Operational questions GPSmap 60SCx

Lodge Pole

Yesterday I bought a nice clean used garmin GPSmap 60 SCx, and spent time, lots of time reading the manual, and making little way points in the field to 'find'. I set a lot of settings, and played around in the menu.

I came up with a lot of questions, I am sure time and use will answer, but I have one I can't seem to find a clue to answer.

I am hoping someone here has a same gps unit.

From on I hit the Find button, selected cities, and it ran a list. I chose one, and the gps ran out as straight as an arrow line to that city. I searched the book hard to figure if there is a way to get this type of Outdoor hand held gps to follow and point out roads before i take them.

It was left on when i bought it some 85 miles away, and I discovered that upon getting home last night, and it tracked every move I made, but I thought the unit was off.

So it knows where I have been, but I might like to use it on a motorcycle to tell me how to get where I am going if it can do that too.

The major use I have is hiking trails, and caching, which is all very new to me.

But if it can do raods too, that's a big plus.

Another question I was saving, is how do I go about down loading from this site?

I am no pc guru a bit, and please don't use accronyms, unless you also text the word, like L&L (Lock in lock, meaning a sandwich box) But please don't use pc lanugage either as accronyms, because I just won't 'get it' Old Dawgs have a hard time learning new tricks, and the more times you push a button the hard the bite is :lol:

Using an example would help a lot. My zipcode is 03886, and not far from me are several caches. There is a little one I haven't looked for yet, as I was fairly sure i could find it with no gps. It's called 'Peanut on a Stick'.

The Garmine GPSmap 60 SCx has USB, and I have just registered it with Garmin, and down some sort of communications down load and test and the gps can talk to garmin.

For all I know the gps will need a DL (Down Load) to talk to Groundspeak.

Old Dawgs are real wordy, so take care if you reply B)

On Edit:

I found out how to down load Peanut on a stick. The next thing to do is go find it sometime tomorrow. What do I do then?

Edited by Lodge Pole

There are better ways to download caches, but I simply create a gpx file for the ones I want to hunt. Then I upload these to MapSource from the "downloads" file on my computer. That creates a map which will transfer to the 60cs. I also print the map because I like a visual representation which is bigger than the screen on the GPS receiver. In addition I can load the dashboard GPS (NUVI) by exporting the MapSource map as a gpx file, using Garmin's POI loader. The dashboard unit gets me to a good parking space and the handheld unit takes me to the cache.

Many folks like to have the entire data sheet stored in the GPS unit, and I'll let one of them describe how it's done. I skip that part because I can view the data sheet on my cell phone. But take heart.....with the GPS unit you purchased, downloading info is a pretty seamless operation.

The tech folks have made it easy...even for old dawgs. rolleyes.gif

Welcome and congrats on one of the most popular GPS`s in bygone days (OK, many are still using this great unit).

To begin with in order to use the gps to give you road navigation you would have to purchase garmins city select or what ever its called now days (city navigator).

For better free maps ( non navigable) to load onto a MicroSD card the unit uses, try here.

Seeing you are not a premium member, the .GPX files PFF mentions are not available to you. non premium members get .loc files. The difference between them is the .gpx file has a lot more info included with it, close to everything on the cache page, name, coords, container size, type, description, hints, last 5 logs. You just need to have the right program to use it. The .loc file has just basic stuff, name, coords.

The easiest way to down load is to install Garmins Communicator Plugin if you havent already and then on the cache page hit the "send to" button.

Another way would be to download the .loc file to your PC and use EasyGPS to load to your unit.

Did you get a disk with the unit containing either Garmin`s Basecamp or Mapsource? You could use either to send the caches to it also. There is a free way to get mapsource, just google it. This program is also good so you can look at caches you have downloaded on your pc and the free maps mentions above also need it to transfer to your unit.

Could go on but dont want to get your head spinning to much. But lots of help here on the boards if you need it.

Thanks guys....

IBcrasen I did get the Garmins Communicator Pluggin just this evening. The gps came with 3 CD's.

1 USB Drivers, I have not run yet, and am not sure if I need to or not.

2 Trip & Waypoint manager, which I have not run yet.

3 Garmin DVD maps Topo US 110K, which I haven't looked at yet either.

I am brand new at this sort of thing. If I can get a grip on it I will pay the price of premium member in a flash, but I always start in baby steps on new ventures.

