Jump to content

GPX on Palm


LongDogs
Followers 0

Recommended Posts

Yeah, watcher is exactly what I was thinking about. It would be hard to do on Palm, though, because of all the resource limits. (Slow CPU, almost no heap or stack, 30 x 30 char display.) icon_rolleyes.gif

 

Still, something similar could still be done. I was thinking about a Windows based program to convert the GPX to a palm DB that could be read by a companion palm program. I might could do that. I just don't know when I'd find the time. Been too swamped lately. icon_frown.gif

 

I've also heard rumors about ExpertGPS for Palm.

 

I thought I remembered reading some time back that somebody was already working on a palm program for the GPX format.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by LongDogs:

Yeah, watcher is exactly what I was thinking about. It would be hard to do on Palm...

 

Still, something similar could still be done. I was thinking about a Windows based program to convert the GPX to a palm DB that could be read by a companion palm program....

 

I thought I remembered reading some time back that somebody was already working on a palm program for the GPX format.


 

I already did somthing for the palm... and working on a PC side as we speak...GeoCachingDB

I have also been talking to "GPSBable" folks about thier multi envorment program to export files for my app.

 

More rules = Less fun!

ntga_button.gif

NTGA member

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by DougsBrat:

quote:
Originally posted by LongDogs:

Yeah, watcher is exactly what I was thinking about. It would be hard to do on Palm...

 

Still, something similar could still be done. I was thinking about a Windows based program to convert the GPX to a palm DB that could be read by a companion palm program....

 

I thought I remembered reading some time back that somebody was already working on a palm program for the GPX format.


 

I already did somthing for the palm... and working on a PC side as we speak...http://vip.hyperusa.com/~dougs/geocachingdb/geocachingdb.htm

I have also been talking to "GPSBable" folks about thier multi envorment program to export files for my app.


 

Who are you talking to? I wrote some of the Magellan NAV Companion support and all of the GPSPilot support in GPSBabel (well, all of the parts that were different from the Cetus and Magellan formats, anyway) and picked up the assist on the Cetus stuff. If you want a Palm format supported in GPSBabel, send me the information on the record structure and I'll write some code for it.

 

warm.gif

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by DougsBrat:

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

 

Who are you talking to?


 

robertlipe icon_biggrin.gif

 

More rules = Less fun!

http://www.ntga.net

NTGA member


 

Warm, Doug, let's start a public dialogue on the gpsbabel-code list on the topic of developing for GeocachingDB. I think it's an interesting idea, but I really lack the knowledge to bridge from the tool builder thingy (that Doug knows) to the Palm formats (that Warm knows)... The formats that Doug provided weren't complete enough for me to seal the deal.

 

Now, with all that aside, I do have a program in my possession of "tainted" ownership that converts a GPX file to a limited HTML file that works absolutely lovely when fed to Plucker and jammed into a Visor. Some work is mine and some is that of the original author. I'm still awaiting final disposition on the moral/legal issues...

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by DougsBrat:

I already did somthing for the palm... and working on a PC side as we speak...http://vip.hyperusa.com/~dougs/geocachingdb/geocachingdb.htm


Looks pretty sweet. Creating a pdb file (palm database) on the PC is pretty straightforward -- there are some CPAN Perl modules to assist.

 

The nasty part is the synchronization -- updating the list is one part, posting the log data to geocaching.com is yet another.

 

I just checked, and since I last looked at Palm programming, they've made it easier. Look here:

Palm CDK Page

 

[This message was edited by arrowroot on January 04, 2003 at 12:31 PM.]

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Lil Devil:

I'm working on a new feature for http://www.lildevil.org/spinner/ that will write to a set of HTML pages similar to the old http://www.pathetique.com/geocaching/. These pages could then be captured with http://www.plkr.org/index.plkr or a similar reader. Spinner is already parsing out all the needed info, I just need to format it appropriately.

 

Lil Devil http://www.lildevil.org/images/smiley/lildevil.gif


 

Just got through playing with Plucker with the downloaded files at that Palmable site. I must tell you, that's a much more elegant way to take your lists with you than that MobiPocket. It's easier to nagivate, it's faster, and with the nearest caches at the bottom of the page, it's just plain much more user friendly. After 5 minutes playing with Plucker, MobiPocket feels like crap in my hand.

 

CR

 

72057_2000.gif

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

After 5 minutes playing with Plucker, MobiPocket feels like crap in my hand.

 


 

Welcome to the clubicon_smile.gif-

 

For months now I have been using the plucker route and loving it. Its a shame the powers that been could not listen to folks and instead went on to go down the mobi crapet path. Thnakfully GPX doesnt force a user into a damaged and daming app like mobi.

 

Even with GPX, PLucker and Brians site is still the most usefull.

 

-tomwsmf

 

----------------------------

 

 

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by TeamWSMF:

 

Even with GPX, PLucker and Brians site is still the most usefull.


 

What if there were a program that married a GPX parser to the output that you recognize and love from Brian's site? That output could, of course, then be plucked or avantgoed (avantwent?) or whatever as you wish.

 

Hmmmm. What if....

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Byron & Anne:

I tried using GPSBabble to convert geocaching loc files to Cetus. I didn't have any luck.

I'm using Visor Pro with a Magellan GPS Companion.

Well, I guess I'm doing something wrong.

 

Byron


 

i had a lot of trouble using gpsbabel in the begining. but some friends talked me through it. if you need some help from a computer idiot, let me know via email and i will detail some instructions in plain english for you.

 

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

Warm, Doug, let's start a public dialogue on the gpsbabel-code list on the topic of developing for GeocachingDB. I think it's an interesting idea, but I really lack the knowledge to bridge from the tool builder thingy (that Doug knows) to the Palm formats (that Warm knows)... The formats that Doug provided weren't complete enough for me to seal the deal.


 

Please, call me Fuzzy. Warm is my caching partner. icon_smile.gif

 

I'll be watching for the gpsbabel-code discussion of these issues. For what it's worth, this page probably describes the database format.

 

warm.gif

 

[This message was edited by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy on January 06, 2003 at 08:04 AM.]

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

 

Just got through playing with Plucker with the downloaded files at that Palmable site. I must tell you, that's a _much_ more elegant way to take your lists with you than that MobiPocket.

 

After 5 minutes playing with Plucker, MobiPocket feels like crap in my hand.


 

Be careful, that Palmable site I mentioned hasn't been updated since August, 2002 when the powers that be decided to block screen-scraping tools in an attempt to control their bandwidth loads.

 

GPX Spinner, on the other hand, will be as current as the GPX file you supply.

 

See my announcement here.

 

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

Link to comment

Working with DougsBrat, I've put together a VBScript that uses a shareware PDAToolbox control on windows to convert the GPX XML into a .pdb file that can be used with Doug's GeocachingDB application on the palm.

 

It's not ready for release yet -- I'd leave that up to Doug, since it's his app it's got to work with -- but it was easier than I thought it would be.

 

I'm going to look into making it a full-fledged Palm conduit (complete with automatic logging of finds back to geocaching.com), and possibly removing the shareware control to make the thing 100% open-source.

 

BOTL,

Joel (Arrowroot)

 

I have many names, you know

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Followers 0
×
×
  • Create New...