Tired of stupid logging

Resisting the urge to pile on to negativity - I often do leave more than a line in a notebook which has been left in a cache, but when someone leaves a medium or large cache with a nano-size log, I'm, well .. unimpressed. Couldn't get down to Target or Wally World or K-mart or even one of the big box Office-O-Ramas for a few note pads? Why bother placing a cache at all?

When it comes to logging on GC.com I usually have something to say and in great locations I'll dump some pix (which really tells you I liked the spot because going through all the *%#@ to load, edit and post pictures is a lot of work!) As example: GC17 and not just because it's one of those great old classics, it's a great hike and a great view.

I have based my logs on most the ones i have read. Most of them are one or 2 liners. I just figured the cache owners didn't like the long posts. I would much rather discribe my hunt and finds. Most time i am searching with my wife and 3 year old daughter. I am glad this post was put up because now i will not feel bad leaving a long post.

You know, it really isn't about the length of the logs as much as it is about the nature of the post. Short posts can still encourage the hiders and thank them for hiding it. Lengthy posts can be written that are totally egotistical and don't give the hider a bit of warm fuzzy.

See if you can spot the differences:

"Great spot, thanks for bringing me here!"

"Had fun! Thanks!"

"Out caching with supercacher today. Find 5 of 98."

"Found"

"Out caching with supercacher today. Find 6 of 98."

"Awesome hide!"

"Out caching with supercacher today. Find 7 of 98. Nice hide."

"I am on a quest to fill out my chart of difficulty/terrain ratings and to maintain my streak which is now up to 27 days in a row."

""

"Dumbstruck!"

"Best in months."

Get my drift? Longer isn't always better.

As a beginner, this topic has actually made me think a little more about my first log and how I will make other logs as I find caches.

I guess it depends if you want to know the stories of how people found the cache and the adventures they had hunting it, or if you just want to know that it's been found and by how many people.

Maybe this could be easily sorted by a simple comment in the description indicating your preference. It could be as simple as "Look forward to hearing about your adventures hunting this cache." or something like that. *shrugs*

Just a newbies two cents. ;)

Does anyone else get tired of someone signing a log and either not thanking the owner for putting the cache out or wanting to put something that is obvious. I saw one finder that puts down the word Found. I think that is brilliant since we already have a smiley to reflect that. How hard is it to put in at least a TFTC. (Thanks for the cache). I understand not writing out a 2 page essay on why a park and grab was a wonderful hide. But at least something for the effort of the hider. I saw one person who decided to put brag about this being a FTF. I just wonder if anyone else gets frustrated at some of the logging. I can understand a newbie who has less then 200 finds. but if you have more than that you need to have some etiquette on finding and logging. I would say humble opinion but that would be a lie. I will just say this is my opinion.

Ash

Sometimes a cache isn't worth encouraging a CO with a thanks.

I understand that they cant all be great, but way to many appear to have no effort put into them.

Currently I have three levels of effort.

1. I sign the log.

2. I sign the log and write something about the experience on the log.

3. I sign the log, write something about the experience on the log, then try to email the CO about my appreciation.

Every cache may seem to be a gift but not every cache is a gift worth receiving. To many times I have gone after a 3/3 or harder and felt cheated out of my time by the 1.5/1 that turns out not to be a throw down.

As a beginner, this topic has actually made me think a little more about my first log and how I will make other logs as I find caches.

I guess it depends if you want to know the stories of how people found the cache and the adventures they had hunting it, or if you just want to know that it's been found and by how many people.

Maybe this could be easily sorted by a simple comment in the description indicating your preference. It could be as simple as "Look forward to hearing about your adventures hunting this cache." or something like that. *shrugs*

Well, a cache owner could write their preference on the cache description, but it doesn't mean that the finders will actually follow up with it. :)

Actually, sometimes the less said IS better. There have been quite a few caches I have hunted which were placed in areas such as: a dumpster behind a restaurant, a trash strewn hillside littered with glass, an electrical box on a busy street, an active camp for a homeless person, and a guardrail in crack alley.