Also this gps unit has a 2GB (Gigabyte) chip, but not the original 64 mb (Mega Byte) chip.

I see no way to check for room on the hard drive like My Computer does.

This is my first gps ever. First time to hold one in my hand(s)

When I registered the gps with Garmin this evening I got a 10% off offer, good for one use, and for combined offers.

One item that would be interesting to me is a 12 volt adapter, and if maps are something I can still buy for street use, that would appeal to me.

I have no cell phone and no plans to buy one, nor any laptop, or other ipod devices.

Right now this gps is a test/toy, and I have no real need of it yet. I am old fashion and have always used paper maps to go places. I even use car road maps to navigate on larger lakes, sailing a canoe. The canoe sails with no hands once it is set on a course and so making charts on the lakes is a way to pass the time with a ruler, compass and pencil.

PFF, I don't know what MapSource is, should I try and google for it, and do the down load for a desk top pc? If you run the zip code 03886, there is a zillion caches all around me. Most of them I don't need a map to get near, just to find them. The name and the code for the coords is all I think I need. Maybe some luck looking inside of 20 feet.

And what do I do once I find one? My plan there is to sign any log I find and take nothing at all. But I want to report to the cache owner I found it, which is the point right?

Story: 2 years ago i found 2 caches by chance, and knew it was a game of some sort. I just left a note, since I knew it was a game but not the rules. Last year I found one of the same again, and wondered why it wasn't gone. The other is gone.

2 weeks ago my Brother In Law took me caching, and since he knew the rules, and took a thing, giving a thing, I told him I wanted the ammo box! LOL He told me NO you can't take the box! I asked why not, we found it all? And so he explained. I thought the box and everything in it was the prize.

Somebody needs to put out a steamer trunk with a ammo box I can take! LOL

Edited by Lodge Pole
2 weeks ago my Brother In Law took me caching, and since he knew the rules, and took a thing, giving a thing, I told him I wanted the ammo box!

Now your family knows what to get you for Christmas! rolleyes.gif

Regarding your 60cs......For me, recharageable batteries are more practical than a 12-volt power cord. And the best batteries I've found are the SANYO "eneloop" series. These have a very low "internal discharge" rate, meaning that if you want to grab the GPS on short notice and hit the road, the charge from last week (or even two weeks ago) will give you hours of use.

I started with a package which included two batteries and a charger (SEC-MDR02TG3U). Over several years, I've built my inventory to eight batteries because I have an AA-sized flashlight and my digital camera also uses the AA size for power. For your purposes, the two battery set should work fine. Having a spare set is not a bad idea. Or, in an emergency, you can stop at any store and purchase two conventional AA batteries. Just be sure to use the "eneloop" charger with "eneloop" batteries.

By the way, I'm a "paper" guy, like you. I go on very targeted hunts, rather than driving around and letting my GPS alert me to a nearby cache. It's a personal preference thing. For me, it avoids being distracted by my hobby when I should be working or running an errand for my spouse. Also, I always review recent logs before searching for a cache. If several experienced cachers have not found it, I may not give it priority--or I'll know to put it off until I have plenty of time to spend hunting.

2 weeks ago my Brother In Law took me caching, and since he knew the rules, and took a thing, giving a thing, I told him I wanted the ammo box!

Now your family knows what to get you for Christmas! rolleyes.gif

Regarding your 60cs......For me, recharageable batteries are more practical than a 12-volt power cord. And the best batteries I've found are the SANYO "eneloop" series. These have a very low "internal discharge" rate, meaning that if you want to grab the GPS on short notice and hit the road, the charge from last week (or even two weeks ago) will give you hours of use.

I started with a package which included two batteries and a charger (SEC-MDR02TG3U). Over several years, I've built my inventory to eight batteries because I have an AA-sized flashlight and my digital camera also uses the AA size for power. For your purposes, the two battery set should work fine. Having a spare set is not a bad idea. Or, in an emergency, you can stop at any store and purchase two conventional AA batteries. Just be sure to use the "eneloop" charger with "eneloop" batteries.

By the way, I'm a "paper" guy, like you. I go on very targeted hunts, rather than driving around and letting my GPS alert me to a nearby cache. It's a personal preference thing. For me, it avoids being distracted by my hobby when I should be working or running an errand for my spouse. Also, I always review recent logs before searching for a cache. If several experienced cachers have not found it, I may not give it priority--or I'll know to put it off until I have plenty of time to spend hunting.

