don't want to crawl under branches or into bushes

Glenngrafx

I am new to this game. it seemed fun in concept but about to give it up and toss my gps unit in the drawer. How do i determine what caches are NOT under trees, in bushes, or past waist high weeds? I'm 60 years old and am not interested in crawling around in the brush. I look for Difficulty levels of 1 and Terrain of 1 to 1-1/2. I was told these would be for handicapped person to be able to find. However, i have been within a few feet of a several that seem to be in trees or require walking more than two feet into the weeds. I need to know what to look for when deciding what caches to download. can someone help me?

Difficulty 1.5 or less and Terrain 1.5 or less should be fairly easy grabs (and some Terrain 2s). Sometimes cachers do not rate their hides properly. I've seen some 1/1s that were really 2/2s or 1/3s.

You can also look at the Attributes for things like Wheelchair Accessible, Kid Friendly, or Park & Grab. However, if a cacher doesn't rate their cache very accurately they probably didn't set any Attributes either.

Beyond that, reading the cache descriptions and looking at the map. You may simply want to stick to urban hides which are more likely to be under or attached to something man-made rather than hidden in the leaves, in a tree, or in the bushes. Most caches need to be hidden out of sight and on a trail or such that usually means amongst some kind of natural cover. If you venture out into the woods, you may want to stick to Regular size containers which are more likely to be things like ammo cans that are simply behind a tree rather than more difficultly concealed.

I am new to this game. it seemed fun in concept but about to give it up and toss my gps unit in the drawer. How do i determine what caches are NOT under trees, in bushes, or past waist high weeds? I'm 60 years old and am not interested in crawling around in the brush. I look for Difficulty levels of 1 and Terrain of 1 to 1-1/2. I was told these would be for handicapped person to be able to find. However, i have been within a few feet of a several that seem to be in trees or require walking more than two feet into the weeds. I need to know what to look for when deciding what caches to download. can someone help me?

I'm 62 and started geocaching almost one year ago. I had several vertebrae fused with rods and screws which has hampered my ability to walk and climb, especially climbing. I look for terrain levels of 3 or less, I can usually do those. You may encounter a difficulty level of 5 with a terrain level of one. In this case, you could be looking for a very well hidden cache in a not so tough environment. Don't be too quick to give up. I've never had to climb a tree nor scale a cliff and I have almost 350 finds. If you read the cache description, view the logs, and know what type of container you're after, you should have an enjoyable experience. If you're mobility is more severely challenged, take a closer look at the attributes on the cache page, they'll often indicate the distance and time and whether it's a suitable cache for cachers with disabilities. I only regret one thing...not having discovered this great pastime 10 years earlier.

Ditto JHolly. Me too, and I do the same, most of my friends are amazed at the things I do, I even go to FL and kayak with a bunch of friends for a week in the "glades". I think it is a mind set. Just don't give up, you will be sorry. If you get to a cache and just don't feel like you can do it, then just don't, and go on to the next one. I do agree with you, a 1 X 1 should be doable by anyone, wheelchair, etc. If it isn't you could contact the CO and ask nicely about it.

Perhaps the ratings at handicaching.com would help. They break down the terrain rating into separate ratings for distance to cache, route surface, route slope, route obstructions, and cache height. Using just the geocaching.com terrain ratings, you don't know whether a 1-star terrain cache is in a bush, but still reachable from a chair sitting on the pavement.

I don't understand the part about trees, I've never had to climb a tree for a cache, The ones I've found in trees were never more then six foot off the ground. If you're talking about a cache at the base of a pine tree I don't try and crawl in the get them, I fish them out with a branch or whatever is handy. You might want to try cemetery caches, they're usually easy to do. My wife doesn't like to bushwhack either so when she goes with me we do cemetery caches. Myself, I don't mind bushwhacking, my right arm shows it. That's the one I use to push everything out of the way.

BTW: I'm 72

I don't understand the part about trees, I've never had to climb a tree for a cache, The ones I've found in trees were never more then six foot off the ground.

Visit my area (Central Ohio) sometime. Caches that involve serious tree-climbing, often requiring special equipment, have been published all over this area. I no longer climb trees myself, so these caches immediately go on my ever-growing Ignore List.