To me, these are not fun, they are not interesting, and they do not deserve anything more than a TFTC. The only people that they might interest are those simply looking to bump their find numbers.

Trust me, if I DO write more than TFTC for a cache such as these...you might not like what I have to say. I will be writing more elaborately merely to WARN other cachers of dangerous conditions.

As a new cacher, just follow your gut. If the cache was fun and you had a wonderful adventure finding it, it's actually for YOUR benefit to write about it, because someday you might want to go back through your logs and remind yourself of some great times. If you don't write much more than TFTC on a great adventure, then both you and the CO will miss out on some good smiles.

Now, if you didn't like the experience, you can write about that too...nicely...or just stick with the TFTC...and leave it at that.

It is the smart phone. Have you ever tried typing an elaborate log in with the i-Phone? On an Android, you have "Swipe" but it sill hard to do without constantly correcting typos....

Basically, it is old school vs. newbies...

This hasn't been my experience. I log all my caches, upload pictures and create caches all with my Android.

I think it's the computer loggers. They forget about the hunt and cache by the time they get home to log. :)

Also, I'm not a newb and I still use my smartphone for many caching tasks.

Editto add: PS all my forum posts are from my HTC Thunderbolt.

Just because you *can* post an online log with a smartphone doesn't mean you *must* use your smart phone to post a log. I occasionally use my iPhone to find a cache but I very rarely post a log in the field and prefer to wait until I can get to a computer with internet access to log it. I deal with forgetting about the hunt and the cache by trying to avoid forgettable caches.

I understand that they cant all be great, but way to many appear to have no effort put into them.

1. I sign the log.

3. I sign the log, write something about the experience on the log, then try to email the CO about my appreciation.

Every cache may seem to be a gift but not every cache is a gift worth receiving. To many times I have gone after a 3/3 or harder and felt cheated out of my time by the 1.5/1 that turns out not to be a throw down.

I'm curious... what is the level of effort you put into your hides? Do you have this attitude because you don't put much effort in, so don't expect much or is it because you put a lot of effort in and have disdain for those that don't?

If you put a cigar/film can/matchstick/pill bottle/or mag.hide a key inside a guardrail, lamppost, in someplace that makes me mad that I traveled to find it....then rest assured I'll put as much thought into the log as the CO must have put into the cache. None.
While I don't necessarily disagree with your logic, I am concerned about your getting mad. If it makes you mad, why bother getting out and signing the log? Is it really worth it if it makes you mad?
I rarely find someone who is qualified to say they are not a newb actually saying it. :ph34r:
Just because you're a cacher doesn't make you courteous.
Trying to be courteous is the right thing to do, and to hide behind "I'm not courteous because I don't have to be" is a very poor attitude to take if you plan on getting along with others.

Actually, sometimes the less said IS better. There have been quite a few caches I have hunted which were placed in areas such as: a dumpster behind a restaurant, a trash strewn hillside littered with glass, an electrical box on a busy street, an active camp for a homeless person, and a guardrail in crack alley.

To me, these are not fun, they are not interesting, and they do not deserve anything more than a TFTC. The only people that they might interest are those simply looking to bump their find numbers.

Of course, you walked away from those, didn't you? Surely you would not have stuck around long enough to make the find and collect your smily!

Of course, you walked away from those, didn't you? Surely you would not have stuck around long enough to make the find and collect your smily!

Oh of COURSE I grabbed the smiley...but my log reflected that it sucked. If I spent the time to hunt it, I'm not going to leave it go based on principle. That's just silly.

Oh of COURSE I grabbed the smiley...but my log reflected that it sucked. If I spent the time to hunt it, I'm not going to leave it go based on principle. That's just silly.

My point is... why did you spend the time to hunt it? You didn't realize until after you found it that it was on a guardrail in a crack alley?

If you put requirements or suggestions on a caches logging it would probably be met with a lot of negativity and get the opposite of the request in many situations.

As far as logging, this beginner says log what you feel.......or be nice and if you feel nothing say something about the weather along with the thanks. Or how looking for this lame cache was still better than watching reruns of Judge Judy. :D

Here are a few examples of my logs when the cache is

Unsafe

Awesome

Amazing with pics even!

guardrail

These are typical logs for me. If it's unsafe or dangerous..I'll leave a good paragraph letting others know.