I wasn't aware I could set up the SCx for alerts, but I can't hear the tones, so turned them all off anyway. The manual says the tones eat battery power, and since I can't hear them, off they go.

The USB cable powers the unit in the house, so I was just guessing the 12 volt adapter would be cool. I'ld like to know what the voltage is at the gps end of that adapter. If the adapter just sends 12 volts to the gps and the gps, steps it down, I can make my own easy. And or if I knew what the output I could add in a resistor.

And I don't have that brand of ni-cads, but I have ni-cads. There is engergizers in the gps as bought, and I ran then about 6 hours the day i bought the gps, 30 min utes getting the idea as the purchase was taking place, another 2.5 hours visiting. The seller was a artist, as is my wife, and they shared a conversation a while. (We'er bad around new folks, suckin' up time) Then another 2.5 hours riding home, and stopped for a early dinner on the road.

Then I messed about with the gps probably 4 to 5 hours more yesterday, and during that time the screen didn't go dark, probably because i was messing with it so much, like to the point both of my thumbs became sore LOL.

Yeah I can always use another ammo box. I keep old 35mm cameras and their lenses in 2, and have 2 more as first aid kits, and I even use a few for ammo.

So what is it I do when I find the 'Peanut on a Stick'?

I'm guessing you mean a particular cache. Generally, it's much easier to post the GC code of a cache, rather than the name. It's a big, world-wide community here on the forums, and there are often caches with the same name.

However, apparently only one is named "peanut on a stick". :laughing:

I assume this is the cache you're talking about:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0331256c-e0ad-4676-9cfb-68955cab3c33

If you find a cache, the most common thing to do is sign the log book.

Some folks bring along an assortment of trinkets to trade. Some of us just leave stuff without taking anything out.

Then you re-hide the container where you found it.

You can choose to post your find online. (It's also appropriate to post if you didn't find the cache. That's a DNF.)

May I suggest that you take some time to read over the articles in the Knowledge Books? There's a lot of information there, and it's all very helpful.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

I would also suggest that you read the Guidelines. Again, very helpful to everyone.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=11

Good luck with the hunt for "peanut on a stick". (What does that mean????)

I'm guessing you mean a particular cache. Generally, it's much easier to post the GC code of a cache, rather than the name. It's a big, world-wide community here on the forums, and there are often caches with the same name.

However, apparently only one is named "peanut on a stick". :laughing:

I assume this is the cache you're talking about:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0331256c-e0ad-4676-9cfb-68955cab3c33

If you find a cache, the most common thing to do is sign the log book.

Some folks bring along an assortment of trinkets to trade. Some of us just leave stuff without taking anything out.

Then you re-hide the container where you found it.

You can choose to post your find online. (It's also appropriate to post if you didn't find the cache. That's a DNF.)

May I suggest that you take some time to read over the articles in the Knowledge Books? There's a lot of information there, and it's all very helpful.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

I would also suggest that you read the Guidelines. Again, very helpful to everyone.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=11

Good luck with the hunt for "peanut on a stick". (What does that mean????)

Thanks I will do all that reading. I don't know yet how to use the code unique to the cache, and forgot the heading of the Knowledge Books.

With the hurrican coming, I wasn't able to go look for the cache Peanut on a stick, but I am guessing the container for the cache has something to do with it.

I am /was wanting to understand what to do on line with it if i find it. I am not very PC savey, and sometimes the way instructions are written, only adds to the confusion.

If I find this cache, and i am guessing I will it will be number 1, so there is a lot I don't know.

In the GPSmap 60 SCx there is no glossary and many terms are used I don't yet understand to.

I didn't set out to be expert on day 1.

You can get free routable maps (aka street maps your GPS can guide you on) for Garmin GPS units on various websites.

Here you can select individual areas to get as one map file. It may take some time to actually create your file.

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

This site has pre-made downloadable maps of the US in varous sizes, sorted by a longitude range, but the map of the entire US is 4GB and you said you only have a 2GB card. (There are 2 2GB files you could download, which would each give you half the US. After reading)

http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/garmin/Lambertus/2011-08-12/

As far as MapSource, the "trip & waypoint manager" CD would have MapSource on it. It's a Garmin program that lets you manage your maps on your computer. (You could, for example, install your Topo maps into it and then, to save space for other stuff, only send parts of the map you intend to use over to the GPS. But then if you went somewhere without loading maps for that area, you wouldn't have them unless you had your computer.) After doing a little research, it seems that (if the firmware on it is relatively recent) the maximum file size for all the maps on the unit (which get combined into one big file) is 4GB, with a further limit of 2025 map segments. (No clue how the map segment limit works.)

