions Easy GPS, and I even have that, but still don't know what to do with it. Can I skip that and just copy the file to the GPS itself?

Yabut

Okay Bremar, I figured it out.

After you get your pocket query, and unzip it, if you don't have a program called EasyGPS, get that (I think there's a link to it on the Geocaching resources page).

Then you open the EasyGPS and OPEN the file you just unzipped, and it will list all the caches contained in it. Then press the SEND button at the top of the screen. You may have to add the GPS to the list, but that's easy enough. Good luck. I'm off to hunt treasure! :)

Yabut

Dfx is right, you don't have to have ANY additional software. I use GSAK, and paid for it, but that is because it makes my life easier, and I like to load caches from specific areas, but keep a database of lots of caches. It is not required. Just put the GPX files into the GPX folder on your garmin.

You don't need additional software (EasyGPS or GSAK) to load Pocket Queries onto the Dakota. Just copy the GPX files into \Garmin\GPX\ and you're done.

Good to know. I'm new to pocket queries and also not sure I could just put a file on the GPS without wrecking it. My Dakota20 is brand new and so I'm learning as I go.

Now....can I add maps the same way? By just putting the file on the GPS?

Yabut

This may take a while to sort out, but Pocket queries and GSAK. You can set up a query on geocaching.com, and i think even load that directly to your garmin, or use a program like GSAK to sort the queries and load them onto your gps. Not exactly intuitive, but if you can find a cache, you can figure it out!

I am new to geocaching and using a GPS. I have a Garmin Dakota 10 and it seems each time I perform a pocket query and download it into either EasyGPS or GSAK, only 20 caches appear? Is there something I am doing wrong? Thanks

I am new to geocaching and using a GPS. I have a Garmin Dakota 10 and it seems each time I perform a pocket query and download it into either EasyGPS or GSAK, only 20 caches appear? Is there something I am doing wrong? Thanks

Like they said above. Just take the GPS file from the PQ and drop it into the GPX folder on the Dakota. It works the same way no matter if you have the 10 or the 20.

Now if your PQ only had 20 results in it then thats all you'll get. If it has more then try clearing out the GPX folder then install the PQ again.

Strange. I only had 36 in my pocket query, but they all installed with no problem when I used the EasyGPS program. Seems to me I just moved the file to the appropriate folder, as others are suggesting, the first time I got a pocket query, but I had forgotten about that this time and was just following what it said to do on the geocaching site. I think the programs EasyGPS and GSAK, etc, were just invented for those who have a hard time finding their way around the computer. Either system works. Do what's easiest for you.

Oh dear - this is driving me crazy. I too have just purchased a Dakota 20. I did my first pocket query last week and managed to get it onto the GPS with no trouble - but I can't remember how I did it!

I have come to put another PQ onto it and there is no way it will go on!!

- I have had my email with an attachment.

- I have gone into the PQ part of my profile on the Geocaching.

- I have (I think) saved the zipped folder onto my desktop

- I have tried moving and copying the folder to my GPS

- I have tried opening the folder and then moving and copying the GPS folder and the waypoints folder onto the GPS

But when I go onto the GPS and try to open any geocaches it says that there are none there!!

Could someone give me some step by step instructions as to what I have to do - I was hoping to go out tomorrow to do a few more but that isn't looking likley at the moment.

Thanks a lot for any help