Looks like Texas is home to the first challenge power trail.

check out pelham, al. THey have three challenges in the same Park.

Including the one you created?

EDIT: My bad. Looks like you created at least two of those. So are you complaining about them or bragging, cause I can't tell.

DOUBLE EDIT: Okay they are all yours. Nice. I'm assuming that this is your way of protesting Challenges because they don't fit your particular aesthetic?

Edited by Castle Mischief

EDIT: My bad. Looks like you created at least two of those. So are you complaining about them or bragging, cause I can't tell.

DOUBLE EDIT: Okay they are all yours. Nice. I'm assuming that this is your way of protesting Challenges because they don't fit your particular aesthetic?

Yea I have created five all but two have been Archived. While I agree my first one should have been archived. The other two should not have been archived. Four of them go alon with the idea of what challenges are supposed to be. They might not be an awesome spot to go to but I still put challenges out there. One of my challenges was for someone to go to the park in question and take a picture of their self at the park holding a sign saying challenges are dumb. While you don't have to agree with the idea, it still was a challenge and a fun way for some to make fun of challenges. The other one was for people to go to the park and then use the bathroom there. That also got people to go to the park. The first one I had just said step out side and then log it as completed. Ill agree that one was over the line.

Too be honest I was just having fun with the challenges. Yes I was making fun of them but I was also allowing others to join in on their protest of them. Heck I do think some of my challenges were more creative than a park and grab. I also hope they made some people smile.

Yea I have created five all but two have been Archived. While I agree my first one should have been archived. The other two should not have been archived. Four of them go alon with the idea of what challenges are supposed to be. They might not be an awesome spot to go to but I still put challenges out there. One of my challenges was for someone to go to the park in question and take a picture of their self at the park holding a sign saying challenges are dumb. While you don't have to agree with the idea, it still was a challenge and a fun way for some to make fun of challenges. The other one was for people to go to the park and then use the bathroom there. That also got people to go to the park. The first one I had just said step out side and then log it as completed. Ill agree that one was over the line.

Too be honest I was just having fun with the challenges. Yes I was making fun of them but I was also allowing others to join in on their protest of them. Heck I do think some of my challenges were more creative than a park and grab. I also hope they made some people smile.

In this little park in Pelham they have a couple of Bathrooms. Since you are at a park you can not do the normal natural bathroom in the woods. So try out one of the facilities here. You get credit if you too can say I USED AN ALABAMA WATER CLOSET!!!

Use the bathroom to claim this "challenge"? Are you serious? This is what they brought virtuals back for? Dude...

Use the bathroom to claim this "challenge"? Are you serious? This is what they brought virtuals back for? Dude...
I think this is what the reviewers were complaining about having to fight when they were told that a virtual had to be "Wow" and people insisted that their virtual was "Wow". ((sigh))
I think this is what the reviewers were complaining about having to fight when they were told that a virtual had to be "Wow" and people insisted that their virtual was "Wow". ((sigh))

This whole peer review thing has really put things into perspective for me in regard to the apparent inability of a large portion of the population to read clear instructions placed before them. I suspect that there may have been some predictions from the Reviewers that this would happen.

How mature. Creating lame challenges isn't helping the situation. You're adding to the problem. Hopefully they'll all get archived.

Wow that was sorta of Brutal!!!

Whoops. Sorry. But I don't think making bad challenges to point out that challenges are bad will work. There must be a better way to protest them

I don't mind challenges though.

This whole peer review thing has really put things into perspective for me in regard to the apparent inability of a large portion of the population to read clear instructions placed before them. I suspect that there may have been some predictions from the Reviewers that this would happen.

I'll bet the reviewers are kicking back and laughing their collective asses off.

How mature. Creating lame challenges isn't helping the situation. You're adding to the problem. Hopefully they'll all get archived.

Brutal... perhaps. Spot-on... you betcha! If these are the ones that have not yet been flagged, I'd hate to see the ones that were.

Brutal... perhaps. Spot-on... you betcha! If these are the ones that have not yet been flagged, I'd hate to see the ones that were.

More like tough-love, actually.

"Thanks for participating, and creating a new challenge.

Too bad most everyone who looked at it thought it sucked."

Whoops. Sorry. But I don't think making bad challenges to point out that challenges are bad will work. There must be a better way to protest them

I don't mind challenges though.

We have a feedback system. Using Challenges to "protest" kind of goes against the entire spirit of Challenges and Geocaching. Light fun activity...? Not so much.

Is this a 'photo challenge'? Do I need to provide a picture? :unsure:

At least we aren't being asked to sign the log. :ph34r:

I guess it isn't a Star Trek challenge, anyway. You aren't being asked to go where no man has gone before.