Your device should be able to use MicroSD cards up to 16GB, but you don't really need that much space. A 4GB or 8GB card would work. If you don't mind swapping MicroSD cards, (no idea how easy it is on that unit) you could use one card with Topo maps for finding Geocaches, and another card with either City Navigator or free OSM maps for driving to a Geocache site. The trick is the cards are small so you'd have to be careful when swapping them so that you don't loose any.

If you do decide to use free maps with the Garmin GPS, the easiest way to manage all that is to install and use MapSource. Getting the OSM maps into MapSource takes some extra work and some free tools if the map does not come with an installer:

http://freegeographytools.com/2007/adding-garmin-img-files-to-mapsource

I think the maps from the first link in my post may come with an installer, but the maps on the second

(Note that there are all sorts of free maps, including things like maps of local trails and stuff, not just street or topo maps.)

As far as 12v power adapters, any 12v to USB adapter should work with the regular USB cable, but if that GPS works like the Nuvi I've used it may go into PC mode first, wait a while trying to contact a computer that isn't there, and then finally go into GPS mode. The(expensive) Garmin Vehicle Power Adapter should not have that issue, if this GPS does that at all. You can see the accessories Garmin sells for the 60csx by clicking the accessories tab on this page:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=310

Edrick, Thanks for all the info both times.. The 2 GB chip is easy to get under the AA batterys, but it sure is small. I take it the oem (factory) maps and the TOPO US 100K use all the space in a 2GB chip then.

I was hoping there would be room, and a down load for street maps would just add a icon. I could see me dropping a chip outdoors, and loosing it real easy.

I did take the chip and batterys out, to make sure they looked clean, and wiped all contacts with a dry soft cotton rag, but I didn't see any grime. I come from a foreign car tech back ground, and so know all it takes to kill a connection at times is acids from one finger print.

Is it possible to go to My Computer to see the gps drive, click 'properties' and see the chip/drive in the gps and judge any room left over?

I haven't tried that yet, and am sorry if it's a dumb question.

I have a lot of research, then coming to some understanding of it, for both the game, and the gps, but I knew it would be this way. :tired:

Edrick, Thanks for all the info both times.. The 2 GB chip is easy to get under the AA batterys, but it sure is small. I take it the oem (factory) maps and the TOPO US 100K use all the space in a 2GB chip then.

There is no need to load the topo map for all of North America. Just load maps for your state and any other location that you are likely to visit. The factory base maps are in the unit's memory, not on the card.

I was hoping there would be room, and a down load for street maps would just add a icon. I could see me dropping a chip outdoors, and loosing it real easy.

If you load select areas you should have plenty of room for other maps with a 2 gig card. I have all of Garmin's Northeast 24K Topo, City Navigator for the metro areas of any city I remotely have a chance of visiting and 100K topo for much of the eastern US that isn't covered by my NE 24K topo all loaded onto my 2 gig card. The more likely limitation you will run into is the map segment limitation ( forget the exact limit but it's around 2,000)

Is it possible to go to My Computer to see the gps drive, click 'properties' and see the chip/drive in the gps and judge any room left over?

Not on the unit, but if you buy a cheap card reader, you can put the card in the reader and see what is on it. You might be best off wiping it clean and loading what you want. If the original owner has maps and POIs that are useless to you loaded on it, no point in them taking up room.

Edited by briansnat

briansnat, Thanks, can you comment more on 'How To' wipe the gps clean? I am not seeing anything in the paper 101 page manual on that. I think what is loaded is what ever was standard in memory and 100K topo eastern US, as I was told by the seller.

The seller did leave caches he found, and for the time being I plan to leave them there, so I have examples to assist my learning curve.

I have 0 understanding, without putting my face in the 101 page manual currently. Well, I am learning 'How To' set up ceratin menus by trial and error, but can't always remember what I just did, and often there is not enough detail to explain many terms use in the device. I went thru this with a SONY DSC-W350 point and shoot camera, and while I can fiddle around and sort of fine my way thru the options, this gps has far more.

I haven't got the skills to F Disk a PC either, and don't want to screw up real bad with the gps, if that's possible. I can't say one way or the other if it is possible, but if it is I sure am the one who can do it!

