new Geocaching GPS Feature suggestion

shazzm

Hi Cachers,

I've been caching for a while now and realise that my iPhone 4 just doesn't cut it out in the middle of nowhere, so I am looking to buy an actual GPS hand held because.... I assume it will pick up a signal anywhere.

I've browsed the forums here and find way too much information to take sense of. It would be good if there was a place on the geocaching site where we could enter in our requirements and click GO, and be presented with 2-3 brands of GPS that suit what we need.

Just in case anybody is listening, do you know of a unit that :

- will work in the middle of nowhere

- is handheld

- be able to click the "download to GPS" button to automatically load caches from the website

- accept pre-loading with bulk caches

- is touch screen

If you know of any devices that fit this description, please let me know. Thanks, Shazzm - sharynpa@yahoo.com

- is handheld

- be able to click the "download to GPS" button to automatically load caches from the website

- is touch screen

An Android smartphone such as the HTC Inspire 4G with a Qstarz BT-Q818XT external bluetooth GPS meets all of your requirements. NO dedicated handheld GPSR from Garmin, Delorme, Magellan or Lowrance has any built-in internet connection ability. With those you can download from the website, but only while tethered via USB connection to a computer that has an internet connection.

If you have preloaded "bulk caches" to your smartphone you don't need a data connection in the field any more than a dedicated GPSR needs one. The big difference is that with a dedicated GPSR if you have not preloaded cache data before going into the field there is no way to do so when you are out there. With a smartphone, if you are in an area where you have a data connection, you CAN connect to geocaching.com and download cache data.

There are a lot of good portable GPSR's on the market and it is personal preference just like some people like a Ford others like a Chevy. You will find that all your top end units will do what you are looking for.

You might want to take a look at some of the different forums for the different brands. One of the things that I found when I was looking for a new unit back a couple of months ago is in the upper end units the Magellan Explorist series you seem to get more bang for your buck when comparing units in the same price range. here is the link for the Explorist forum http://www.exploristforum.com/

I used my wifes smartphone to try and cache while I was in Glacier NP. An experience I would consider nothing short of a failure. Dedicated smartphones still just can't cut it in areas away from urbanization. For city cachers who never plan on heading for the country smartphones are fine. Everywhere else your taking a chance.

And if you can't plan slightly ahead and download enough caches before you head out then I feel sorry for you.

Edited by yogazoo

- is handheld

- is touch screen

Pretty much any hand held touch screen Garmin unit meets those requirements.

-Most all hand held GPSr work in the middle of no where.

-Garmin hand held units work great with the Sent to GPS feature when you have the Garmin Communicator software installed and the unit is plugged into your PC. But as a Premium Member you should get familiar with Pocket Queries. Then you can send up to 1000 caches to the unit at one time and define the parameters so you only get the caches you want. http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118