Something I find very frustrating as a newbie

shamching

I really enjoy geocaching so far but there's something that bothers me quite a bit.

Near my work place there's this cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=004ad86e-d66f-4e20-9c58-1084d3aa4985&log=y&decrypt=

If you read the logs, it's been waterlogged and the log has been useless for months.

Yet the 'needs maintenance' logs are few and var between. I'm finding this annoying because it seems people are more concerned about adding one to their stats counter than doing something useful for the community.

The owner also seems to have been inactive since May due to relocation to a different country. Surely if the owner is unable to maintain the caches then all caches he owns should be archived or put up to adoption.

Right now I'm not even sure if it's 'OK' to go and try to fix that cache myself, as the waterlogging issue is due to location and it would need relocating slightly.

Any advice appreciated, especially as to how I could report this to a reviewer (couldn't find a button)

Thank you

Edited by shamching

If you're quite sure about the condition of the cache and the disposition or absense of the the CO, you can click on "Needs Archive" This will send a note to both the cache owner and the reviewer. However, another approach might be to simply send a note to the reviewer so that she/he is aware of it and let things take their natural course. It's too bad when caches are abandoned but it does happen from time to time. Just be sure to use the "Needs Archive" judiciously.

edited for spelling

Edited by Brooklyn51

30th June I see the first log mentioning that it is very wet, then there are 4 NM logs and several other logs saying the log is wet. No log anywhere from the CO indicating that they intend to do something about it.

If that was in our area I'd log a NA mentioning the above points. Hopefully that would be enough to jog the CO into action (if he/she still wants to be active).

MrsB

It looks like a very nice creative container and solid cache so…

If it’s really that big of a deal to you…

Type up and email stating you are going to fix up the cache a bit and explain what you are going to do. Send this email to the CO. If you have not heard any objections from the CO in a week, proceed with the following.

Take a small freezer bag and put the original log into the bag and leave that in the cache with a solid seal. Take another freezer bag and if any items in the cache are salvageable put them in this separate bag. Add some fresh swag to this particular freezer bag if you like. Discard any other items in the cache that have mildewed or are ruined.

Then, place a smaller watertight lock-n-lock with a fresh log into the larger container. Label the new smaller watertight lock-n-lock “Fresh Log”. Make any other appropriate repairs that you see fit. Replace the cache in its place and post a short “write note” log explaining what you have done.

If you think the cache is worth it, this solution does not take that much effort and it will fix the issue.

If it's really that big of a deal to you…

Type up and email stating you are going to fix up the cache a bit and explain what you are going to do. Send this email to the CO. If you have not heard any objections from the CO in a week, proceed with the following.

Take a small freezer bag and put the original log into the bag and leave that in the cache with a solid seal. Take another freezer bag and if any items in the cache are salvageable put them in this separate bag. Add some fresh swag to this particular freezer bag if you like. Discard any other items in the cache that have mildewed or are ruined.

Then, place a smaller watertight lock-n-lock with a fresh log into the larger container. Label the new smaller watertight lock-n-lock "Fresh Log". Make any other appropriate repairs that you see fit. Replace the cache in its place and post a short "write note" log explaining what you have done.

If you think the cache is worth it, this solution does not take that much effort and it will fix the issue.

AWESOME suggestion..... I have done similar things many times for caches worth it.

Then, place a smaller watertight lock-n-lock with a fresh log into the larger container. Label the new smaller watertight lock-n-lock "Fresh Log". Make any other appropriate repairs that you see fit. Replace the cache in its place and post a short "write note" log explaining what you have done.

Personally, if you're going to maintain a cache it may as well be your own cache, that way the new cache has an active owner and the new owner gets credit for the placement.

Personally, if you're going to maintain a cache it may as well be your own cache, that way the new cache has an active owner and the new owner gets credit for the placement.

I agree. Why spend the time and money to look after someone else's cache? The lazy owner needs to get off his/her butt and maintain it as per the geocaching guidelines which they agreed to. An NA will (should) get some action.

Obviously time for a needs archived. It's abandoned and the owner obviously does not intend to fix it.

Yep. It gets real old maintaining others caches because they are too lazy to do so themselves.

Be careful with the absolutes. People get sick and die even,,, it is not always because a person is lazy. We have some special caches here is WNY we maintain for a CO or two and it has nothing to do with them being lazy! Far from it.

Obviously time for a needs archived. It's abandoned and the owner obviously does not intend to fix it.

Yep. It gets real old maintaining others caches because they are too lazy to do so themselves.

Be careful with the absolutes. People get sick and die even,,, it is not always because a person is lazy. We have some special caches here is WNY we maintain for a CO or two and it has nothing to do with them being lazy! Far from it.

In regard to logging a find on a cache that obviously needs maintenance; it is possible to download PQ's to a non-paperless device and not know about it's condition when finally found. For the finder, I think it's quite acceptable to sign and date some kind of log even if a scrap of paper needs to be added. Therefore, a "found" should be logged. Obviously, a NM or even a NA should be added.