If it's a great cache, I'll write at least a few lines and thank the CO.

If it's an amazing cache, I'll include pictures with a paragraph or two.

If the cache is just a guardrail..oh well..it gets a "tftc!".

Rule of thumb for me is, if you want me to leave more than four letters, then you have to leave me more than a film container in a guardrail. Period. I don't know why that's so hard for some people to understand. It's common sense.

If you put a cigar/film can/matchstick/pill bottle/or mag.hide a key inside a guardrail, lamppost, in someplace that makes me mad that I traveled to find it....then rest assured I'll put as much thought into the log as the CO must have put into the cache. None.
While I don't necessarily disagree with your logic, I am concerned about your getting mad. If it makes you mad, why bother getting out and signing the log? Is it really worth it if it makes you mad?
I rarely find someone who is qualified to say they are not a newb actually saying it. :ph34r:
Trying to be courteous is the right thing to do, and to hide behind "I'm not courteous because I don't have to be" is a very poor attitude to take if you plan on getting along with others.

I agree it's a poor attitude, but some people just have bad attitudes. Caching isn't going to change them, is what I was trying to point out. :blink: I used to get a little bummed about the blank logs,but now I don't worry about the little things. I place caches so people will get off the couch and go somewhere. I don't place caches for a pat on the back. I do appreciate a nice log though.

I agree it's a poor attitude, but some people just have bad attitudes. Caching isn't going to change them, is what I was trying to point out. :blink: I used to get a little bummed about the blank logs,but now I don't worry about the little things. I place caches so people will get off the couch and go somewhere. I don't place caches for a pat on the back. I do appreciate a nice log though.

Geocaching wouldn't exist, if not for a community of people hiding geocaches for others to find. I find it odd that someone with a "I'm not courteous because I don't have to be" attitude would choose to play a game that depends upon the courtesy of others for the game to exist. Not only is it a poor attitude but it's an extremely selfish attitude as well.

My point is... why did you spend the time to hunt it? You didn't realize until after you found it that it was on a guardrail in a crack alley?

And MY point is...Whether I may or may not have realized that it was in "crack alley" is irrelevant.

It shouldn't have been selected as a cache site in the first place IF the cache owner wants more than a "tftc."

Geocaching wouldn't exist, if not for a community of people hiding geocaches for others to find. I find it odd that someone with a "I'm not courteous because I don't have to be" attitude would choose to play a game that depends upon the courtesy of others for the game to exist. Not only is it a poor attitude but it's an extremely selfish attitude as well.

I think expecting a nice log is an extremely selfish attitude as well. :ph34r:

To COs, if you are basing your opinion of logs by the e-mails you get, it might be a good idea (say a couple days after seeing a short log on a good cache) to double check the cache page and see if the user edited the log and added more details. That's one thing I know I've heard of smartphone users doing, since at times it can be hard to write long logs on a smartphone.

While I now use a smartphone for Geocaching, I don't do my logs in the field. Not even sure my program can do that, but I wouldn't want to anyways. I write my logs when I get back to my computer. I may write notes on my smartphone about caches I visited though. Fortunately for me my GPS program doesn't have the limitations that the iPhone one appears to have. But then it's also not doing live searches. It uses data from .loc/.gpx files that I load onto it, much like a regular GPSr. It shows all caches loaded into it on one list, which I can sort by distance if I have a fix. Found caches are highlighted in green. DNFs are highlighted in red. If I want to delete caches I've found, I can do that. Mostly I don't bother since most of the early caches I found are not loaded on it.

The only thing I can suggest to you is to try and put some thought behind your hide if you want the finder to relate their experience. I mean really...how much excitement and wonder can you write about a guardrail? B)

You might be surprised.

Had some technical issues to overcome on this one, I downloaded .loc files in bulk, plus had a hand-edited file with the parking coordinates, and converted them to various formats via GPSBabel, and I had it set to filter out duplicates. I apparently ended up with just the parking coordinates on the Nuvi and my smartphone. Tried entering coordinates manually on my smartphone exactly as shown on the site, but BasicGPS kept complaining about how I was formatting the coordinates, so I ended up putting them into the Nuvi and using that. (I've since managed to get the right coordinates entered in BasicGPS.)

