? from U.S.

My wife and I are visiting in Sept, thought I'd buy UK map for my Nuvi 550, but it's $130! I'm thinking I might buy a handheld when I arrive and sell it on ebay when I return to the states. Does that make sense?

I recently traveled to Italy and purchased "City Navigator NT"MicroSD/SD Card for Italy/Greece for $69.99 for my Garmin Nuvi 255. When I went caching I just popped the micro card into my GPSmap 62st. Worked like a charm!

I checked the Garmin website and it says that the software is compatible with your Nuvi 550. Here is the link... https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=8424

Laurie ~ bugeye59

My wife and I are visiting in Sept, thought I'd buy UK map for my Nuvi 550, but it's $130! I'm thinking I might buy a handheld when I arrive and sell it on ebay when I return to the states. Does that make sense?

Not really, the chances are the handheld won't have the maps you want either. $130 is roughly £75 in our money, and from a quick check online you probably won't get much for that at all. You can get units within that kind of budget online but that then raises the question of whether you're staying long enough to deal with the time it takes to arrive and any issues if they send the wrong unit or a DOA unit. Depending on where you're staying you may also find that online retailers won't ship to a hotel or similar (it's an issue I've had a few times in the US).

I use the TalkyToaster maps someone already linked on my handheld but for routing (on a bicycle) they sometimes give routes that aren't particularly useful (like taking me on a 5-mile circuit to get home when the easier option is a mile in a straight line). I've never tried them in a car. That said they are free so the worst case is you give up on them and use an old fashioned paper map while you're here.

Edited by team tisri

I recently traveled to Italy and purchased "City Navigator NT"MicroSD/SD Card for Italy/Greece for $69.99 for my Garmin Nuvi 255. When I went caching I just popped the micro card into my GPSmap 62st. Worked like a charm!

I checked the Garmin website and it says that the software is compatible with your Nuvi 550. Here is the link... https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=8424

Laurie ~ bugeye59

I ordered it, looks like just the ticket, thanks. Many thanks to all the replies.

Edited by kkproperty

You don't have to buy a map card of course, the whole of the UK is mapped to an incredibly detailed level, showing every feature and footpath, by Ordnance Survey. You can pickup a paper map of the area you're in at any tourist office or newsagent. If you're using a device or pc to get your cache data, you can also see them online for free.