Tired of stupid logging

Does anyone else get tired of someone signing a log and either not thanking the owner for putting the cache out or wanting to put something that is obvious. I saw one finder that puts down the word Found. I think that is brilliant since we already have a smiley to reflect that. How hard is it to put in at least a TFTC. (Thanks for the cache). I understand not writing out a 2 page essay on why a park and grab was a wonderful hide. But at least something for the effort of the hider. I saw one person who decided to put brag about this being a FTF. I just wonder if anyone else gets frustrated at some of the logging. I can understand a newbie who has less then 200 finds. but if you have more than that you need to have some etiquette on finding and logging. I would say humble opinion but that would be a lie. I will just say this is my opinion.

Ash

Well, I'm definitely a newbie. Just logged my 24th find today. What I tend to do is follow the leader on the paper cache-If most people are taking up a full page to themselves (One cache I just did was like that) then I'll do the same, and put a little bit of detail into my paper log. Others just put down date, username, and a TFTC or what have you. I generally will do that too, or some variation like "Nice hide! Enjoyed the hike!" However, when I do my log entry on the website, I'll usually tell a little bit more detail about the cache hunt, or the hike, or something I saw, or whatever. For example, here's one of my recent entries:

Well, this was an exercise in "How not to Geocache." I hopped off the easy trail waaay too early, bushwacked well over a mile (WOW there's a lot of spiders back there!) and then finally found the cache. Now, how to get out? Well, let's see...I can backtrack the way I came in, but I'm already pretty sure I did that the hard way, and I'm hot and my camelback is running low, so I don't really want to do it again. Plus, I can hear thunder rumbling. The other way out is to just go ahead and get wet. So, feeling lazy, I decide I'll just wade through the water. Upon doing so, I realize I'm now about 400 feet from where I left the trail originally! Had I been just a touch more patient before starting my lovely little bushwack, I could have cut well over 40 minutes off this hike, plus stayed dry! Ah well. I got the smiley, and had a nice time in the woods, and that is the point, after all. Thanks for the hide, it wasn't too bad once I made it to GZ This one was definitely the most challenging approach I've made so far!

I don't get mad about people making "stupid" logs, but I really enjoy reading other people's stories when they put a little bit of effort into their logs.

I can understand your frustration, with the amount of time and effort required to create a cache. Maybe some people just don't realise how much work is involved?

Even as a newbie myself (10 finds) I appreciate the work required and am looking forward to the day I create my first cache :-) I hope people would be courteous enough to say thanks when I do. Maybe it just the world we live in these days, not enough manners I say!!!

As my parents always say "manners cost nothing" :-)

WKD

As the cache owner it is your responsibility to insure that a log posted on the cache page is appropriate.

6.7. Log Deletion

"It is one of your maintenance duties as the cache owner to monitor quality control of posts to the cache page. To this end, you have the power to delete logs.

Use your powers carefully. The complete set of logs tells the story of the cache or that Trackable Item. Once it is deleted, you cannot restore it. You also have the power to permanently encrypt a log, which is a nice alternative to deletion.

Many logging errors are simple mistakes. Assume the best and please deal kindly with logs that may be in error: Are they novices using "Found it!" for repeat visits? Are they cachers entering finds on the wrong cache page?

If you must, delete a log by using the View This Log link. That link will open the log on its own page. Above the log you'll see a "Delete Log" and a "Permanently Encrypt" button. If you choose to delete, you will be asked "Are you sure you want to delete this log entry?" and must click "Yes." Again: once it is deleted, you cannot restore it."

I see a blank log to be an insult to the placer in as much as the finder thought so little of the find that they are only acknowledging it enough to claim the smiley.

Why not just send them a note reflecting something similar and suggest that they update their log? If not, just delete it and send a note to the logger that their blank log is deemed inappropriate and ask them to try again.