Was an easy find once I had the coordinates on the GPS. Will try and find a bigger home for the Puppy Pound geocoin.

Took geocoin, left nothing, signed log book.

Just had to post this when I saw that comment. :) It seems I forgot to put the TFTC that I usually tack onto my logs though. I usually have that and TNLNSL in the clipboard to paste after writing a log. This time I was kind of rushed and wasn't using the pasted TNLNSL for obvious reasons. (That particular cache taught my something about entering coordinates into BasicGPS. That program is so picky that "w" won't work in place of "W" for some reason. :P )

Edited by EdrickV

To COs, if you are basing your opinion of logs by the e-mails you get, it might be a good idea (say a couple days after seeing a short log on a good cache) to double check the cache page and see if the user edited the log and added more details. That's one thing I know I've heard of smartphone users doing, since at times it can be hard to write long logs on a smartphone.

I have a 127 active caches. If you are hiking in the mountains and find on of them, I'll read your email when you post it. I simply don't have the time to follow up. It would be nice if GS sent me a notice that you edited your log, or posted a photo.

Edited by Don_J

It's not the finders fault that you don't have time to follow up on your cache pages. If good logs is something that is so important to you and that you place so much value on then I would think you would find the time to see f those short logs changed.

I personally don't leave short logs for the most part unless the cache was super unimpressive in the end. So I'm not trying to excuse bad behavior on my part. But I do have a problem with someone saying they don't have time to peruse the logs on their caches once in awhile when that is something they value.

1. I sign the log.

I'm curious... what is the level of effort you put into your hides? Do you have this attitude because you don't put much effort in, so don't expect much or is it because you put a lot of effort in and have disdain for those that don't?

I put effort into my caches, but here is the deal.

I don't expect anything from a finder other than:

Sign the log if you want to claim the find online. I do not expect an online claim.

Properly close the container.

Place the container back in its original position.

Do not change the hide.

I don't expect others to put effort into their hides as long as they don't expect effort from me beyond what I expect with my hides, but the more enjoyable the experience the more effort I put fourth.

Well, a cache owner could write their preference on the cache description, but it doesn't mean that the finders will actually follow up with it. :)

Trust me, if I DO write more than TFTC for a cache such as these...you might not like what I have to say. I will be writing more elaborately merely to WARN other cachers of dangerous conditions.

As a new cacher, just follow your gut. If the cache was fun and you had a wonderful adventure finding it, it's actually for YOUR benefit to write about it, because someday you might want to go back through your logs and remind yourself of some great times. If you don't write much more than TFTC on a great adventure, then both you and the CO will miss out on some good smiles.

Now, if you didn't like the experience, you can write about that too...nicely...or just stick with the TFTC...and leave it at that.

I personally would prefer that you post a note warning the rest of us. After going to two dangerous homeless hide outs and getting human feces on us, we sure would have appreciated the previous finders giving us a warning that all is not well. I want to know if you found broken bottles, if it is a crack hang out, etc. Then, I won't take the kids nor myself for that matter.

I personally would prefer that you post a note warning the rest of us. After going to two dangerous homeless hide outs and getting human feces on us, we sure would have appreciated the previous finders giving us a warning that all is not well. I want to know if you found broken bottles, if it is a crack hang out, etc. Then, I won't take the kids nor myself for that matter.

That's why I get aggravated sometimes when someone just doesn't put enough thought into where they place things. I get concerned about kids who may be brought to these places or visitors from out of town who may not know the area. To the owners credit though, he archived the cache after getting a few negative logs.

Homeless Camp

And MY point is...Whether I may or may not have realized that it was in "crack alley" is irrelevant.

It shouldn't have been selected as a cache site in the first place IF the cache owner wants more than a "tftc."

Some people consider a mountain climb to be an adrenaline rush, others perhaps consider going to a "crack alley" to be the same. If you find yourself in a situation like that, leave. Don't stick around, find the cache, and post some lame log because of it. You have only yourself to blame for your bad experience.

