Tired of stupid logging

Logs are often wet or moist, or full, or non-existant. Not to mention Muggles

might be creeping up on your location.

I prefer to leave a quick name and date and then leave a nice "thank you" on the

caches web page.

B.

I think they are referring to the online log, not the paper log.

How hard is it to put in at least a TFTC.

I'm actually disappointed when all I get is a TFTC or other acronyms. Feels like I'm getting a form letter from some company instead of a personal letter from a friend.

Short logs don't bother me in the slightest. Some people are just not "wordy". I'm perfectly happy when someone just says "Quick grab on my way home from work." or "Grabbing a few caches with my friend Bob".

Yea the phone has a lot to do with it. If I was to come back to my computer I would probably leave more of a log. But most times I am at work or with my daughter wanting to go find the next one. I think most times I say thanks or something else about it but want it to be longer but sometimes I don't have the time. If it is a great camo or place I will say something about it. I do however love all the finds.

-WarNinjas

I don't cache with a phone and am not at all familiar with the various apps, but is your only option to log the cache real-time? Can't you flag them as found or create field notes to edit and upload when you get home?

I don't cache with a phone and am not at all familiar with the various apps, but is your only option to log the cache real-time? Can't you flag them as found or create field notes to edit and upload when you get home?

On the official iPhone app you have the option of logging them as a field note. The major problem is that it doesn't remove it from the searches when you do it that way. That plus it's way more convenient to log it right away.

Yea the phone has a lot to do with it. If I was to come back to my computer I would probably leave more of a log.
That's why I use field notes instead of posting logs in the field. I use my phone to jot down the important info, and then when I'm back at a computer with a real keyboard, I post a real log.

I've found that in some situations, the less I concern myself with what other people are doing, the more I enjoyed the game. You can't do much to change the way other people choose to play the game.

Having said that, people that are new to the game often don't realize that cache owners generally prefer longer logs. (I don't think you really understand that aspect till you go to a lot of trouble of creating your own cache).

I have information on my profile page that I know newbies will sometimes read. That's a form of passive education. If you speak to newbies by email or at events, this kind of topic is a good one to reinforce. People will often copy what they see other people doing. With so many drive-up caches that generally only get terse logs it's understandable why people will get into a habit of making short logs even for special caches that warrant a lot more feedback.

I am happy to get any log entries at all. That means someone has spent their time trying to find one of my humbly placed caches. And for that, I am grateful.

However, I too shared OPs sentiment on my first cache. I thought it was a beautiful place and I also searched for personal rewards in the praise of others. But I found that a simple "." made me happy, as it signified that I have made someone take the hike so that they could appreciate, or not, the beautiful place that I tried to show them. My work is to present a place to the Seeker, and if but one seeker shows praise in a 1000 log entries I will be pleased.

So you pretty much can take your opinion and stick it in a 5/5 where few will want to go :)

On the topic of FTF bragging: Where I live we have quite a few very eager FTF hunters (myself included), and we find it pathologically interesting to watch the logs on gc.com to see who got there first, second and third, and also the time for when they found it especially if one was unable to compete for the FTF oneself. As a cache owner I find FTF bragging particularly interesting, I am always very excited to see who gets to my fresh container first of my fellow FTF hunters.

I give out a 'Thanks for the cache'" for park and grabs, something I'm passing by and nab with no effort. The better the hide or more interesting, the longer the post. Everyone gets a 'thanks' for effort. Of course, be careful what you wish for. I'll post not so nice things if I have to track through a mile of dense underbrush only to be taken to a trash heap.

Here's my view:

I enjoy writing nice logs. A quick glance at my profile page says my average "found it" logs are 186 characters and 36 words long. And I've had many that are easily double and triple that and some that push the character limit for an online log. Heck, most of my DNF logs are better than some of the "found it" logs I've received on my caches.