I've found 13 so far and was leaving short acronym logs (TFTH TNLNSL) that I learned from a geocaching how-to book. I read the book in its entirety before I started geocaching. Today I learned that COs don't appreciate that and have gone back and edited my 13 logs to show more appreciation. B)

Many times my logs relfect the cache itself... a quick C&D gets a quick log...not spitefully, but if the cache owner didn't bring me here to see something or for even a nice walk in the woods or a strange rock or a pile of dirt or whatever, then what is there to log? you are gonna get a TFTC. Maybe I should start writing, "this guardrail is quite shiney along the desolate wilderness road. Thanks for not making me walk 50 feet back to that hollowed out tree stump to find an ammo can or something." However, no matter the size or where it is, if the cache causes me to see something, even if it is just a plain old walk in the woods, I make lengthier logs because I have experienced more. I love getting longer logs on my caches, and there are a few of mine that are quick C&Ds that I don't expect much when people log. I think once you place a cache, the idea of the log takes on a different meaning for you.

I like logs where people tell me there story and I like leaving my wisdom and adventure. However if I am out and find a dozen caches I do not spend too much time playing log catch up.... and when other people keep it simple I undertand.

Knowing that my cache was visited is good enough when it comes down to the bottom line.

I always think of my log as a thank you note to the cache owner for the hide. I own several caches myself and am always excited to open my email and see what somebody has to say about my hide... what was their experience, who were they caching with, did they like the hide, how long did they have to search? It is disappointing when the log is a simple "TFTC", but I don't get too upset about it.

Recently I've been going on bigger cache outings... found 42 a couple of Saturday's ago now. Though it literally took hours to log the finds, I still wrote a good sized paragraph for each find. I can appreciate, however, that not everyone wants to take the time to do that. Sometimes I wonder if I am too wordy and nobody cares about my little adventure. To each his own... I am going to keep telling the story of the find in my cache logs as a thank you to all those that take the time to place and maintain the caches I find. Thanks cache owners!

Does anyone else get tired of someone signing a log and either not thanking the owner for putting the cache out or wanting to put something that is obvious. I saw one finder that puts down the word Found. I think that is brilliant since we already have a smiley to reflect that. How hard is it to put in at least a TFTC. (Thanks for the cache). I understand not writing out a 2 page essay on why a park and grab was a wonderful hide. But at least something for the effort of the hider. I saw one person who decided to put brag about this being a FTF. I just wonder if anyone else gets frustrated at some of the logging. I can understand a newbie who has less then 200 finds. but if you have more than that you need to have some etiquette on finding and logging. I would say humble opinion but that would be a lie. I will just say this is my opinion.

Ash

Really it depends on your expectations and what you are offering for a cache. I have a TB hotel(not labeled as such but people know) that I absolutely expect nothing more than "Dropped Bug" and "Grabbed bug". Fact is I'm quite pleased that people are using it as much as they are. It's a roadside stop so why would I expect a story? Move them bugs. I don't need TFTC on every visit.

I had a cache that was getting nothing more than - Found it, TFTC, Logged... People obviously did not have an experience worth writing about and I wasn't enjoying reading the logs. So I Archived the cache and open it up for someone with more imagination than me. Unfortunately it was taken over by someone with the same imagination and then who subsequently left the game and the cache to rot.

I do have a couple three caches that get at least a paragraph on each visit. If and when I am done with geocaching I will adopt them out to another dedicated cacher.

So basically if I don't like the majority of the logs, chances are pretty good it's not the finders who need to rethink their approach.

Edited by BlueDeuce

A long log entry is always great to receive and read, and shows appreciation from the seeker to the CO.

However I'm not going to lose any sleep if I just get a 'TFTC' or blank log. It is still better than no-one seeking/finding the cache at all.

Particularly for DNFs, I'd rather have a blank DNF log than no log at all, as this can help indicate problems early.

Nope, doesn't bother me. Say as much or as little, I'm just pleased someone made the effort to find it. I'm the same way when I find caches--a LPC is likely to get a QF (quick find), whereas clever hides will get a sentence or two. As will those that took some effort to get to, etc. It also seems that when I'm doing part of a power trail, I often forget the details of one or two.

I am sometimes guilty of posting short logs. Its not that I didn't appreciate the cache or the work that went into it though. Often a buddy and I will go on a cache run and pick up 50+ caches in one day. When we get back home to log them, chances are I'm not going to remember exactly what each and every one of them was. If a cache was unique, or brought me to an interesting spot I am much more likely to remember it and post a more detailed log of my find. I enjoy caches that are well thought out instead of the average film can on the ground under a rock, and my logs reflect that :smile:

I placed a geocache at the top of a very prominent hill (a good hike) in a tourist town. Cruise ship destination. You can see the entire city including the harbor, Pacific ocean, cruise ships and everything. Most people leave comments on how beautiful the unobstructed, panoramic view was etc. Or how tough their hike was. The last cacher to find it logged a simple, lonely "TFTC". I'll admit, I was a little peeved.