More like tough-love, actually.

"Thanks for participating, and creating a new challenge.

Too bad most everyone who looked at it thought it sucked."

My, my. For now I think TPTB are leaving the guidelines for challenges a little vague. I'm guess they expect some geocachers will push some limits. Even when there are clear guidelines for geocaches, people push limits. "My caches isn't really buried", "My cache is next to a school but there's a reason you should approve it anyway", "Sure my caches in in the restroom, there's no guideline that says it can't be".

I think people who are now submitting challenges that push limits are doing a service. This will lead to a discussion of what guidelines there should be and when people should flag challenges. I'd like to see more of these so a community standard gets developed rather than having rules forced on us from the outside. I'd like to get more of an idea of what should be flagged inappropriate and what should just get lots of thumbs down so people will know this is a silly or unappealing challenge. I say bring on more examples. Let's test the waters and see what is acceptable. :ph34r:

The difference was however that back at the time of the virtuals if someone tried to get such a virtual through it was not meant as a protest and making fun about a concept.

I have encountered a challenge in Vienna that requires one to visit a (specific) toilette and that indeed was meant to make fun of challenges and to demonstrate what the creator and many others think about challenges (they told about their idea in some local forum, so I'am not speculating).

Cezanne

We have a feedback system. Using Challenges to "protest" kind of goes against the entire spirit of Challenges and Geocaching. Light fun activity...? Not so much.

I agree only to some extent. Challenges like the Kiss a frog one (which later has been archived) are so stupid in the eyes of many cachers that they started to think about how they could come up with stupid challenges themselves. (The difference is just that Groundspeak was serious with the Kiss a frog challenge while the challenges of the type mentioned above are intended as parody). Most cachers coming up with such challenges have never asked for the return of virtuals. So do not expect them to come up with something people liking virtuals would enjoy.

As "light fun activity" is regarded, I do not like this term. It is very subjective. The "Be a kind again" challenge leaves me with a a feeling of sadness and frustration (for personal reasons). What I want to say with that statement is that one's fun and happyness, might well be someone else's anger, unhappyness etc.

I am sure that more local cachers regard the toilet challenge in Vienna as funny (as reaction to the way challenges have been set up) than the kiss a frog challenge.

cezanne

I agree only to some extent. Challenges like the Kiss a frog one (which later has been archived) are so stupid in the eyes of many cachers that they started to think about how they could come up with stupid challenges themselves. (The difference is just that Groundspeak was serious with the Kiss a frog challenge while the challenges of the type mentioned above are intended as parody). Most cachers coming up with such challenges have never asked for the return of virtuals. So do not expect them to come up with something people liking virtuals would enjoy.

As "light fun activity" is regarded, I do not like this term. It is very subjective. The "Be a kind again" challenge leaves me with a a feeling of sadness and frustration (for personal reasons). What I want to say with that statement is that one's fun and happyness, might well be someone else's anger, unhappyness etc.

I am sure that more local cachers regard the toilet challenge in Vienna as funny (as reaction to the way challenges have been set up) than the kiss a frog challenge.

cezanne

What you call "parody" I call infantile.

I guess it isn't a Star Trek challenge, anyway. You aren't being asked to go where no man has gone before.

Or get a photo of yourself wiping out Klingons. :yikes:

As opposed to wiping... well, yeah.

Sorry Ash, but that's just plain lame.

The good part is that we don't need rules or community standards. Folks are free to create whatever Challenges they like.

The rest of us are free to vote them up or down as our individual perception of them dictates.

Geocaches, because of their physical properties, will always need guidelines and Reviewers. Challenges and other non-physical types lend themselves nicely to community evaluation. Sure, you will see silly Challenges posted, but as soon as they come to the community's attention they will be killed. This, I suspect, is why Groundspeak encourages everyone to look at and vote on them whether they are local or not.

You hear "How do I become a Reviewer" pretty often... here's your chance! For Challenges you ARE the Reviewer!

I have not issued such a challenge and never would do so. I would not come along however with the idea for a Kiss a frog challenge either. I am sorry to say, but I regard the kiss a frog challenge as infantile as well.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Challenges and other non-physical types lend themselves nicely to community evaluation. Sure, you will see silly Challenges posted, but as soon as they come to the community's attention they will be killed.

I think that this system will also kill ideas that only appeal to a minority. If such a system were used for Earthcaches, you could be sure that the photo requirement would still exist and that there would be no mandatory requirement for educational tasks. In particular, those ECs with more difficult questions and a longer write up where the geology is the key point and not the wow factor would end up with many bad evaluations.