In my own time, with help I can learn anything.

You can put the SD card in a card reader and delete the files. OR when you load new maps it automatically erases the existing ones (Mfr's basemap not included).

You can't add maps with the 60CSX, you can only replace what is on the card. Meaning that it erases what is on it and loads your new maps over them.

So when you do load maps, you would load 100K topo and whatever other maps you are loading at the same time.

My only concern is that he may have POIs on there that are taking up room. Download Garmin's POI loader to delete any POIs

Edited by briansnat

briansnat, I messed about with the gps today and found I can and can not delete some of what is in the Geographic Points Folder, which is curious. Some items I put there somehow, and others the seller had there. The one thing they all have in common is they share the same map name, which is Lake Winnipesaukee NH (Northeast).

I also used the gps to find my first cache, the one listed as Peanut on a Stick. I would never have found it with out gps. Man that one was hard to see, and I was sitting on the ground rolling a smoke. When I lit up I happened to look up, and saw it. I signed the log, but it isn't offical as I deleted it, just see if i could. I deleleted all the sellers found caches today sitting in the woods at that location too.

Mostly I am trying to see what the tool does and what all the menu settings per page are like.

There is more questions, mostly what settings geocachers find usefull in the data field settings. So far the pointer on any page not the compass seems good, as does distance to the cache. I wonder if there is a picture site on line for basic setting of data, I could look at and match.

Each page menu does not always seem to display the same either, and on occasion I get more or less choices, sometimes grayed out.

In a little bit I will run the 100k map CD and see if I can make sence of that.

Not knowing any better, I think I would get most use out of Vt, NH and main only maps, and when I get any street mapping these same states, maybe mass too.

Next thing I will do is DL Garmin's POI loader to delete any POIs, if I can find that DL.

It looks like you read my first post pretty well. So any acronym I use, need not be texted out long, as i will know the meanings.

Oh maybe you coud clue me in on Restore defalts is? Can I get in lots of trouble, if I do that on any pages that offer it?

Thanks for all the help.

Restore Defaults will restore the settings on that page (think it's just that page) to their factory default value. (It might ask if you really want to do that, not totally sure.)

As I've mentioned, MapSource is a tool you can use to pick and choose what parts of what maps to load onto the card to try and make everything fit. Just leave some extra room for Geocaches. :)

Looks like a rainy day here, so I will run the CD's that came with the 60SCx.

So far, I have done the down load, and run CommunicationPligin_301.

I down loaded POILoader for windows_270, but have not run it yet, but will after I look at the CD's.

I tripped over how much of the 2GB chip is used and it says 51% is used.

How I got there was messin about last night.

The path is Page button > setup > enter > system > menu > (select)Card Info > enter > read the graphs.

I looked at My Computer, and don't see the gps losted as a drive at all, and suspect that's because i haven 't run the Driver's CD.

So I think I will run that first, but may look at all 3 Cd's first, to see if i can understand what I see.

The goal is more or less to revert to factory defaults, and wipe the gps clean, and set it up my way, what ever that turns out to be. This is all in the name of getting familar with the device.

I am pretty sure i can either screw up the gps device or atleast the PC, as I usually do. :blink:

Sure enuff i got in trouble. First problem was i have no unlock map code. The 2nd one is i got hit with a tropical storm, and on gennie power now, hoping my corn can be set back up. It's calm here now, seemingly in the eye of the storm. The 3rd was getting cut of line by the storm has changed my Garmin language to French! Does Garmin send out pretty French women with cold beer, to tropical storm victims?

Anyway this thread is a big help. I am back to investigate more of the links. Thanks you guys.

Messed around some more with the POILoader, to reduce the topo maps which took 51% of the drive, and over wrote for just the 6 New England states, which the'Full' bar has at 6%. It seems the sellers poi's have gone missing, but the local ones I set in 3 days ago are still there. That seems odd.

Clicking on that to select a local pond, the gps gives me a message to simulate driving there. The storm has me inside and I can't get satilites sitting at my PC.

The map is running right down the road as if I were driving.

I wonder what setting I made that made this happen? I am getting more familar, but it's like workin'.

Rather then use a map unlock code, I think you would use the Topo map DVD. If that requires a code, and you can't find it in the packaging/manual/etc. then maybe you could find out about it from the previous owner. (Just checked the MapSource help and it says the unlock code should be on the back of the disc case.)

