Geo Hustle

MBFace....if my last post made it sound like i thought you were suggesting the 2008 OMM was poorly organised, i apologise, that wasnt how i meant it.

I simply meant that there have been, still are and always will be events that are poorly organised, i wont name any names, but i used to work for an outdoor events company many years ago who were desperately guilty of 'not caring' about the surroundings that paid their wages, it was terrible hence the reason i left to take a position elsewhere at the time, the company in question closed down a long time ago fortunately.

Geohustle has been developed with the surroundings and local life in mind.

Apologies again if my choice of words in the last post were not clear.

Please also remember that Geohustle is in fact still developing, we DO take all concerns on board and due to this we have had an 'emergency' discussion this evening and are about to announce one or two changes brought about directly through comments which have been made on this forum.

We will post the changes shortly once we have finalised them.

Edited by WillowMae

If you were going to go down the route of leaving a token rather than the cash in the cache. Maybe you could get some Geocoins made up. That would be a nice memento of the win. And it would also mean that should they be put into circulation you would get some added advertisement. I believe that the rules for geocoins are less stringent that the rules for caches.

I know you can't please everyone, but have you given any thought to the fact that you may be limiting the number of participants, in that many people work during the week, and so may not be able to enter their local hustle?

In the case of Keswick ,limiting the participants is probably what is needed. Parking is very limited.

When the convention is on special arrangement are made for the parking so as not to inconvenience local people too much.

Nor do I fancy the chances of a large number of competitors finding space in the couple of internet cafes. I have only found one pub in town where I can get wifi successfully and I'm not giving that one away :P

Hello 'thehalibutkid' and 'Cave Troll and Eeyore'

Thankyou so much for your suggestions.

'Cave Troll and Eeyore'....The hustles are currently going to be taking place on a Thursday and a Sunday.

We decided upon this due to the research we did, which seemed to suggest a large amount of people who had time available during the week, i suppose it may be due to the large amount of people working weekends with a day off in the week now.

It really is impossible to work out the hustle to please everyone, but we figured that at least this way there is a hustle both during the week and at weekend.

We will, if all goes to plan, be adding a third weekly hustle within the next few months and possible a fourth in the new year.

We have just added a hustle location today, Stirling in Scotland.

'thehalibutkid'.....Thats a great idea, we have been thinking along very similar lines, but a Geohustle Geocoin would be a fantastic memento for the winners.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

Hello

We have now made a few core changes as mentioned earlier and we have addressed a few concerning issues.

Prior to the changes competitors paid a £2 entry fee per person per hustle, we were then limiting the amount of competitors to 1000 which gave each player a 1 in a 1000 chance of winning the cache fund.

The issues with this were clear, and we thank all of those who pointed the problems out which prompted the re think.

From now onwards the entry fee will be £20 per TEAM per hustle, each team can be made up from a minimum of 1 person to a maximum of 5 team members.

We will now be restricting the amount of teams to 100, this reduces the maximum amount of total players by at least half, helping to protect the surroundings, but now also gives each team a 1 in 100 chance of winning the cache fund.

If you compete alone you pay the full £20 entry fee yourself, but if you were to find the cache the full cache fund is yours alone. Play as a team and the initial £20 entry fee is split according to the amount of team members, but so then is the cache fund...the choice is yours.

We hope that these changes will have a big impact on the game and lessen the chances of any issues.

Geohustle as we have mentioned before is new and still developing, we will continue developing and as such always welcome input and suggestions.

Please give us your feedback and let us know what you think.

Many many thanks again for all your suggestions.

I have only found one pub in town where I can get wifi successfully and I'm not giving that one away :P

Many phones can be used as wifi access points.

But in this case, if you've got a phone that acts as a wireless access point, you don't NEED a wireless access point :-)

Rgds, Andy

Back tracking a little, I'm guessing you are just starting out in web development and I would like to give a little feedback about your site.

With regard to your comment on the Companies House number, the company will be registered with companies house within the next 10 days or so, and as soon as the company becomes incorporated we will immediately publish the company number on the website.

I fully understand the reasoning for keeping your home address secret and I've noted you have chosen to deploy privacy on your domain but as a UK business (especially one registered with companies house) you are required by law to list a "geographic address" on your website (that means no PO boxes).

See: http://www.out-law.com/page-431

Moving on to the design the majority of your homepage seems to be created from images, someone with a sight problem could have problems reading the small text with the varying coloured backgrounds and furthermore software known as "screen readers" which aids those with sight problems to use the web cannot read images (a way round this would be to make better use of the ALT tags).

Add the above to your non-validating HTML and you have ran into another legal breach relating to the Disability Discrimination Act.

See: http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-friendly-resources/web-accessibility/uk-website-legal-requirements.shtml

Overall, I like your idea and if done correctly could turn out be successful. IMO you need to dot many i's and cross even more t's.

The following however worries me:

...just £20 per hustle per team, teams can be made up of anything from a single player to a team of 5 players

WOW! From a fee which equated 2% of the minimum win to 20% is one hell of a jump :o [Source]