I no longer see that "I have found this cache" on such and such a date

Up until a few days ago I would see a red check mark up in the top right of the cache page, and little note indicating that "I had already found this cache". This no longer appears and I have looked for a setting to reinstate the note without success. Is it the website, or am I missing something?

(edit - poor spelling and grammar)

Edited by BigBadger

Up until a few days ago I would see a red check mark up in the top right of the cache page, and little note indicating that "I had already found this cache". This no longer appears and I have looked for a setting to reinstate the note without success. Is it the website, or am I missing something?

Good call!! That was a poor substitute for Lil Devil's fabulous VIP script that sadly hasn't been updated for several releases, but at least it was somewhat useful. I don't know if this has been reported yet, or not.

Good call!! That was a poor substitute for Lil Devil's fabulous VIP script that sadly hasn't been updated for several releases, but at least it was somewhat useful. I don't know if this has been reported yet, or not.

Feedback Item

It has been reported and acknowledged on the feedback forums. Hopefully it comes back soon. I'd like a similar message showing my DNFs but I guess that's not popular enough for them to implement.

Hopefully Lil Devil will understand how important his script was and bring it up to date. Better still, Groundspeak will understand how important his script was and copy it. I don't just want to know when I found it. As you say, I want to know when I DNF'd it, when I posted a note, and when my friends found it. Groundspeak... look at LD's script!!

It has been reported and acknowledged on the feedback forums. Hopefully it comes back soon. I'd like a similar message showing my DNFs but I guess that's not popular enough for them to implement.

Hopefully Lil Devil will understand how important his script was and bring it up to date. Better still, Groundspeak will understand how important his script was and copy it. I don't just want to know when I found it. As you say, I want to know when I DNF'd it, when I posted a note, and when my friends found it. Groundspeak... look at LD's script!!

Oh great, it is under review and added to the internal review. I think that means that some day, many months (years?) from now it might bubble up so some dev will look at it and fix it, that is if they don't have anything more pressing like souvenirs or videos to get out.

One has to wonder is there any formal testing that occurs at GS? One has to wonder if there is any revision control at GS? Seems like any time they hack the code and break it they have absolutely no way on God's little green earth to restore the state back to what it was until they figure out what they need to do to move forward. The recent logs debacle is a prime example.

I truly wish that Lil' Devil would have time to fix at least the VIP, and the Friends list scripts. I sure miss them.

One has to wonder is there any formal testing that occurs at GS? One has to wonder if there is any revision control at GS? Seems like any time they hack the code and break it they have absolutely no way on God's little green earth to restore the state back to what it was until they figure out what they need to do to move forward. The recent logs debacle is a prime example.

Rolling back would mean admitting a mistake had been made. Oh, the humanity!

My prediction is that Lil Devil's script will not be used by GS in its present form. For one thing, it would impose too much load on their servers as all the logs will need to be loaded. Any implementation would have to rely on back end code to generate the VIP list. It would be nice to have, especially if GS can integrate this with the (currently rather pointless) "Friends" feature. But with number of logs growing (presumably) exponentially, I suspect even if they can get it to work now, in a number of months it'll be the cause of another site slowdown.

I suspect even if they can get it to work now, in a number of months it'll be the cause of another site slowdown.

Actually it was removed so they could put the avatar images back on the logs.

[One has to wonder is there any formal testing that occurs at GS? One has to wonder if there is any revision control at GS? Seems like any time they hack the code and break it they have absolutely no way on God's little green earth to restore the state back to what it was until they figure out what they need to do to move forward. The recent logs debacle is a prime example.

I suspect even if they can get it to work now, in a number of months it'll be the cause of another site slowdown.

Actually it was removed so they could put the avatar images back on the logs.

I certainly hope that they did not remove the information so we have the images on the logs. I use the found this on such and such date to help me comprise a list of caches for REAL Challenges. The only way one can tell if they have found the cache in the past is go to the map or search all the logs. Most Real Challenges require a date in the bookmark.