It also might be possible to import the map and/or info about it into MapSource from the GPS. I'm thinking of "Transfer|Receive From Device" which, on my copy of MapSource, can apparently get Maps, Waypoints, Routes, and Tracks from a GPS. (Assuming it has any of those.) Haven't actually tried it.

Edit: Forgot about the simulation comment. If the GPS doesn't have a satellite lock (aka it doesn't know for sure where it is) it may ask if you want to go into simulation mode. (aka GPS receiver off) It's also possible to do via settings. IIRC, with a Nuvi I've used I don't think the setting remains after the unit has been turned off and back on again.

Edited by EdrickV

The map code problem came when I installed the POI Loader, and appears to be why I need the code. I can run the CD TOPO US 100K, ok and over wrote to the 60 Scx, getting 6% total Full on the chip, but reducing Topo maps to just the 6 New England States. The code is supposed to be 25 digits. The DC case has a 10 digit S/N number. I may write to the seller, he's a nice guy.

Also yesterday I down loaded a few caches to the GPS, and again to a folder in Documents, and can't get the PC to open .gpx files. Is it possible to get a program that will open .gpx files?

Nothing on this sytem will, manually, and so I went with the find on line solution, which got me to make the error of downloading a scam Fix the registery program, which made claim to some 240 errors. Well I have a for pay real registery fixer from my dial up folks and I use CC C leaner too, and am sure there is no 244 registery errors.

So what do I do to read .gpx files?

The comments on simulation mode are aimed at this gps appears to be able to follow roads, rather than just run a dead arrow straight line over mountings, rivers and such to get to another town. It is a setting, I must have sellected.

The storm has past and I can go out and pick off satilites, and the next time I drive I will set up to some place I already know, and see what the gps does then.

Most of these questions could be answered by anyone familar face to face in 30 minutes I bet.

Edited by Lodge Pole

You can configure Notepad to open GPX files, but unless you want to change stuff in them, you don't need to open them. Just put them in the GPX folder on the GPS card. (The GPX folder might be inside a Garmin folder.)

Whether a map has roads that can be used for driving directions and such will depend on the specific map(s) installed. Not all maps are "routable" and I don't know for sure about that particular map. One other thing that can affect things which that GPS might have is a vehicle/walking mode. (The Nuvi I used could be put into Car, Bicycle, or Walking mode. I configured Walking mode for "offroad" navigation, aka a straight line, while the other two were configured to follow roads. So for Geocaching I'd start in vehicle mode, navigate to somewhere near the cache with parking available, and switch to walking mode while trying to find GZ and the cache. If the GPS was in walking mode and in a vehicle moving faster then you could normally walk, it would ask if you wanted to switch to vehicle mode, which was kinda handy if I hadn't gotten around to switching yet.)

If you're looking for a super simple way to download a cache, hook up your GPS by USB to your computer. Go to the cache that you want on Geocaching.com, and

on the cache page, just a few lines down, you'll see "send to GPS'. Click that, and it will be sent to your GPSr. Once you can do that, you'll soon see that

you can do multiple caches of your own choosing and whatever area you like. Move involved would be to create a Pocket Query in Geocaching.com, and put a check

mark in the box for the ones that you want to send to GPS. Happy caching! ~J

Forgot about the map stuff. As far as I know, POI Loader has nothing to do with the maps, it loads Points of Interest. (Which is one way Geocaches can be loaded on a Garmin device, though not the way I prefer.) So something seems odd about that. (Maybe you were using MapInstall?)

As far as codes, the map CD should have an 8-digit product key on the back of the case. You can enter that on http://my.garmin.com under Manage Maps to get a 25-digit map unlock code. If you already have maps registered online, (might have happened when registering the GPS online) then you can see both codes by clicking the Details link for that map.

Edit: Actually, if the maps aren't already registered, this probably will be what you need:

https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/registration/gettingStarted.htm

Edited by EdrickV

The POI loader will have nothing to do with the unlock code. If you have successfully sent segements ( each little section you select to send in mapsource is a segment) of the topo map ( which by the way is not a route-able map) to the gps, the topo map is already unlocked. If the previous owner used the 100k topo maps with the gps (the unlock code is tied to 1 gps unit use only) the problem might be that the mapsource program installed on your pc doesnt know it has already been done. You can retrieve/back up the unlock code by opening Mapsource going to Utilities/unlock maps and in the wizard that opens click next and you will then have radio buttons for Retrieve/install codes, backup code, view code, along with other choices.

when you send POI to the unit it will over write the other POI file, that is why the former owners POI are gone.