If you (or anyone) are going to log like that, then at least delete your original (blank or "TFTC") log and re-enter your new one. The cache owner doesn't get notifications of edits, and few cache owners browse the logs on their own cache pages on a regular basis.

I put effort into my caches, but here is the deal.

I don't expect anything from a finder other than:

Sign the log if you want to claim the find online. I do not expect an online claim.

Properly close the container.

Place the container back in its original position.

Do not change the hide.

I don't expect others to put effort into their hides as long as they don't expect effort from me beyond what I expect with my hides, but the more enjoyable the experience the more effort I put fourth.

OK, fine. But you are a rare individual in that respect, then. But if everybody had your attitude, I don't think geocaching would have existed for as long as it has.

If you (or anyone) are going to log like that, then at least delete your original (blank or "TFTC") log and re-enter your new one. The cache owner doesn't get notifications of edits, and few cache owners browse the logs on their own cache pages on a regular basis.

Mmmmmmmmmmm. This is interesting. I never just post tftc or anything like that nor do I post blank logs from my smartphone but I always go online and edit my logs because I can't put in everything on the phone. It is just too time consuming. I hope the cache owners will see the edited log. I guess we need to request that the COs get edited log notices.

Some people consider a mountain climb to be an adrenaline rush, others perhaps consider going to a "crack alley" to be the same. If you find yourself in a situation like that, leave. Don't stick around, find the cache, and post some lame log because of it. You have only yourself to blame for your bad experience.

Oh sure, I'm sure there are some folks out there that get their kicks going to crack alley at night. They get an even bigger rush when they run out at 2am with their toddler in tow to be the FTF.

I'm not unlike anyone else. I will hunt it if it pops up regardless of where it is. If it sucks I'll still write about how much it sucks to warn others or I'll give it the four finger salute. tftc.

hmmmz can i stop holding my breath now, its been 3 months already?

and this is just one example

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=637d2f5a-09fb-4cdc-9b58-3a5dc9de31f6

i was seriously tempted to delete the log and say..."deleted from my PC using an Acer Mouse"

I know I have already stated this, but I certainly prefer informative logs rather than the tftc which taken at face value does not tell me it is at a crack alley. I, for one, do not get a "rush" from such experiences.

If it's an unsafe cache by my standards (and not those of knowschad obviously)I will write a full log mentioning the unsafe conditions to warn others.

On one particular cache I wrote, "Didn't have any problem with figuring the coord's. Found the final cache in less than 10 minutes. The area definitely needs a CITO though. It's a shame that a pretty place can get trashed like that.TFTC" The area was littered with garbage and broken glass everywhere.

THAT one was in a supposedly safe area. There were a dozen other places that they could have hidden the micro, but they chose a big cinder block in the middle of garbage. In any case, I didn't want someone with a child hunting this cache clueless. I'm a concerned parent first and a geocacher second.

If on the other hand, it's not dangerous but just boring or lame...the four finger salute will do. Lame cache, lame log. Sorry, I'll let someone else get all mushy gushy over the wallyworld hides.

hmmmz can i stop holding my breath now, its been 3 months already?

and this is just one example

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=637d2f5a-09fb-4cdc-9b58-3a5dc9de31f6

i was seriously tempted to delete the log and say..."deleted from my PC using an Acer Mouse"

For that particular person, I blame using a smartphone for field logging. I think all his logs are signed like that now, regardless of what the cache is like. (He used to write slightly better logs.) As far as deleting it though, that would have the potential to get you in trouble with TPTB. They've already said that blank logs are allowable.

I log as I go on my smartphone, mostly keeping it reasonably short depending upon time and then when I get home I edit my log and add details, add photos, or what-have-you. I used to take notes in a notebook and log when I got home, but with my discovery of the phone app for geocaching, I find log as you go and update details at home really works for me. I do the same for logging TBs' quite often adding photos and detail at home when I have more time.