As a CO, I also enjoy reading a nice log as it makes my effort for placing and maintaining my caches a little more rewarding. I don't need to read a full paragraph but this trend towards TFTC or :) or . or nothing at all bothers me a little bit. Not to the point that I'll change the way I write my logs or hide my caches, but still it bugs me. But to each their own and everyone plays the game differently and blah blah blah.

As I said this is just my view. It (along with $1.00) will get you an ice cold Mountain Dew from the soda machine here at work.

Yea the phone has a lot to do with it. If I was to come back to my computer I would probably leave more of a log. But most times I am at work or with my daughter wanting to go find the next one. I think most times I say thanks or something else about it but want it to be longer but sometimes I don't have the time. If it is a great camo or place I will say something about it. I do however love all the finds.

-WarNinjas

Yes I can and have done some editing when I get home to a log. Actually mine are never really "Found" I usually do write something about it. But I can see how it happens. I just uploaded the new C:geo app on my phone today and set in a auto signature that is TFTC -WarNinjas. That is really helpful. Now any log I leave has that in it automatically! So now anything I type in is what I want to say about the cache and saves a lot of time! On my phone changing it into caps and adding in the dash is a pain. The new app works great to the old one was getting worse and worse. I guess a new owner took it over and made a new app and I was working off the old one that had not been updated.

-WarNinjas

On the official iPhone app you have the option of logging them as a field note. The major problem is that it doesn't remove it from the searches when you do it that way. That plus it's way more convenient to log it right away.

Thanks for the info. But if convenience is the thing, it is probably most convenient to log nothing. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir to say this to you, but if its all about the finder's convenience and not the hider's rewards, hiders might just say 'screw it'.

But if convenience is the thing, it is probably most convenient to log nothing.

Actually it is and that's what people think is the problem. There are two separate "buttons" for selecting the log type and for entering the log text. The app doesn't warn or stop you if you skip the log text entry screen.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir to say this to you, but if its all about the finder's convenience and not the hider's rewards, hiders might just say 'screw it'.

I agree with you on that. But, the app should behave the same way as my GPSr does. When I mark a find on my 62 it creates the field note AND takes the cache off the available list. The app doesn't.

When I'm grabbing more than one find with my iPhone I switch to direct logging as the search screen only shows the closest 30 at most. Eventually it becomes more difficult to find the ones you haven't done yet.

It's not really convenience but practicality.

i have been geocaching using the (free) intro app on the iphone. Didn't realise til now tht it doesn't upload to the website to say you've found it, apologies for all the finds i haven't logged and therefore can't comment on. Have upgraded now so hopefully my finds will show and can give comments. Only logged in as found a coin or i'd still be none the wiser :)

But if convenience is the thing, it is probably most convenient to log nothing.

Actually it is and that's what people think is the problem. There are two separate "buttons" for selecting the log type and for entering the log text. The app doesn't warn or stop you if you skip the log text entry screen.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir to say this to you, but if its all about the finder's convenience and not the hider's rewards, hiders might just say 'screw it'.

I agree with you on that. But, the app should behave the same way as my GPSr does. When I mark a find on my 62 it creates the field note AND takes the cache off the available list. The app doesn't.

When I'm grabbing more than one find with my iPhone I switch to direct logging as the search screen only shows the closest 30 at most. Eventually it becomes more difficult to find the ones you haven't done yet.

It's not really convenience but practicality.

In other words, if you find 30 caches but do not directly log them, then are standing in the center of those 30 caches, the app will not show you the closest unfound cache because it is #31 on the list?

That sounds like a magor flaw in the design.

Let’s face it the game has changed and it’s not going to go back. You can blame it on, or credit it to, the smartphone.

Personally, I think it was a better game back when we started in 2007. The caches were better, the locations were better, and the logs were better. Caching was a day trip and people savored it. You planned a hunt, loaded the GPSr, and went out for the day. In our case, we often took a picnic lunch with us. At the end of the day we posted our logs from notes we made in a paper notebook.

