GPX Spinner 2 released!!

Lil Devil

OK, I think I understand now.

I have been downloading caches into EasyGPS for a couple days now, but never just saved the file seperately. I'll have to experiment alittle more. But, for the most part I find EasyGPS does what I need it to. What exactly does spinner do that EasyGPS doesnt?

quote:
Originally posted by jtice:

What exactly does spinner do that EasyGPS doesn't?

EasyGPS only uploads and downloads the cache icons to/from your GPS receiver.

Spinner customizes the data in the GPX file. Then when you use EasyGPS to upload it to your GPS, you'll have custom icons for the different cache types, a more meaningful name for the caches, and a meaningful description if your GPS unit supports descriptions. Take a look at the GPX Spinner home page for a more detailed list of features.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

Is anyone using it with a Meridian? What are the waypoint allowed characters? So far I've only figured out the waypoint size, 8.

To determine the allowed chars, do this: On your GPS receiver, create a waypoint at your current location. Press whatever buttons to edit the waypoint name. Now you probably have some sort of on-screen keyboard for entering the name. What characters are listed (other than letters and numbers)? Is there a 'shift' key (on-screen) that enables more characters? Once you determine all the allowed characters, you can enter them into the GPS Spinner.ini file.

quote:
Does the Meridian have a waypoint description, how big and what allowed characters?
I don't know about the Meridian specifically, but on some GPS units, there is another box below the waypoint name and coords that shows the description, on other units (such as the GPS V), you have to press MENU and select DESCRIPTION when viewing/editing a waypoint.

quote:
I saw mention of image files not working. When I copy the cache folder over to my card reader none of the images work. I have an iPaq PPC with IE.
You also need to copy the 'images' folder from your GPX Spinner directory.

Now that I think about it, I designed it to work with Plucker/iSilo. The relative path to the images directory may not work in your case. If not, please email me directly and I'll help you figure out how to make it work.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dave&Michelle:

Nevermind, I figured it out myself. I just edited all the template files, replacing %imagepath% with my own path ("../images"). Thanks for releasing this; saves me from learning Perl to write my own version.

--Dave

OK, I'm trying to get this to work on my iPaq.

Maybe I'm not matching what you have done. I'm loading it to my storage card. The cache file and the images file on the same card. So they should have the same directory address.

Did you load them to your main memory?

I changed the %imagepath% with %../images%. Did I not include enough "." in front of /images? I don't know how to determine the file path in a PPC.

Maybe I'm not changing all the template files correctly. I'm only changing a couple of them to experiment.

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!

ok

Now I've tried the directory change out to "%../../../../images%".

I can't get it to display images on the storage card.

The only reason I want to load to the card, is so I can load from computers that aren't loaded with the Active sync software.

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!

Well I didn't get the images to work on the memory card.

That's fine. I love the program. The browser base on the PDA is awesome. I won't miss the images. They were only a few icons for the cache type anyway. The box that appears in the place of the icon says what it is anyway.

The main reason I use it is to rename the waypoints for Easy GPS. I hate the GCxxxx waypoints. I also hated the interface for the MobiPocket. This is a great web page linked format.

Thanks for the great program!

39197_2700.jpg

Mokita!

Are you required to be a premium member of Geocaching to get Spinner to work. Spinner is telling me that my GPX files created from EasyGPS are invaild. I download a Cache from Geocache and do a save as from EasyGPS to create the GPX file and Spinner won't accept that. Thanks for any help Ryan