A long log entry is always great to receive and read, and shows appreciation from the seeker to the CO.

However I'm not going to lose any sleep if I just get a 'TFTC' or blank log. It is still better than no-one seeking/finding the cache at all.

Particularly for DNFs, I'd rather have a blank DNF log than no log at all, as this can help indicate problems early.

I agree.

My main point to this was not for a long log. It was for at least the courtesy of a simple TFTC. I don't think that is too much to ask for. Even when I am on a power run. I feel i deserve to thank the hider. I know that he did not put a lot of thought in the hide. But I myself chose to do the power run. That reflects that I wanted those numbers and quick caches. I owe at least to thank them for putting that there. Of course I am not going to spend a paragraph talking about how finding a lamp skirt cache changed my life and made me rethink my goals in life, but in a walmart parking lot where there is no other spot to put a cache they allowed me to get a quick cache while the wife is grabbing some milk. Maybe I am working on a consecutive day challenge, there again that cache helped keep the streak going.

personal note all my hides are at places I want people to see. But even if i had a power run with 100 caches all exactly the same, i would at least think a pasted TFTC would be warranted. The dumb thing to me is the found log. OF course you found it that is what the smile means.

I really believe most cachers that are on here would log correctly. Most of the people who have logged mine and the ones I have seen that logged caches before I did, showed proper respect. Only a few have just given the no blank. Seeing someone with over a thousand finds not at least write a quick thank you is where the question of courtesy comes up.

GOI*

(*get over it)

No thank you. But you feel free to.

I care about this activity. If you don't, so much for that. I can't make you care. Saying "thanks" has become a rarity in this country, and I plan to do what I can to bring it back, even if my efforts are in vain.

Edited by knowschad

We have a few hides, nothing creative or spectacular, mostly just easy finds in nice areas. We don't really expect any great write ups but a sentence or two is always nice. Don't care much for the TFTC or the lone smiley face log but if that's what we get then no big deal. What bugs "me" even more is when I see the found, TFTC or smiley face on one of the really nice caches in the area that someone has put a lot of thought and creative effort into. When I see a TFTC on one of those my thoughts are "really? that's it?" I mean, come on you've got to have something more to say than that, even on real basic ones if you can't think of something to say about the cache how about who you were with, what was the weather like, how long did it take, could you smell the dairy farm from the cache etc etc......something.

GT Pipeline Putters

Logs are often wet or moist, or full, or non-existant. Not to mention Muggles

might be creeping up on your location.

I prefer to leave a quick name and date and then leave a nice "thank you" on the

caches web page.

B.

Wait...are we talking physical log or online logging? Cuz I hardly ever put more than my name and date. If it's a big old book, I may put a short TFTC. I thought we were talking about logging the find online.

I'm not tired of "stupid logging". I *am* tired of stupid caches.

If you put a cigar/film can/matchstick/pill bottle/or mag.hide a key inside a guardrail, lamppost, in someplace that makes me mad that I traveled to find it....then rest assured I'll put as much thought into the log as the CO must have put into the cache. None.

Putting simply, "TFTC". is my polite way of saying your cache sucks.

If it's a decent micro that took some thought or it brought me to a really cool place...you'll get a full account of my caching adventure.

I'm not tired of "stupid logging". I *am* tired of stupid caches.

If you put a cigar/film can/matchstick/pill bottle/or mag.hide a key inside a guardrail, lamppost, in someplace that makes me mad that I traveled to find it....then rest assured I'll put as much thought into the log as the CO must have put into the cache. None.

If it's a decent micro that took some thought or it brought me to a really cool place...you'll get a full account of my caching adventure.