Today, for the growing majority of people, caching is a detour in their everyday life. They see what’s close to where they are, find the cache, hit FOUND, and go on with their business.

It’s just a different game and the logs and P&G caches reflect that.

Let's face it the game has changed and it's not going to go back. You can blame it on, or credit it to, the smartphone.

Personally, I think it was a better game back when we started in 2007. The caches were better, the locations were better, and the logs were better. Caching was a day trip and people savored it. You planned a hunt, loaded the GPSr, and went out for the day. In our case, we often took a picnic lunch with us. At the end of the day we posted our logs from notes we made in a paper notebook.

Today, for the growing majority of people, caching is a detour in their everyday life. They see what's close to where they are, find the cache, hit FOUND, and go on with their business.

It's just a different game and the logs and P&G caches reflect that.

You never shared your picnic lunch with me, Doug. :mad:

Let's face it the game has changed and it's not going to go back. You can blame it on, or credit it to, the smartphone.

Today, for the growing majority of people, caching is a detour in their everyday life. They see what's close to where they are, find the cache, hit FOUND, and go on with their business.

The best was at Shaar's Bluff in late November a couple of years ago. It was the first time we passed on Flying Leap of Faith. Sorry you missed it.

If you have a good hide people will say more about it !!!

That's all there is to it !

Oh, Berry, I don’t think we are on the same page about what a good log is. I looked at your logs for your finds sorted by the most favorite points and found these logs. Which ones do you consider a good log?

Found it

Got it

Been here been inside about 100 feet colddddddd plan on going back in soon to see how far it / I can go

Found this one a wile back just never logged it

Needed the hint to find it. Great idea.

Found it

Got it

found with chick

Found it

Found it

Guess I am odd, but I enjoy coming home and logging the day's finds. I say very little when the find is just a film canister on the ground next to a post, but still thank the CO. I do say a lot more when I have really enjoyed the cache and it is obvious the CO put a lot of time into it. However, I don't want to drone on and on, as I hate looking through long-winded logs when I am searching for a clue out in the field.

Yeah most of them sucked I don't like eazy finds

Who wants to jump out of a car and find something on a guard rail ??

Oh, Berry, I don’t think we are on the same page about what a good log is. I looked at your logs for your finds sorted by the most favorite points and found these logs. Which ones do you consider a good log?

Found it

Got it

Been here been inside about 100 feet colddddddd plan on going back in soon to see how far it / I can go

Found it

Got it

found with chick

Found it

Found it

Yeah most of them sucked I don't like eazy finds

Who wants to jump out of a car and find something on a guard rail ??

Oh, Berry, I don't think we are on the same page about what a good log is. I looked at your logs for your finds sorted by the most favorite points and found these logs. Which ones do you consider a good log?

Found it

Got it

Found it

Got it

found with chick

Found it

Found it

They were good enough for you to log, weren't they? Good enough for a smiley, but not good enough for a proper thank-you?

I like long longs after I found a cache. I go back and read others' experiences! But you're right, in the field when I can't fine the cache I yell at the long logs! Too funny.

Edit: Just saw the OOC quote. Crap!

>> Edit: Just saw the OOC quote. Crap!

Thanks for the edit. I was just about ready to post that to OoC!

I don't think it is the smart phones or old timers vs newbies. I almost exclusively log all my caching activities via my iPhone. If I am out caching sometimes I log as I go or record notes in the notepad section of the app to use when logging later at home. Which ever way I choose to log I always think it is courteous to thank the cache owner for taking the time to place a cache for me to find. Tell them what kind of shape the cache is in & if there is any issues that may need to be addressed.

I think many times (not always) the blank logs or four letter logs reflect the mind set of many people in our society that feel they are entitled to everything & their needs or desires are all that matter.

Remember? People stopped doing that sometime around June of '07 :anibad:

Well, I was thinking of hiding my first cache, but all the sharp remarks about all the crappy caches in the world has changed my mind!

Awwww...don't let these remarks scare you off. :) Some of us are just blowing off steam I suppose.