--Larry

Edited to add: For the record, I'm 62, and can still bushwhack with the best of them. I just promised some loved ones that my days of climbing (and falling out of) trees are over.

Edited by larryc43230

Honestly, if you aren't up for walking a few feet into bushes, trees or weeds, perhaps geocaching isn't for you. You can stick with urban caches and parking lot caches, but even a lot of urban caches are in parks were you need to search in brush or weeds.

People tend to hide caches where the general public is not likely to wander which often means bushes, trees and weeds.

Perhaps Waymarking would be more to your liking. Instead of crawling around looking for caches you let your GPS lead you to interesting locations that are usually weed and brush free.

Edited by briansnat

Being perfectly honest, that is one (but only one) concept behind geocaching -- to get you into something other than your "norm".

Geocaching came about by placing a cache in an "out-of-the-way" location to see if others could locate it, by simply providing them with coordinates.

Too, hiding the cache supposedly protects it from being found by non-cachers. The only real way to protect it, is to place it in a location that the general public has no particular reason to go there (to the cache itself -- not necessarily that area though).

Geocaching is great fun for many people, BUT not for ALL people. Some have no interest whatsoever. Some disdain getting dirty, scratched and bug-bitten. Some think it mostly as a waste of time. Some don't like having to "hunt" for it.

Personally, I think golf is a nice walk, wasted (having to pay exorbitant amounts of money to do it, anyway).

Bottom line.... Different strokes for different folks.

I am sorry you don't like it. Perhaps it isn't for you.

I'm surprised no one has suggested you use a walking stick, or as some prefer, waking staff. In addition to the obvious use on uneven ground, it is a great caching tool. You can use it to clear you path, poke under or into brush and bushes, lift bush limbs, move rocks, clear spider webs, check in suspicious holes, to name but a few uses. I have found several caches by listening carefully as I probe thick brush with my stick.

I'm in southern California so my usual urban caching uniform is tee shirt, shorts and sandals. However, if I'm going into a rural area or brush filled urban canyon, it's time for the Levi's, hiking boots and gaiters. (I hate collecting foxtails with my socks and boot laces.) If I know I will be entering high brush I'll wear a long sleeve shirt. And I always carry a pair of gloves.

While you may not want to forage through the bushes, by being properly prepared you can increase the number of caches you will be able to find with little additional effort on your part. You may find caches that you can spot but don't want to climb or crawl to reach. While you can't log a find unless you sign the paper log, you will still have the satisfaction of knowing you located the cache.

I hope these suggestions give you some ideas. Caching is catching. Enjoy it!

Perhaps the ratings at handicaching.com would help. They break down the terrain rating into separate ratings for distance to cache, route surface, route slope, route obstructions, and cache height. Using just the geocaching.com terrain ratings, you don't know whether a 1-star terrain cache is in a bush, but still reachable from a chair sitting on the pavement.

That's a good idea. The OP may also contact some local cachers, for a list of suitable caches. I specifically designed a Micro that could be seen from a picnic table in a pavilion, and accessed by wheelchair. People could approach on level ground, and the container was out in the open, not in weeds. But it was heavily camouflaged, so you had to look around carefully while seated at that picnic table.

Edited by kunarion

I don't understand the part about trees, I've never had to climb a tree for a cache, The ones I've found in trees were never more then six foot off the ground.

Visit my area (Central Ohio) sometime. Caches that involve serious tree-climbing, often requiring special equipment, have been published all over this area. I no longer climb trees myself, so these caches immediately go on my ever-growing Ignore List.

--Larry

Edited to add: For the record, I'm 62, and can still bushwhack with the best of them. I just promised some loved ones that my days of climbing (and falling out of) trees are over.

Matter of fact we'll be going through your state in October, but I ain't gonna climb no stinkin' trees. I have enough trouble on level ground. I got into some loose rocks yesterday and went down and whacked my ribs a good one. Oh well just part of the game.

Matter of fact we'll be going through your state in October, but I ain't gonna climb no stinkin' trees.

