Your hardest cach you found or didn't find

I'm looking to make the hardest cach I can there all just too eazy around me !!

Need ideas on what you think will make it hard ???

Planing on maybe over a ten mile hike off trail , cach up a tree , night cach , projections , puzzles , water crossing or long hike around maybe even under water cache all rolled in to one big muti cache

Tell me what you would do to make a hard 6/6

Yeah I know that it's going to be off the scale

First, most people consider "off the scale" caches to be ones that require multipule 5/5's. What I mean, a regular 5/5 would have a really hard to solve puzzle (5 star difficulty) and something that requires extra equipment (rock climbing.) A 6/6 would be for example, a 4 stage multi, each one with a 5 star difficulty puzzle ALONE, each one requiring a 5 star Terrain ALONE. One could be a Scuba, then a tree climb, the a cave exploration, then a rock climb.

That, despite having multipule stages which could each be a 5/5, can still only be listed as a 5/5. This is why the extreme caching community made the 6/6.

So that's what you need to do. Otherwise, just stick with a single hard puzzle, and a single high terrain, if you want a "regular" 5/5.

What I find interesting is that the OP doesn't seem to have too much difficulty creating difficult caches--he has six caches (five active) none of which have a D or T rating below a "3," and there are a couple 5's in there as well.

That leads me to conclude--unfortunately--that the goal here is not to hide a difficult cache for cachers to find, but to hide a cache so difficult that people won't find it. Just a guess.

I'm going out this weekend to look at a cache To get some ideas about projectsons

There will be a tree climb at lest 20ft a few cliffs under water cache if I can find the right container heard of a pipe with holes you have to plug the holes and fill with water to flote the cache up to you

Night cache in the middle , have to find a old gas pipe and fallow it

I just don't know where I want to end this cache at

Should I tell people what they will need or just let them try and find it ????

I'm not trying to make it so hard that know one can find it ( don't think I can even do that) this is one that you will have to keep coming back to meany meany times

What I find interesting is that the OP doesn't seem to have too much difficulty creating difficult caches--he has six caches (five active) none of which have a D or T rating below a "3," and there are a couple 5's in there as well.

That leads me to conclude--unfortunately--that the goal here is not to hide a difficult cache for cachers to find, but to hide a cache so difficult that people won't find it. Just a guess.

I'm not trying to make it so hard that know one can find it ( don't think I can even do that) this is one that you will have to keep coming back to meany meany times

Many people don't understand, "extreme caching". You aren't the only one, I have a huge one in my "area", "linuxxpert" I will never do them, but I understand why they do them.

The point isn't about not having people finding them, it's about giving a huge challenge, and adrenaline rush to those that WANT to do extreme caches.

I'm going out this weekend to look at a cache To get some ideas about projectsons

There will be a tree climb at lest 20ft a few cliffs under water cache if I can find the right container heard of a pipe with holes you have to plug the holes and fill with water to flote the cache up to you Night cache in the middle , have to find a old gas pipe and fallow it

I just don't know where I want to end this cache at

Should I tell people what they will need or just let them try and find it ????

I found a similar cache to the idea underlined. ;)

Most of the high-difficulty caches I've found were based on difficult puzzles, so that's one option.

A few involved well-camouflaged containers that looked like they were part of their environment.

A few more required special equipment. Without the appropriate equipment, a field puzzle was inaccessible/unsolvable, or the hide effectively became a needle-in-a-haystack hide.

Many people don't understand, "extreme caching". You aren't the only one, I have a huge one in my "area", "linuxxpert" I will never do them, but I understand why they do them.

The point isn't about not having people finding them, it's about giving a huge challenge, and adrenaline rush to those that WANT to do extreme caches.

Challenge and planning. They're a lot of fun, but take up a day of time to find and a fair amount of prep work and equipment planning. Without proper gear and knowledge of said gear they're extremely risky. I don't advise trying to find them without proper training or accompanying a group of more experienced extreme cachers. Many involve climbing 75+ feet up trees and other structures using an ascension / descension system. There are a few ways to rig this, but again, you need to know what you're doing.

PA, NJ, and MD are all pretty rich with extreme caches.

To the OP: may I suggest you checking out extreme-caching.com ? I see someone else posted it here. I'm a regular over there and we generally plan outings to various extreme caches on the forums.

I'm working on a particularly hard cache and I'm so excited to find it someday. LOL! I went twice yesterday to look. First trip was just sort of scouting the area out. I'm a noob, and I've made less than 15 finds...so I had no hopes hung on finding a level 5 difficulty. I had a brilliant idea go off in my brain and headed back up there, only to be wrong. But I will get it. Even seasoned cachers had trouble with this one. It's exciting because it's so tricky, but it's a large cache.

Hardest one is an interesting story. There used to be a cache in the stone wall by the Orangerie Art Museum in Paris. I say the hole and was on autopilot walking towards it until I happened to look up and see the guard on the top of the wall carrying an FN automatic rifle. Let's just say I came back another day. This year we were back and saw that the hole was finally repaired so the cache was archived.

I would highly recommend going out and finding some more caches in order to get the experience you need to hide a good 5/5.

You've only found 45 caches, so I'm not surprised you are looking for inspiration here.

Get out and find more caches. Run a pocket query in your area for tough caches and go find them.

It's really important to be on the other end of the stick, the FINDING the tough caches, before you hide them. You need to know what it's like being on the other end before you can do a good job on the hiding end.

That being said, I found my first 5/5 cache last weekend.

It was an incredibly tough puzzle, that I'm not going to give away here. It was a multi-cache that each stage was a puzzle that got harder and harder. The final was accessible by boat only.

The cacher who placed this cache has many years (and many finds) of caching experience so he knew how to make a puzzle that was really, really tough and creative that few could find, but some would.

Run a pocket query and go out and get some hard caches. That will give you the inspiration AND the experience you need to place a good 5/5 cache.

Yeah I need to find some harder cache but there a lack of them around me I'm hopeing that will change soon

Went out and found some caches this past weekend and there was someone that put a cache every half mile on pull off spots on a new Rd here it was the same thing every time found one of them with not even looking at the gps that kinda pissed me off there was no point in putting anything there but to just put it there

And I'm tired of finding bad containers filled with water all most make me want to make a trip and weed out all the bad caches

I have a few things that I want to use in my muti cache that I have been working on for a wile now going to have a pipe with holes you have to fill to get the cache going to have a tree climb with a latter that's how I'm going to place it put do u tell them to bring a ladder ??? , going to have them fallow a pipe un till I put a night cache about 2 or 3 miles in to the cache , going to have a lake crossing and a under water cache

I just don't know much about puzzles anyone got any good ideas for puzzles ???

I would imagine a nano secured to the bottom of a muddy lake with numerous places to secure said nano and which required either substantial free diving or scuba gear would be a good 5/5.
Well, it might be a 5/5, but I don't know anyone who would call a needle-in-a-haystack hide like that a good 5/5.

I just don't know much about puzzles anyone got any good ideas for puzzles ???
It looks like you haven't found any puzzles at all. I recommend that you find several before you think about hiding a puzzle cache yourself.

If you're having trouble getting started on the local puzzle caches, then here is some advice that I've posted before:

A while back, The Rat offered a puzzle-solving class as an event cache. His slides are available here:

http://thegba.net/resources/general_information.php

Among the tips he offered:

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)