The only thing I can suggest to you is to try and put some thought behind your hide if you want the finder to relate their experience. I mean really...how much excitement and wonder can you write about a guardrail? B)

Ask yourself if *you* as a cacher would enjoy being brought to this particular spot? Would you like to spend some time here? Is there something interesting to see? Is there something to learn about this place? If you see where I'm going with this...then I'm sure that more often than not, people will write logs that are more than four letters long.

Does anyone else get tired of someone signing a log and either not thanking the owner for putting the cache out or wanting to put something that is obvious. I saw one finder that puts down the word Found. I think that is brilliant since we already have a smiley to reflect that. How hard is it to put in at least a TFTC. (Thanks for the cache). I understand not writing out a 2 page essay on why a park and grab was a wonderful hide. But at least something for the effort of the hider. I saw one person who decided to put brag about this being a FTF. I just wonder if anyone else gets frustrated at some of the logging. I can understand a newbie who has less then 200 finds. but if you have more than that you need to have some etiquette on finding and logging. I would say humble opinion but that would be a lie. I will just say this is my opinion.

Ash

If I see any of your caches I will just put a (.) to wind you up, what a silly thing to complain about. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT AND SIGHN LOGS IN OUR OWN WAYS. I always say T4TC but not yours hahahahahaha

Many times, I want to write something cool and profound, but in the excitement of the find, my mind forgets all that, and I end up writing a short simple note. Lately, some of my finds have been epic (like slipping on the way back to the car, and having my body bent into unatural positions, forgetting the pen, battery going dead just as I get close enough to the cache, the distance on the cgeo saying 12 kilometers when I know I have to be right on top of it somewhere, the phone clip belt case breaks and the phone falls on the tarmac and becomes four pieces). I usually log the caching sagas in a nice long story, as they are funny to read.

I use my Droid to cache, and am logging the find on the way back to the car most of the time ( hence the slip and fall once), and I am trying to get the most caches found in the time I allot myself before heading for home. Shorter logs tend to be my norm on those all day caching spurts. Most of the time I forget to put in the alphabet soup - TFTC, TNLNTFTC.... I do know that when I first started, I had to translate all the alphabet soup. I am not a texter on the phone, and don't know all the abbreviations.

Last thought: I though that you HAD TO put in a comment on the log, and that it wouldn't let you log it without one. At least that is what my droid does.

Does anyone else get tired of someone signing a log and either not thanking the owner for putting the cache out or wanting to put something that is obvious. I saw one finder that puts down the word Found. I think that is brilliant since we already have a smiley to reflect that. How hard is it to put in at least a TFTC. (Thanks for the cache). I understand not writing out a 2 page essay on why a park and grab was a wonderful hide. But at least something for the effort of the hider. I saw one person who decided to put brag about this being a FTF. I just wonder if anyone else gets frustrated at some of the logging. I can understand a newbie who has less then 200 finds. but if you have more than that you need to have some etiquette on finding and logging. I would say humble opinion but that would be a lie. I will just say this is my opinion.

Ash

If I see any of your caches I will just put a (.) to wind you up, what a silly thing to complain about. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT AND SIGHN LOGS IN OUR OWN WAYS. I always say T4TC but not yours hahahahahaha

Your last log:

Great Multi and in a area I thought I knew well, but I now know better. Thanks for getting me out for a short walk. T4TC

I'd be flattered by such a log, short as it is. I tend to write logs like this. Short and to the point, but not very verbose. Your log is complementary, explained that you learned something new about an area you thought you were an expert in, and you thanked the cache owner. Perfect log in my book.

Some of my logs are short, and some are the longest ever attached to a cache. All 5200+ end with "Thanks..." on it's own separate salutation line. Some are cut and paste, and some are not very nice, but they all say "Thanks...". This is also true of my DNFs

Ash

So, you are not willing to listen to things that some people are indeed bothered by, and allow yourself to learn from that?

