Bear Attack

I heard about this listening to the radio this morning. Just can't imagine it happening to me and really makes me want to be more prepared. Heres the article. Cut and pasted from a news site. Caution it's pretty disturbing.

Frantic final phone calls of woman, 19, eaten alive by brown bear and its three cubs

A distraught mother listened on a mobile phone as her teenage daughter was eaten alive by a brown bear and its three cubs.

Olga Moskalyova, 19, gave an horrific hour-long running commentary on her own death in three separate calls as the wild animals mauled her.

she screamed: 'Mum, the bear is eating me! Mum, it’s such agony. Mum, help!'Her mother Tatiana said that at first she thought she was joking.

But then I heard the real horror and pain in Olga’s voice, and the sounds of a bear growling and chewing,' she added. 'I could have died then and there from shock.'Unknown to Tatiana, the bear had already killed her husband Igor Tsyganenkov - Olga’s stepfather - by overpowering him, breaking his neck and smashing his skull.Olga, a trainee psychologist, saw the ­attack on her stepfather in tall grass and reeds by a river in Russia and fled for 70 yards before the mother bear grabbed her leg. As the creature toyed with her, she managed to call Tatiana several times during the prolonged attack.Tatiana rang her husband - not knowing he was ­already dead - but got no answer. She alerted the police and relatives in the village of Termalniy, near Petropavlovsk Kamchatskiy, in the extreme east of Siberia.She begged them to rush to the river where the pair had gone to retrieve a fishing rod that Igor had left.

In a second call, a weak Olga gasped: 'Mum, the bears are back. She came back and brought her three babies. They’re... eating me.'

Finally, in her last call - almost an hour after the first - Olga sensed she was on the verge of death.

With the bears having apparently left her to die, she said: 'Mum, it’s not hurting any more. I don’t feel the pain. Forgive me for everything, I love you so much.'The call cut off and that was the last Tatiana heard from her ­daughter.

Half an hour later, Igor’s brother Andrei arrived with police to find the mother bear still devouring his body. Badly mauled Olga was also dead.

Six hunters were sent in by the emergency services to kill the mother bear and her three cubs.

The double killing is the latest in a spate of bear attacks across ­Russia, as the hungry animals seek food in areas where people have ­encroached and settled on their former habitat.A weeping Tatiana said that Olga had everything to look forward to, and was happy with her life and boyfriend Stepan.

My daughter was such fun. She was so cheerful, friendly, and warm,' said Tatiana.

She had graduated from music school, and just days before the bear attack she got her driving ­license.'

husband and daughter are due to be buried today.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2026914/Mum-bear-eating--Final-phone-calls-woman-19-eaten-alive-brown-bear-cubs.html#ixzz1WBmDrQy4

Be Safe out there people!

Hate reading stories like this. First you become angry, than sympathetic, then sad. Seems like from the photos the man was seasoned as an outdoorsman but looks can be deceiving. Just because you "wear" the gear doesn't always mean you really know what you are doing, or are prepared enough. Without knowing his/her experience it's difficult to say.

Bottom line is, BE PREPARED! If you live in bear country you should always be aware of your surrounding and know how to protect you and your family from potential dangers. I know, sometimes even the best at this are surprised and maybe that's what happened in this case. The story really never said much about that, at all.

It's also sad they had to kill the bear. It's not the bear's fault, she was trying to protect her cubs. It's a sad situation and a lose/lose senerio. Humans and wild animals don't mix so either learn how to live with them or stay away from them. There is no easy answer. Sometimes you just have to say, "Wow."

Thanks for sharing.

I carry S&W Model 13-2 which is .357 Mag while geocaching most of the time (inner city protection as well). Supposedly there are Bears in Yellowwood State Forest(Lake Lemon), IN. I seen some when I was younger in Brown County State Park. Spending a lot of time as youth in TN, didn't really have to worry about them being hungry...just protective of their cubs or territory. Do need to pick up a can of bear spray, especially if when I head down south to Hike AP in GSMNP. Indiana's new pro-gun laws that went into effect on July 1st, 2011...good for geocaching...especially ones in city parks.