For that particular person, I blame using a smartphone for field logging. I think all his logs are signed like that now, regardless of what the cache is like. (He used to write slightly better logs.) As far as deleting it though, that would have the potential to get you in trouble with TPTB. They've already said that blank logs are allowable.

i don't know about better logs lol...all i got on another good hide was "kewl"

and for deleting a log, i was just kidding, i don't care, its their history...looking back at that log a year from now it will do a great job at reminding them of what/where the cache was

here's another good one, seriously that's a fun and challenging cache and they can't remember it lmao.....clear sign that not only they just tagged along for the log signing they haven't even paid attention to the cacher that solved it all lol....afaic its their loss

You can't MacGyver this one!

I know I have already stated this, but I certainly prefer informative logs rather than the tftc which taken at face value does not tell me it is at a crack alley. I, for one, do not get a "rush" from such experiences.

Of course not. Neither do I. That's why I'd leave and forget about the smiley if I found myself in that situation.

If it's an unsafe cache by my standards (and not those of knowschad obviously)I will write a full log mentioning the unsafe conditions to warn others.

On one particular cache I wrote, "Didn't have any problem with figuring the coord's. Found the final cache in less than 10 minutes. The area definitely needs a CITO though. It's a shame that a pretty place can get trashed like that.TFTC" The area was littered with garbage and broken glass everywhere.

THAT one was in a supposedly safe area. There were a dozen other places that they could have hidden the micro, but they chose a big cinder block in the middle of garbage. In any case, I didn't want someone with a child hunting this cache clueless. I'm a concerned parent first and a geocacher second.

If on the other hand, it's not dangerous but just boring or lame...the four finger salute will do. Lame cache, lame log. Sorry, I'll let someone else get all mushy gushy over the wallyworld hides.

You are either misunderstanding me, or putting words in my mouth. What I am saying is that, if the cache is good enough for you to stick around and find and claim a smiley for, then its good enough for you to thank the hider. If not... just leave. If you feel the need to warn future cachers about a bad situation, you can do that with your DNF or a note.

You are either misunderstanding me, or putting words in my mouth. What I am saying is that, if the cache is good enough for you to stick around and find and claim a smiley for, then its good enough for you to thank the hider. If not... just leave. If you feel the need to warn future cachers about a bad situation, you can do that with your DNF or a note.

Chad, I'm going to say this nice and slow....I-DO-THANK-THEM with a minimum of a tiny "tftc." No more, no less on on some hides. On unsafe hides, they will get a full log outline of what I think makes the cache unsafe but they'll still get the "tftc" at the end. There is not a post anywhere where I have stated that I refuse to even thank them for the smiley. If I found it, I'll thank them, but I'm not going to talk about a cache at wallyworld like I would a cache in the woods for cripes sake.

This thread was started by someone who felt that geocachers should always leave a nice little paragraph on their logs intead of a simple "found it" or "tftc". The issue was never about whether you should or shouldn't CLAIM A FIND on a cache that sucks. This issue is whether the finder is obligated to leave MORE than a four letter word of thanks. My point has always been that there are SOME cases in which a cache really doesn't warrant a paragraph to expand upon their experience unless it's been a completely positive one or a really negative one.

The OP solicited opinions on what the rest of the geocaching community thought about his issue and I gave my opinion on how I play the game. If it's not how you play...so be it. Feel free to write your little heart out. I'm not ripping on you. It's not my concern.

Chad, I'm going to say this nice and slow....I-DO-THANK-THEM with a minimum of a tiny "tftc." No more, no less on on some hides. On unsafe hides, they will get a full log outline of what I think makes the cache unsafe but they'll still get the "tftc" at the end. There is not a post anywhere where I have stated that I refuse to even thank them for the smiley. If I found it, I'll thank them, but I'm not going to talk about a cache at wallyworld like I would a cache in the woods for cripes sake.

This thread was started by someone who felt that geocachers should always leave a nice little paragraph on their logs intead of a simple "found it" or "tftc". The issue was never about whether you should or shouldn't CLAIM A FIND on a cache that sucks. This issue is whether the finder is obligated to leave MORE than a four letter word of thanks. My point has always been that there are SOME cases in which a cache really doesn't warrant a paragraph to expand upon their experience unless it's been a completely positive one or a really negative one.