Not counting the tree-climb caches, which a lot of folks in these parts do seem to enjoy, there are lots of great caches to look for in Ohio. I hope you enjoy your time here!

I have enough trouble on level ground. I got into some loose rocks yesterday and went down and whacked my ribs a good one. Oh well just part of the game.

I'm not crazy about looking for a cache in a sea of loose rocks, either. I generally wear good, sturdy boots with ankle protection in cases like that. That wouldn't save my ribs in a fall, but I've badly sprained an ankle in the past and don't look forward to the next time.

Of course, anywhere I go, there's potential for doing myself a mischief. I was FTF on a cache hidden deep in the woods a few days ago. I managed to walk right into a thorny branch that slashed across my face just under my left eyebrow and above the eyelid. I'll have a neat-looking wound in that spot for the next week or so. It only hurts when I blink. My girlfriend told me my timing was less than perfect; the wound would have been perfect for Halloween... :lol:

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

I take my 60 something year old mom with me regularly. She brings her cane or uses my hiking stick... sometimes both. Here the reality is you will have to set foot off trial. The trial you are on may have weeds up to your chest or higher by the end of the summer. And there will be a lot of interaction with pine trees and find caches on the ground by trees. Just kind of the nature of the beast with geocaching here at least. In more metropolitan areas there are probably more urban hides which don't result in having to go off trail. We've done a couple in town but mom doesn't particularly like to look suspicious in town and I only bring her with because I look less suspicious with an older lady with me as the tattooed/pierced one of the group.

Caching might not be your thing. But if you want to stick with it thoroughly look at the cache pages and maps so you better you chances of being somewhere that you prefer to be.

Guess I don't uderstand what age has to do with it. Lots of cachers out there over 60.

Ya don't like crawling under rocks or trees: Fine. Don't blame it on your age. Blame it on person proclivities, or disabilities, or the phase of the moon. Don't make it sound as though anyone over 60 is unable to find or hide caches with a terrain rating over 1.5

I've found and hidden some pretty tough terrain caches. But, for now, I'll blamed them dadgum fascist planters, not my age. I hope the flipper starts feeling better soon. I miss long hikes and mountain climbs to the fantastic scenery! But, I'm blaming the problem on my flipper, not my age.

In the meantime, I'll look for caches that are within my capabilities. And I'll have a lot of fun doing them! There's an Irish Famine Memorial cache that's calling me. And a nearby EarthCache.

Go out and enjoy yourself. That's what it's about.

I'm surprised no one has suggested you use a walking stick, or as some prefer, waking staff. In addition to the obvious use on uneven ground, it is a great caching tool. You can use it to clear you path, poke under or into brush and bushes, lift bush limbs, move rocks, clear spider webs, check in suspicious holes, to name but a few uses. I have found several caches by listening carefully as I probe thick brush with my stick.

I'm in southern California so my usual urban caching uniform is tee shirt, shorts and sandals. However, if I'm going into a rural area or brush filled urban canyon, it's time for the Levi's, hiking boots and gaiters. (I hate collecting foxtails with my socks and boot laces.) If I know I will be entering high brush I'll wear a long sleeve shirt. And I always carry a pair of gloves.

While you may not want to forage through the bushes, by being properly prepared you can increase the number of caches you will be able to find with little additional effort on your part. You may find caches that you can spot but don't want to climb or crawl to reach. While you can't log a find unless you sign the paper log, you will still have the satisfaction of knowing you located the cache.

I hope these suggestions give you some ideas. Caching is catching. Enjoy it!

We never leave the car without our hiking sticks....great for cobwebs, poking, and good to have should you be approached by wild ( or domestic) critters. My Bamboozle hiking sticks have been donated to cachers from coast to coast ( made from alum. conduit with black bicycle grip on one end and black crutch tip on the other)...I've also made a probe out of 1/4" SS rod for turning over rocks and rooting under bushes.

My wife and I are both 64+ but will hunt for most anything.

Prepare to get many spider, wasp, catapiller,etc stings and bites along with cuts, scrapes, and sprains. Geocaching is an outdoor activity that can be dangerous....folks have died doing it.