Most of my caches and also my virtual cache have been depevelopped with the idea to appeal to a minority. The majority of the logs I get show me that I have met my objective to offer something the group to which I targeted my caches enjoys. Already when developping my caches, I am aware of the fact that the way I set up my caches they are well suited for at most 5% of the local cachers - if I intended to address a larger audience, I would do them in an entirely different way.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Sorry Ash, but that's just plain lame.

I thought you were the defender of everything lame? B)

Wrong you are NOT funny nor having "FUN," you were being destructive and a trying to wreck the project.... please stop and grow up! SERIOUS, you and all the other like people doing the works of jerks! Please already! If you ain't no jerk, why do the work of one?

Edited by Frank Broughton

Wrong you are NOT funny nor having "FUN," you were being destructive and a trying to wreck the project.... please stop and grow up! SERIOUS, you and all the other like people doing the works of jerks! Please already! If you ain't no jerk, why do the work of one?

How did I destroy Challenges? They are still there, people vote them down. I have two that are still alive that I am sure someone will vote down.

No one has to do my challenges. I have seen some people make fun of lamp skirts by putting one out that makes fun of lamp skirts. I have seen some take the idea of a power trail and when you go to get them they are all hidden very well and take away the big number in a short time. Thanks for calling me a jerk. I appreciate that. According to your website, you have a fond love of America, I do as well. One thing I like is the ability to disagree on things. Honestly I have seen some good challenges. Heck one of mine pushes people to get in shape. I am currently trying to complete that challenge. Rule #1 Cardio. My first three I made were in response to the kiss a frog challenge as well as other things that would count toward the find count. Since they have taken that out I have calmed down on my challenges but I still plan to put out a few more that make you do weird or crazy things. I still will push to have people go toward a park in the area where I live. I might have them go other places in the area.

How did I destroy Challenges? They are still there, people vote them down. I have two that are still alive that I am sure someone will vote down.

No one has to do my challenges. I have seen some people make fun of lamp skirts by putting one out that makes fun of lamp skirts. I have seen some take the idea of a power trail and when you go to get them they are all hidden very well and take away the big number in a short time. Thanks for calling me a jerk. I appreciate that. According to your website, you have a fond love of America, I do as well. One thing I like is the ability to disagree on things. Honestly I have seen some good challenges. Heck one of mine pushes people to get in shape. I am currently trying to complete that challenge. Rule #1 Cardio. My first three I made were in response to the kiss a frog challenge as well as other things that would count toward the find count. Since they have taken that out I have calmed down on my challenges but I still plan to put out a few more that make you do weird or crazy things. I still will push to have people go toward a park in the area where I live. I might have them go other places in the area.

First, thank you for you kind words in your PM. Now then, I purposely did not call YOU a jerk. I called what many are doing, not just you, a work of a jerk. I asked, if you are no jerk why do the work of one. I did not call you a jerk. I just asked if you were... I guess I am just a wee bit - hmmmm (looking for the right word) not upset, not angry, perturbed naw, perhaps saddened that some peoples of this great hobby of ours is going out of their way to make challenges not work and I am just being over righteous (for lack of a better word here too) I am sure the dog man will help me out.

I have not issued such a challenge and never would do so. I would not come along however with the idea for a Kiss a frog challenge either. I am sorry to say, but I regard the kiss a frog challenge as infantile as well.

Cezanne

Hey, guess what. It was archived too! Yay for progress and the peer review system. Now, what was your point again? I don't recall holding up the "Kiss A Frog" as the penultimate example of an awesome Challenge concept. I also never suggested that you would list such a Challenge.

So, did these get archived? Just wondering b/c they were all created again...cx18ff and others. What I find interesting is that as I was looking at them and the profile of the guy who created them, he deleted his 'created by ...' comment on each of the challenges. Guessing these are in 'protest' of the challenges and he wanted to remain anonymous. I just don't see the point! And, I don't even know how I would vote on it. How specific do the coordinates have to be? Oh, well, doesn't really matter and doesn't affect me. Just found it curious and knew I'd read a thread on these already.

So, did these get archived? Just wondering b/c they were all created again...cx18ff and others. What I find interesting is that as I was looking at them and the profile of the guy who created them, he deleted his 'created by ...' comment on each of the challenges. Guessing these are in 'protest' of the challenges and he wanted to remain anonymous. I just don't see the point! And, I don't even know how I would vote on it. How specific do the coordinates have to be? Oh, well, doesn't really matter and doesn't affect me. Just found it curious and knew I'd read a thread on these already.

I'm pretty sure "within the city limits" is not specific enough.

EDIT: cx18ff looks to be archived.

I'm pretty sure "within the city limits" is not specific enough.

EDIT: cx18ff looks to be archived.

That's what I thought, too. And, I think most of them were archived, though I wouldn't be surprised if he created a 3rd set of challenges.