You cannot put the .gpx file on the card. The unit cannot read gpx files on the card. the gpx file are stored in the built in memory of the unit.

to turn off "follow road' hit menu scroll to setup, hit enter (menu/menu scroll to setup from any page) then scroll to "map" and hit enter. Then on that page make sure the "n" is highlighted and hit enter. It will be the bottom choice.

Also when you hit find/waypoint you have the choice of "follow road" "offroad".

Also you can see what is on the micro card via the pc by turning it on to "USB mass storage". To do this on menu/setup hit enter then interface/enter scroll down to bottom to USB mass storage-enter. It will now show up in "my computer". to exit mass storage hit the power button once.

Edited by IBcrashen

You cannot put the .gpx file on the card. The unit cannot read gpx files on the card. the gpx file are stored in the built in memory of the unit.

According to Garmin's specs, the 60CSx does not have built-in memory.

Built-in memory: no

http://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=310

Map Storage: Dependant on the capacity of the microSD Card.

From the user manual. The manual doesn't mention GPX files except when talking about tracks on the data card.

The only Garmin unit I've had personal experience with was a Nuvi 1300, and it could read gpx files on the memory card. (Though that unit has built-in memory and actually copied the info from the individual gpx files into one big gpx file in built-in memory.)

Edit: Have read that the 60CSx actually stores Geocaches in a Points of Interest file (.gpi) on the card rather then .gpx. Easiest ways to load Geocaches this way would probably be to use POI Loader or MapSource.

Edited by EdrickV

I am unable to finish the Map Source install (I think). I can see the map, but can not create a library. With out a code i get stuck here . oops I can't see how to upload a bit map. I made a screen print of the point MapSource won't let me pass with out a code. I see a seral number as S/N: C200053674. 10 digits not 7 or 8 and not 25.

I haven't tried to register the TOPO U.S. 100K

I am unable to finish the Map Source install (I think). I can see the map, but can not create a library. With out a code i get stuck here . oops I can't see how to upload a bit map. I made a screen print of the point MapSource won't let me pass with out a code. I see a seral number as S/N: C200053674. 10 digits not 7 or 8 and not 25.

I haven't tried to register the TOPO U.S. 100K

Go here:

http://my.garmin.com login, and click Manage Maps. See if the topo map shows up there.

If it shows up, click Details. Both the 8-digit code (Product Key) and 25-digit Unlock Code will show up.

If it doesn't show up, then click My Products and then on the right click "Register Now." On the far right will be Maps and Charts. That's what you need to go through to register the topo map DVD. You need the serial code for this

Edited by EdrickV

According to Garmin's specs, the 60CSx does not have built-in memory.

Built-in memory: no

I believe this is an incorrect interpretation of the 60 specs. Waypoints are stored on-board, no extra memory (microSD card) required. To test, remove the card and load some waypoints. The extra memory is required for additional maps.

Nothing on Garmin's site that I saw says anything about storing stuff on internal memory, so that's what I went by. The way the OP is transfering Geocaches, it sounds like they are being installed as POIs rather then waypoints in any event. (I think I read somewhere that while you can only have a certain number of waypoints, there isn't a hard limit on POIs.)

Is there a way to up load a print screen to here?

Garmin says to do this:

At this time, Topo mapping, provided on a disk, is not a product that needs to have a 25 character unlock code. To check to see if the mapping says "Locked", "Unlocked", or "Not Lockable" please use the steps below.

1. open MapSource (me: yes i can do this)

2. click on "Utilities" (me: yes i can do this)

3. click on "Manage Map Products..." (me: No, as there is no Manage Map Products choice to select)

You will see the mapping installed onto your computer's hard drive and the status of the product will be located under the "Status" column. (me: I see no trace of Topo U C 100k anywhere on Map Source. I see no drop down menu like the CD demo has. On the CD demo Trip & Waypoint Manager the drop down says City Navigator.

Following along with the demo, where is shows how to use the select an area icon , and choose parts of maps, When I do that the rectangle does not turn yellow, and remain. I draw a black rectangle which is black, and as soon as I let go of the mouse left button the rectangle disapears.

If someone can tell me how to up load a print screen I have one made.