Well that is fine as long as you put TFTC. Most people realize when they are going on a road or to a parking lot that it is probably going to be a park and grab. There are reasons for them as well. I have a friend and his kids love park and grabs. They are young and it gives them a chance to figure out where the cache is. Some people want them for numbers. Some want them for challenges. When I first started caching I would not realize what kind of cache i was going to when I picked one but now I am usually pretty aware at least 90% of the time what kind of area I am going to. I know that if i am on some back road they will probably be P&G. Yet again I chose to go for them. To be honest I might be incorrect but I doubt the owners of a P&G care about anything more then TFTC. But at least give them that.

Yea the phone has a lot to do with it. If I was to come back to my computer I would probably leave more of a log. But most times I am at work or with my daughter wanting to go find the next one. I think most times I say thanks or something else about it but want it to be longer but sometimes I don't have the time. If it is a great camo or place I will say something about it. I do however love all the finds.

-WarNinjas

However, when I do my log entry on the website, I'll usually tell a little bit more detail about the cache hunt, or the hike, or something I saw, or whatever.

Thank you! Thank You! Thank You! :)

You, sir, are fixing to get some nice, interesting logs. I have a whole list of caches I need to hunt down in the ONF, and just as soon as I can get a day to mosey over there, I intend to start logging some of yours. They look like a lot of fun. I'm hoping very much to meet you at the FFF7 in October.

This is why I take along my little black book. While out caching I jot down the name and the GC code of the cache, along with notes about swag I drop cache condition, etc. This way I can go caching for a couple of days straight without having to rush on the logs.

Before too much time goes by I get online and with my book in hand log those caches.

In my logs I mention things like

is the logbook dry

is the logbook full (did I have to write over someone elses faded entry)

cache condition = full of water - or - dry and clean - or - packed with firecrackers (once found one packed with fireworks for real)

did I drop something in the cache

did I make the search harder than necessary * This is a common thing for me

sometimes I not how far off my GPSr had me when I put my hands on the cache* This sometimes is quite some distance

I have a smartphone, it is really smart. But when I go out caching all it does is play my audiobooks, check my e-mail, and make phone calls.

P.S. Those tiny film canister scrolls in the larger peanut butter jar, I use two or three lines for my siggy stamp and my TFTC.

My first 50 or so cache logs were all long in the physical log but short on the online log. Then I realised that the other way around is probably better (and certainly what I enjoy as a CO now) so I went back and edited all my online logs with more detail especially why I liked their cache (I like to point out something nice about the cache, although yes, I've found a few that were quite difficult to say anything nice about, but it can be done!) :laughing: . I tend to only write the basics in the physical log now, as I am often acting very shifty trying to avoid muggles, so it's a quick scramble to log and be away! I write my log out in detail on the iphone (and yes, there are some odd spelling errors in those logs at times...) which I then go back and fix up on the PC when I get home (mainly to fix those spelling errors!).

In the end, everyone plays the game differently, so I'm learning to just enjoy the game and not be fussed if someone does it their own way! :blink:

It is the smart phone. Have you ever tried typing an elaborate log in with the i-Phone? On an Android, you have "Swipe" but it sill hard to do without constantly correcting typos....

Basically, it is old school vs. newbies...

This hasn't been my experience. I log all my caches, upload pictures and create caches all with my Android.

I think it's the computer loggers. They forget about the hunt and cache by the time they get home to log. :)

Also, I'm not a newb and I still use my smartphone for many caching tasks.

Editto add: PS all my forum posts are from my HTC Thunderbolt.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

I know someone who won't even log that, he'll just say "TFTS -- thanks for the smiley. It's his way of saying "Your cache had no redeeming value other than adding one to my Find count on the webiste."

I used to get a little annoyed when some of my better caches got short logs with no details and no experience. Now I figure since it is something I can't control I won't care other than to try and set an example for others.

We generally sign the physical log with our name and the date only unless the log book is huge - which it rarely is. If we are out of town, we will add "All the way from BC, Canada!" Our online logs are more detailed. It's easy to write four or five sentences, even for simple caches.

1. Four out of six Noisy Hikers out caching on this beautiful day. (Here's your cut and paste beginning)

2. NH#5 spotted this one right away/after some searching/just as we were about to give up.

3. Cache is in great shape/log book is full/a little damp/has been bitten in half

4. Dropped a coin/TB/swag, thanks for the cache!

Anything else, as they say, is gravy :D