Edited by bonanza36

Here is the latest:

Moun10BikeAdminMoun10Bike (Admin, Geocaching) responded · August 26, 2011

This issue was caused by the change in log formats on cache pages. It will be corrected by the site update we have planned for next Thursday (Sept. 1), if not sooner. (30657)

I vote for sooner. I remember when I first started in 2005. For several years after, one of the biggest requests was that GS put some sort of indicator on the cache page if we had found that particular cache. This is one of the few things that benefits just about every cacher. When it was reported missing yesterday, I felt that the initial response was not equal to the problem. This is a very important feature and its return needs to be a priority.

This is one of the few things that benefits just about every cacher.

Some more then others. For me, it's useful to have when clicking on a link a friend sent me. But I click on most cache pages from the map page (Which shows the smiley if you have found it) or while comparing cache finds (Which also shows if you've found it). So it was barely used by me.

Rolling back would mean admitting a mistake had been made. Oh, the humanity!

My prediction is that Lil Devil's script will not be used by GS in its present form. For one thing, it would impose too much load on their servers as all the logs will need to be loaded. Any implementation would have to rely on back end code to generate the VIP list. It would be nice to have, especially if GS can integrate this with the (currently rather pointless) "Friends" feature. But with number of logs growing (presumably) exponentially, I suspect even if they can get it to work now, in a number of months it'll be the cause of another site slowdown.

Actually, it would not have to load all logs if Groundspeak implemented it, because the query would be done on their end. It would just be a join of the logs and the friends table. Should return a pretty small record set, actually. Still, I suspect you are right that it ain't gonna happen. Instead we will have the Groundspeak version of whatever The Next Big Internet Thing is.

Problem is fixed.

Darn, what are we going to whine about now?

Did you notice that challenges no longer count toward our total finds?

Yes they do. Go to your public profile, Geocaches tab and they add to the total. The benchmarks are still an asterisks. Once they make the challenges an asterisks they will finally have it right. But what would have gotten it right if the brought waymarks into the web site since those are the only true virtuals we have.

Problem is fixed.

Did you notice that challenges no longer count toward our total finds?

Yes they do. Go to your public profile, Geocaches tab and they add to the total. The benchmarks are still an asterisks. Once they make the challenges an asterisks they will finally have it right. But what would have gotten it right if the brought waymarks into the web site since those are the only true virtuals we have.

Oh, I am soooo confused!!

Yup. It's back. I'd still prefer Lil Devil's VIP script, but this is better than nothing.

I'm not certain that I know what Lil Devil's script looked like.... What I now see again appears to be exactly the same as before.. Yay!

This, is what I was missing.2011-08-27_082447.jpg

Hey now...... I didn't whine. I think it was more like an inquiry.

Yup. It's back. I'd still prefer Lil Devil's VIP script, but this is better than nothing.

I'm not certain that I know what Lil Devil's script looked like.... What I now see again appears to be exactly the same as before.. Yay!

I don't know what the Lil Devil thing was either.

That's exactly what I saw before, and has now been returned. Yay.

I don't see any whining either. Another thing got broken, people talk about it because they liked it and used it and wanted it returned.

But I suppose that any discussion of "issues" can be considered whining by some people.

Lil Devil's script showed DNFs s well, and also your friends' logs. Friend list is maintained by the script, not the one on the site. And it only shows the logs currently loaded. You have to load all logs in order to show the info most of the time. It's a Greasemonkey script.

The whining comment is a joke, not directed at you. I think. The forum schedule thing is an ongoing forum joke.

If I've got this the right way round...

LD's script. When you clicked on the link, it went to the page and showed your log. You could scroll and see the logs above and below yours.

The GS script opens your individual log in its own page...

I much prefer LD's script!

LD's script requires you to load all logs to do that, unless your log happens to be among the 5 loaded. GS's link goes directly to your log regardless. LD's also shows all types of logs you logged for that cache. It requires you to click "load all" (it can't do that for you without violating GS TOU).

I'd like GS to implement the functionality of LD's script in an efficient way too. Maybe it'll happen. And maybe Santa Claus really exists :lol:

I don't know what the Lil Devil thing was either.

That's exactly what I saw before, and has now been returned. Yay.

I don't see any whining either. Another thing got broken, people talk about it because they liked it and used it and wanted it returned.

But I suppose that any discussion of "issues" can be considered whining by some people.

The VIP script not only showed if and when you found it, but any notes or DNFs that you also logged. In addition, it let you build a friend's list. If your friends logged the cache, you also saw those up in that box.