You, for example, are apparently bothered by people expressing what annoys them. You expect those people to learn from your silly complaint and to stop making that sort of post. Sorry, but I don't see your silly complaint as any different from the OP "silly complaint".

Ash

I'm sure every cache owner gets those dreaded "TFTC-only" logs or even "blank" founds from time to time but it's those really nice, picture-attached stories about geocachers who had a great time finding your cache, that makes everything okay.

Guess I am odd, but I enjoy coming home and logging the day's finds. I say very little when the find is just a film canister on the ground next to a post, but still thank the CO. I do say a lot more when I have really enjoyed the cache and it is obvious the CO put a lot of time into it. However, I don't want to drone on and on, as I hate looking through long-winded logs when I am searching for a clue out in the field.

I wouldn't imagine too many loggers put any thought into whether their log will help someone find clues. If they think about it at all it should be to make sure they don't give any clues. At least not any real obvious ones (once again, if any).

Edited by Pipeline Putters

Stupid caches get stupid logs.

We put creativity into our caches, weather it be camo or placement. I don't EXPECT every cacher to write something nice about my caches, just come out and find them. If you place caches EXPECTING great logs then your in for a world of disappointment and suggest not hiding caches. :rolleyes:

I am happy to get any log entries at all. That means someone has spent their time trying to find one of my humbly placed caches. And for that, I am grateful.

However, I too shared OPs sentiment on my first cache. I thought it was a beautiful place and I also searched for personal rewards in the praise of others. But I found that a simple "." made me happy, as it signified that I have made someone take the hike so that they could appreciate, or not, the beautiful place that I tried to show them. My work is to present a place to the Seeker, and if but one seeker shows praise in a 1000 log entries I will be pleased.

So you pretty much can take your opinion and stick it in a 5/5 where few will want to go :)

Very well said, but unfortunately some will never be satisfied with the fact that a cacher took the time to go searching for their cache. If that doesn't make you happy, fine, don't be happy. Just don't think everyone should change their logging style to make you happy.

This is the part where someone will look at my profile to see if I own any caches and dig through my logs to see if mine meet their standards. No I'm not a CO...yet. When I am, I know that there will be plenty of logs to read, not just short ones. If there aren't, then I'll still enjoy the fact that someone took the time during their cache outing to come find mine.

Well, I was thinking of hiding my first cache, but all the sharp remarks about all the crappy caches in the world has changed my mind!

My best advice for anyone in this forum, especially newcomers, is to never be discouraged by what you read here. The forum tends to be a fairly negative place if you're new to Geocaching. If you enjoy the hobby and plan on sticking with it, take from this forum what you want and what you need. There's some very useful information here, you just have to look. Learn from others, but understand that doesn't mean you have to be influenced to do it their way. We will always take sides on a matter based on our own opinions, but how you handle yourself is what's important.

We always try to write longer logs, especially when they belong to a puzzle we spent days solving or for really nice locations or hides. But lets be honest, what can you write about a bison thrown behind the bicycle stand at a supermarket or a film canister underneath a garbage bin? "Quick find, thanks for the cache" is about everything, really :unsure: Of course, alternatively we could as well put the cache back without logging it when we find out it's not the most creative one :laughing:

While I appreciate, and enjoy reading, a long log,I am not put off by people who leave short logs. Some people enjoy writing and are quite good at it. Others find a long log difficult - and possible inane. I usually try to write a line or two, but I don't generally feel the need to let everyone know how long I searched in the wrong places for a 1/1 cache (actually, I might put that in a log), what I had for breakfast today, or how much the humidity is making my hair curl. If it's been a special cache, I may put a bit more in my log. Knowing that people are hunting and finding my cache is reward in itself. A nice extra bit in the log is a pleasant addition--the cherry on the sundae.

It's the same with my TBs. I love to hear of their adventures, but am quite pleased to know that they are moving.