The OP solicited opinions on what the rest of the geocaching community thought about his issue and I gave my opinion on how I play the game. If it's not how you play...so be it. Feel free to write your little heart out. I'm not ripping on you. It's not my concern.

I never said they should leave a nice little paragraph on every logs. I attacked the idea of "found it" when clearly we know you found it when you check log it on the computer site. I said that the least someone should do is write a TFTC. Over and over in this thread I have come out and said not ever hide deserves more then a TFTC but they usually require at least that. I now see after reading the homeless and crack alley hides that maybe some do not deserve even that much. All though I would still give the TFTC and then explain why no cache needs to be there. For me TFTC is usually put in right at the front. Than if I spent some time or the cache was at a great spot I will talk about that. I believe all of us should be able to agree that when doing a power trail of 10 or more we are probably not going to write paragraphs about each one. But we should be thoughtful enough to at least write a TFTC on there. We can also go further and write on the first log of the trail that we appreciate them setting it up. If we think the trail is dumb and each guardrail or sign cache was not very creative, I could ask myself what did I expect coming out here. I also do not put a lot of blame on cachers with less then 200 finds. I feel like more than likely as they grow more serious about the sport and see other logs in front of theirs they will realize the courteous thing to do when signing a log is thanking the owner. I think one thing this helps is it helps owners want to put out more hides. Usually put out more quality hides.

I think we have beaten this thread enough. If I could go back I think I would change it from stupid logging to unappreciative logging.

Edited by Ash McCloud

However, if you delete a log for being blank and the logger appeals to GS, it will most likely get reinstated.

Let them appeal! When I delete a log, I will usually send an email to the cacher letting them know why I am deleting the log. If they choose to relog with a few words - even if critical, I'll accept it. A blank log is inappropriate in any situation.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/finding.aspx

Step 4 – The Actual Find

(6) When you get home, log your experience online by going back to that cache page and using the links provided. The cache owner is automatically notified of your log and is always happy to know about your adventure, the condition of their cache, and any environmental factors. Upload photos to share your experience visually with other geocachers.

Certainly not taken literally by anyone but still a basic curtesy to at least write something.

Even an insult like TFTC is better than a blank log.

I hope that people don't think that my logs are full of myself. I tend to ramble about my experience/day, and not all about it is specifically about the cache itself. :unsure: Also, I don't specifically thank the owner for every cache, cause it feels repetitive to me. I try to say something nice about it (or the spot), however.

I hope that people don't think that my logs are full of myself. I tend to ramble about my experience/day, and not all about it is specifically about the cache itself. :unsure: Also, I don't specifically thank the owner for every cache, cause it feels repetitive to me. I try to say something nice about it (or the spot), however.

I don't see any of that as a problem. I would still drop a TFTC at the end or beginning of your log. I love that you would talk about your day caching. I think that is cool. All though pasting that same log on every cache you did that day can get annoying not to cos but to other finders if they are in the same area. Case in point we had someone come to our area. They had the same 10 sentence paragraph stating how happy they were to get out today, blah blah blah. Than they would not have anything to say about the cache. They basically just logged and never really acknowledged each cache. These caches ranged from park and grabs to cool little spots. I ended up going for many of these caches later and when looking at previous logs for either hints or what to look out for saw those logs. For months I was pulling them up on different caches. I just got tired of reading the same thing and knowing it was just wasting space for a log that I might have found more interesting. I doubt your doing that though.

By the way looked at your profile and thought it was cool how you have taken so many pics in your journey. Clearly you have an appreciation for the game and where it takes you.

I didn't read through every post about this topic (149 +, whew...) so I apologize if I'm repeating what's already been said. I wonder how many cache owners log finds with only a TFTC? I'm guessing not many. We hide caches to hear about the experiences of the finder when they find it. That was the whole idea behind hiding caches, for me, at least. But I'm not disappointed when I receive a (really) short log. I'm sure if the experience of finding one of my caches was a "downer", I'd get a log stating something other than TFTC. So I can only conclude that a TFTC is a good thing.