Geocaching in the hurricane?

Coldgears

I had plans to go geocaching at the Blue Hole in NJ this weekend. However, the hurricane is going to be hitting us that day. Last time a hurricane hit us was when I was 10 - 11 years old and I barely remember that.

I'm pretty sure this ruins my plans, as I'd rather not be a 4 - 5 mile hike into the NJ forest when the hurricane hits.

Is anyone else ruffing it out and geocaching in the 'cane? Or did you cancel your plans too?\

Also,last time the hurricane hit, the neshaminy creek (Which runs into the Delaware) was so high that it came all the way up to the stores. About 1000 feet longer. My cache I have hidden is 10 - 15 feet from the creek. Should I pick up the ammo box before the hurricane? I'm not worried about stuff getting wet, rather, it washing away down the creek...

I've sat through more hurricanes than I can count. They don't bother me anymore, but I still respect their destructive power.

Now, for geocaching, I generally won't go out and START caching in the rain. If I'm already out there and I get rained upon? Ah well. Wet now, might as well keep going. Keeps the bugs down, at least.

If you're anticipating that kind of flooding, you might want to disable your cache and go get the box until the storm passes. Of course, if you anticipate that kind of flooding, then you might question whether the cache is really at the top of your priority list.

Should I pick up the ammo box before the hurricane?

If your tether is strong, it'll be fine. A friend of mine has an ammo can hide tethered to a palm tree in a conservation area on the north shore of a local lake. During our last flood, just for kicks I entered the coords for it into the GPS/Depth Finder thingy on our patrol boat and motored right to it. When I parked the boat above ground zero, the depth read 5'. With that boat, you gotta add a bit as the transducer is mounted 2' under water. Once the water went away, the cache was fine.

Speaking for the midwest, I personally know several caches from SD, Iowa and Nebraska that will weather the flooding from this year from the Missouri River just fine.

Once they get found in Louisiana.....

Pull the cache and deactivate it for a few days. If you don't pull it, deactivate until you can check it after the storm. Why ask someone else to check out your cache and list a DNF or needs maintenance if you know it is already in danger.

I presume you are talking about "start a revolution".

That looks like its in the flood plain.

And the Neshaminy is nothing to fool around with ones the heavy rains start.

I am planning to go pick up my "along the towpath" container, if I can get the boat launched on Friday night or Saturday morning.

The cache container took me many hours of work to create and paint, and while it is above the normal flood zone, it is not above the high water mark. I don't want to lose it.

In its place I will hang a brightly colored bison tube tethered to a tree at GZ.

Not that I expect anyone to go out to find it in the storm, but I won't be able to launch the boat again until the river calms down again, but a kayak could get out there first.