If some one can tell me how to get map Source to see TOPO US 100K, that would be cool too.

If someone can tell me how to up load a print screen I have one made.

To post a photo on this site, you'll need to first upload it to an online service like photobucket, snapfish, et al. Once loaded, copy the direct link to the photo, click the "Insert Image" button just above the text editing box (2 right of the smiley face) and insert the link. Should look something like this:

P5310082.jpg

(Hint: click "reply" and you'll see the underlying codes to post an image)

Edited by JBnW

snipped for brevity...

You will see the mapping installed onto your computer's hard drive and the status of the product will be located under the "Status" column. (me: I see no trace of Topo U C 100k anywhere on Map Source. I see no drop down menu like the CD demo has. On the CD demo Trip & Waypoint Manager the drop down says City Navigator.

Following along with the demo, where is shows how to use the select an area icon , and choose parts of maps, When I do that the rectangle does not turn yellow, and remain. I draw a black rectangle which is black, and as soon as I let go of the mouse left button the rectangle disapears.

OK, I've been following this tortured thread and just can't figure out what you're trying to do or why you're trying to do it that way. And I'll apologize for the whole forum; the 60CSx is such a well-known GPS that you should be getting much more input and answers to your questions. So just to clarify from your quote above, MapSource doesn't indicate that Topo 100K is installed (Utilities>Manage Map Products), but you see maps in MapSource? What maps do you see? Have you clicked the "Map Tool" icon in MapSource or click Tools>Map to select the segments?

I'll also post this oldy-but-goody about loading CDs directly to your computer. I wouldn't suggest doing this yet, let's get the silly thing working first, then tweek it.

If some one can tell me how to get map Source to see TOPO US 100K, that would be cool too.

Just what are those 3 dvd labeled as? West, East, Alaska & Hawaii? Are you sure they are topo 100K and not just plan old topo ( which needs no activation code)?

Have you run the setup.exe program so it installs on your pc? If they are just topo disk`s, if I remember right, the setup.exe file is on the west.

Edrick, Thanks. I got a bad install of Garmin Topo us 100k and when I made the 2nd dirty install it created 2 duplicate folders. What made it hard was the install doesn't tell where the installer folder is going. With a clean install after hunting a long time to find that folder, the MapSource sees the topo maps and there is Manage Map Products showing as a choice now.

Next I get to learn the How To of the program, which I couldn't do with out the program reading it.

How did you upload that picture? I have photobucket, which might work here. I never tried being so new to get a picture on this site.

I had wanted to load a print screen.

Edited by Lodge Pole

IBcrashin TOPO U.S. 100K is a single CD, not a 3 pack.

JBnW, TOPO U.S. 100K failed to install, on the 2nd try suggested by Garmin,TOPO U.S. 100K created 2 duplicate folders product (2), and made a royal mess. TOPO U.S. 100K installer does not give you a root folder location, it just dumps somewhere in the system and finding it wasn't easy for me. This is where it set up house: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GARMIN.

So the map I saw was what ever MapSource has as default. Not knowing what to expect, and with no way to see a trace of TOPO U.S. 100K in the program, I was a little lost.

I had wanted to upload right off my system, which is possible on some sites. It's a little lazy on my part to upload to photobucket for a print screen.

Just incase you want to see a real pic of the guy your chattin'up here it is.

1812.jpg

Now what the heck do you suppose any geocacher that crosses my path will do? LOL

Last you were right on I was tortured for sure.

Edited by Lodge Pole

JBnW, As soon as this pain between my ears goes away . :blink:

As soon as I figure out how to use both MapSource, and Base Camp, which as i understand it, comes with TOPO U.S. 100K.

I sure got off on the wrong foot.

Stick with MapSource. I've used a very similar GPS (76CSx...the aquatic version of the 60CSx) for 5 years now and never once used BaseCamp or Trip and Waypoint Manager. MapSource is all you need* to load/unload maps, waypoints, tracks, routes, etc.

*Need, as in need, not "want". Once you get MapSource mastered, then we'll start you into more powerful geocaching tools. ;)

Good luck!

Thanks for that info. It will be a while, before I am anything like proficient. I tried to set it to go to a remote area in Maine over the weekend, and I guessed the destination, and was off by 3/10ths mile. Not bad since i hadn't been there but once 3 years ago. There is a lot of gravel roads to choose out there too. But my settings were dismal.