Containers and Wildfires

CrackerFL

I had a thought yesterday while reading through a log on a local cache. The cache is placed in a State Park (with permission). This park regularly conducts controlled burns, meaning this cache is in jeopardy of being burned up. The log entry related that the container was in really bad shape, suggesting maybe the next finder could bring out a new one, as the CO is inactive. While I didn't end up making it to the site, it got me thinking....

How do you deal with wildfire, controlled burns, or other fire issues? Obviously, these could present a serious threat to a cache. If time permitted, the best bet would be to deactivate and retrieve the container, but that can't happen all the time. Do you attempt to use fire-proof containers? Is a burned cache just automatically archived? Assuming your cache does get caught in a blaze, what happens then? Obviously most people aren't going to be so keen on hunting through a charred wasteland looking for a crispy ammo can.

Sorry for the rambling, this has just been on my mind lately, due in no small part to the rather fiery summer Florida has enjoyed this year.

If I know it is in the specific area of my cache, I'd probably disable the cache.

If it gets crisped I'll get out there and check on in after they are done burning. I wouldn't bother with a fire-proof container. I think TAR has a picture of one of his caches all burnt and smushed.

If it is still in place after the burn (even if it is a crispy ammo can) it could still be an intersting place to go. Burns have an interesting enviroment to them.

Some of my hides are within controlled burned areas. For those, I use ammo cans. they hold up VERY well. They generally make it through burns. I have seen burned ammo cans in great shape.

Sometimes, like in Myakka Forest, I'll hide just near enough the trail to avoid the burn, but conceal from mugglers. Then I'll use a peanut butter jar.

Lastly, some caches just have to be replaced because they were melted. There are a bunch ot caches here at the Charlotte Harbor Preserved that are disabled until the CO can replace melted ones. It happens.

I've hunted caches right after a burn. It's fun and smells good. The charred area is cool. Vegetation grows back super fast too, so no need to archive the caches.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

There's not a lot you can do to avoid a wildfire, so a proactive approach is probably out. In the case of a wildfire, I would disable my cache until I could check on it, bringing a replacement just in case. For a controlled burn, I would move my container out of the danger zone, if I had enough warning. I keep communications open with the Division of Forestry, so I usually have a couple weeks notice of their intent. The places I hide that are subject to controlled burns both require ammo cans only, as cache hides, due to the perceived danger of a firefighter stepping in a puddle of molten Tupperware. While the rubber seal and the contents are usually fried when an ammo can goes through a fire, the container itself is perceived to not be a hazard, as it keeps all the melted stuff inside. (That's what they tell me...)

We once found the remains of a Lock & Lock cache after a wildfire: coin, glass, metal coil from log book. We CITOed the contents and marked the cache as "Needs Archive." The local reviewer properly temporarily disabled the cache to give the owner a chance to replace it if they wanted. Since there weren't many hiding spots left, the owner ended up archiving the cache.

Edited by CanadianRockies

One of my first finds had just gone through a controlled burn. It was an ammo can.. I will say the can survived, it was severely warped, and everything inside was ash. It was in a conservation area near my home. The CO archived it, so I looked into what the rules of the area were for placing caches and found out that the land manager would contact the CO when the controlled burns happen. The park areas around here are very geocache friendly though.

Huh. Interesting replies. Much appreciated. SeekeroftheWay, you make a good point. The burned areas are sometimes pretty neat looking. I've never gone out and roamed around in one though. Might have to do that sometime. By the way, my parents live right down in your neck of the woods. I visit there a fair amount. Grew up in Sarasota, and just nabbed a few caches in Oscar Scherer State Park this week. Hope to get out to Myakka soon.