We put creativity into our caches, weather it be camo or placement. I don't EXPECT every cacher to write something nice about my caches, just come out and find them. If you place caches EXPECTING great logs then your in for a world of disappointment and suggest not hiding caches. :rolleyes:

The whole point of this forum was just to say some people should know better. But no matter what people should have courtesy. Hopefully some people will learn that.

Ash

Why do you sign logs T4TC if it doesnt matter. it seems maybe both of us like to thank the owner of a cache. Most of the people who are not newbies might all be different but they all seem to thank the owner for the cache. I just gave an opinion about why i think people should thanks owners.

The whole point of this forum was just to say some people should know better. But no matter what people should have courtesy. Hopefully some people will learn that.

Just because you're a cacher doesn't make you courteous. Anyone can play this game and can log anyway they want to. You are not going to change that and hopefully you will learn that. Be happy someone came to find your cache.

Edited by the4dirtydogs

I wouldn't imagine too many loggers put any thought into whether their log will help someone find clues. If they think about it at all it should be to make sure they don't give any clues. At least not any real obvious ones (once again, if any).

There is sometimes a lot of stuff written between the lines of a log that can provide useful clues. That's the first thing that most of us do if we can't find the cache.

For example, say you are looking for a cache with a terrain rating of 2, and you can't find it. You read a log where somebody says that the terrain rating was way too low. You start to look up into the trees, perhaps, or you head down that rocky ravine that you didn't think you had to scale.

"Had to move a lot of snow to find this one" will probably have you looking on the ground.

"Wasn't in the obvious spot"... OK, guess you can skip that big old hollow tree.

Newbie posts "Smallest cache I've ever seen". Nano, most likely stuck on something steel.

When I first started caching, I didn't know what to say. TFTC was the first thing I learned, and figured that was sufficient. I am ALWAYS thankful for any cache I find, even if it is a simple PnG. Some days, a PnG is all I really have time for; I just want a break from the insanity of every day life. Caching does that for me. So, if I can pick up 13 PnGs on the way home from a doctor's appointment (I got to leave work early that day, and the weather was beautiful), I'll do it. This is what I did a few days ago, and frankly, it was relaxing and just what I needed. If someone hadn't placed caches along my route back home, I never would have gotten to cache at all. Therefore, they will get, at the minimum, a TFTC. Lately, I've become rather winded in my logs. I typically copy and paste the beginning of my log for all of the caches I've done that day, and then tell some story about my experience to/at the cache. Always ending with some form of thanks. On physical logs, I only sign my name and date it. I take notes "in the field" on each cache (plus I have a pretty good memory as well as log caches in the same day that I find them--with rare exceptions). Frankly, every cache takes me somewhere I've never been, even if it's only 250' from the grocery store I go to on a regular basis. There is ALWAYS something new to see! Here I go again, getting all winded in a post. Oy. :anicute:

There is sometimes a lot of stuff written between the lines of a log that can provide useful clues. That's the first thing that most of us do if we can't find the cache.

For example, say you are looking for a cache with a terrain rating of 2, and you can't find it. You read a log where somebody says that the terrain rating was way too low. You start to look up into the trees, perhaps, or you head down that rocky ravine that you didn't think you had to scale.

"Had to move a lot of snow to find this one" will probably have you looking on the ground.

"Wasn't in the obvious spot"... OK, guess you can skip that big old hollow tree.

Newbie posts "Smallest cache I've ever seen". Nano, most likely stuck on something steel.

That's exactly what I do. If something goes wrong and I couldn't find a cache if I don't have my phone out there in the field with me to look up old logs I'll come home and read them and take out the tidbits of clues I find there. It works really well actually. Some caches I still can't find I'll occasionally look at logs that are coming in to seee if any of them add a clue.

I have based my logs on most the ones i have read. Most of them are one or 2 liners. I just figured the cache owners didn't like the long posts. I would much rather discribe my hunt and finds. Most time i am searching with my wife and 3 year old daughter. I am glad this post was put up because now i will not feel bad leaving a long post.