Schrödinger's Geocoin

scificollector

Have you ever went to a geocache and wondered if the travelers were actually there? It was another day of finding some caches with their coins in them and some with missing coins. I thought “Why be frustrated about it? Why not make it part of the game?” This was the beginning of the idea for the
Schrödinger’s geocoin

Schrödinger was an Austrian Physicist who had a created a thought experiment to try to illustrate a problem with quantum mechanics. A cat was put into a box and a device was hooked up to measure the decay of a radioactive atom. Depending on if the atom decayed, the device would release a gas affecting the cat. Schrödinger postulated that until the cat was observed by opening the box, it was in a indeterminate state (neither affected or unaffected by the gas). Once the box was opened and the cat observed would the true determination of its state would be made. Science fiction author, Robert Heinlein came up with another twist to the experiment. Cats are capricious and they may end up deciding they don’t want to wait around to find out out what happens and may just leave the box themselves. (From the book
Cat who walks through Walls
)

This is very similar to the state of geocoins in a cache. The cache can list the trackables at geocaching.com but until you actually get out to a cache its impossible to make that determination if the coins is actually in there.

product11-2.jpg

product11-1.jpg

product11.jpg

The front of the coin depicts Schrödinger's cat in the center of the coin surrounded by the various possibilities or states that it could be in. The back side is a stereogram which ties into the idea that perception is necessary to collapse a random assortment into a coherent image. I was lucky enough to be able to change the stereogram with each coin version so the images encoded each version is different and tell a story. A bit more later.............

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Each of the coins reverse side contain a stereogram or in this case a specific type of stereogram called an Autostereogram. There is a 'hidden' 3D picture encoded within a 2D image. Generally one keeps ones eyes unfocused when looking at the 2D picture and the 3D hidden picture will 'pop' off the 2D image. Alternatively, some people can cross their eyes in order to view the hidden picture. The three coins (as well as the AE version) are different.

The first coin(Antique Gold)was made from a photo of some of the antique gold coins that I owned and the mask of a satellite that I produced with a drawing program. This signifies the signal that we get in order to geocache.

satellitemask-1.jpg

Edited by scificollector

I sure hope so ;) I paid for tracking codes and an icon . . . It's on the edge

TMA

Thank you.

Re: stereogram, hold the stereogram right up to your face and focus straight ahead. Slowly move the picture straight out, and you should see the image pop out at you. It even worked on my phone, but I can't quite figure out, yet, what it is I'm looking at. :blink:

got it! As soon as I figured out how to stay focused on it, I had enough time to see it, before the phone went to sleep, LOL!

Now my eyes feel like this: :blink::blink: :blink:

Edit to add: I'm glad no one was watching me. I bet a few people are going to get funny looks at the office tomorrow!

Edited by Eartha

The second coin(Antique silver) also was made from a photo of some coins that I owned and a mask of a GPS unit (The mask is what appears when your eyes can focus on the 3D picture). This signifies the other half of what we need to get the third coins image.

GPSunit2-1.jpg

Wow - it took ages and ages for this one to completely pop out at me!! The screen area of it keep throwing my eyes off. :laughing:

The second coin(Antique silver) also was made from a photo of some coins that I owned and a mask of a GPS unit (The mask is what appears when your eyes can focus on the 3D picture). This signifies the other half of what we need to get the third coins image.

GPSunit2-1.jpg

Wow - it took ages and ages for this one to completely pop out at me!! The screen area of it keep throwing my eyes off. :laughing:

Should be easier with the coin in hand. :)

As steben6 asked to see what the third coin's image is, I think its time to run a Cointest. I said earlier that the coin's images are related. Given the choices for the first two images, what would be a logical choice for the third image? You may guess every 2 hours. Winner will receive their choice of any of the three versions of the coin.

Okay. Here is the photo and stereogram mask for the Antique Copper coin.

smiley-1.jpg

And here is the artwork submitted for AE edition of the coin. I will try to post photos of all of the coins when they get to me.

AEedition.jpg

The center ring is not actually blue but the top level Satin Silver of the coin. This coin has a different color scheme than the other coins and has translucent IHE color inbetween the colored circles. I'm anxious to see how it turned out.

******* COINTEST #2 *********

You may answer every 8 hours until the contest is over. This will be for one of the RE editions of the coin.

The previous cointest was relatively easy because of the prior two stereo-grams. This will be slightly harder as no clues were given.

What picture was chosen for the back of the AE coin?

Good luck!

Another picture of a cat!

Correct! Please send me your address and which version(Antique Copper, Antique Gold, or Antique Silver) that you would prefer.

Here is the stereo-gram for the AE version

BigCat-1.jpg

******* COINTEST #3 *********

You may answer every 4 hours until the contest is over. This will be for one of the AE editions of the coin.

In literature, a name was given Schrodinger's cat. What was that name?

I realize that there may be several correct answers to this question so all correct answers will be submitted for a random draw for the winner. Contest will cease when the specific name I have in mind is posted.

Good Luck!

Edited by scificollector

******* COINTEST #4 *********

You may answer every 4 hours until the contest is over. This will be for one of the RE editions of the coin.

If more versions of the coin are produced, what images would you like to see on the back of the coin?

Contest will run until Tuesday night 10pm CST when a random number generator will be used to select a winner.

Good Luck!

Could it be a smiley?

You are correct! I will run another cointest in a bit for an AE version of the coin. Please send me your address and which version you would like.

That's very cool! I needed to get home to my big screen in order to make my decision, but now I've written to your gmail address. Thanks for all the cointests!

Pixel

Correct!

You guys are too good at this! One AE version to t4e and when I get back from work I will randomly draw a number for a winner among the other answers.

woow now i can't say "i never win anything" lol

thank you so much, that will be a great addition to my collection :D

message with contact info sent

Edited by t4e

******* COINTEST #4 *********

You may answer every 4 hours until the contest is over. This will be for one of the RE editions of the coin.

If more versions of the coin are produced, what images would you like to see on the back of the coin?

Contest will run until Tuesday night 10pm CST when a random number generator will be used to select a winner.

Good Luck!

The reverse images I would quite like to see/think appropriate? - In relation to the original experiment, an appropriate logo such as a Geiger counter or Nuclear warning symbol (relating to the decay of the atom), or a different play on the cat - A cat with half masked away to show the two states or similar.

Sadly I could never get the hang of those images and get them to work for me :S Possibly a result of having horrible eyesight and needing glasses.

Ignoring my ability to see the reverse image, I absolutely love the idea of the coin, both as a comment on the mystery of whether any listed trackable is actually in a cache or not, and because I am a geek at heart and love the original thought experiment.

I have something in my mind... you may have to go up to 12 different coins, so that probably not so good... right? (I mean it is expensive!)

What I was thinking is... zodiac symbols!! can I go further?? :) Zodiac signs are seperated into 4 sections... Earth, water, fire, Air... right? So..they can have a special colour for each section... I mean for example.. all the ones under fire... to have the red colour.. all the water ones.. the blue...

on the other hand... maybe this goes too far and changed the main design? hmm.... well... if yes... maybe just the zodiac symbols are ok! :D