New caches for an event

I have hidden a few caches to coincide with an upcoming event. Now I am wondering when to ask the reviewer to release them.

Most caches for events seem to be published the evening before, which is good for giving everyone a chance to get an FTF. But if you are travelling any distance, it is one more last minute thing to do. I know I have missed loading caches on my GPS because they were published too close to the event.

At the moment I am considering asking them to go live 3 or 4 days ahead of the event. Just wondering what people thought...

round here they are always published on the day of the event so everyone attending can find them as a group effort. When it comes to FTF A lot of cachers round here see event cache series as a group effort so everyone who is in that group when the cache is first found gets joint FTF honors.

An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list.

Why do event setter feel the need to have a load of new cache available to support their event? If the event won't stand on it's own merit... don't set it.... simples!

Few days before would help me! I almost missed some new ones at one event this year having downloaded new ones and not expected more to be published while I was at event Fortunately someone handed me the coords as they were coming back from their stroll - yes I could have had walkies without them but since it was such a nice new circuit I would have kicked myself to miss em if I'd only seen em once home

I presume you can ask for them not to be found before event - and then if anyone too enthusiastic delete the find???? Not that a FTF is something likely to happen to me - event or otherwise, I live in Lothians and not quite as "dedicated" as others!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got a horrible feeling I may be about to miss out on another event, can you remind me which one this is for please.

This is to coincide with the "Welcome to Geocaching - Almondell" event, GC2WC93. We will be having a wee barbecue afterwards, so it would be great to see you.

If you have the time, get them published a few days before, but don't place them until the morning of the event. Of course you would say that they aren't placed until the event.

Mmmmm, interesting idea, I could do this for the two that I have still to put in place. Just to be awkward, I think I might ask Deci to publish the others over a few days, one or two at a time.

I've got a horrible feeling I may be about to miss out on another event, can you remind me which one this is for please.

This is to coincide with the "Welcome to Geocaching - Almondell" event, GC2WC93. We will be having a wee barbecue afterwards, so it would be great to see you.

Ah Yes, I had seen that, but I start work at 2pm so as much as I would love to be there, I can't sorry. :(

If you have the time, get them published a few days before, but don't place them until the morning of the event. Of course you would say that they aren't placed until the event.

Mmmmm, interesting idea, I could do this for the two that I have still to put in place. Just to be awkward, I think I might ask Deci to publish the others over a few days, one or two at a time.

I've done this in the past, and as long as you don't have lots it is a very good way to make sure no one goes out and bags them early.

An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list.

Why do event setter feel the need to have a load of new cache available to support their event? If the event won't stand on it's own merit... don't set it.... simples!

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule as in this case. It's difficult to introduce newbies to caching without some nearby caches to find.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule as in this case. It's difficult to introduce newbies to caching without some nearby caches to find.

True... and quite sensible in that case but there have been instances where there have been well over 100 new caches set to support an event. I suspect that even you, Dave, would admit that so many new caches for an event was just a bit O.T.T.

I've been to a lot of events where folks just used it as an excuse for bagging a fistful of new caches. A 'hard core' of cachers stayed and chatted, which was the object of the event but many more just turned up, asked where the log book was, signed it then disappeared with a "Sorry, can't stop. Still got a dozen to find."

It should be a rule that to claim an event as 'Attended', the attendee should stay for at least 30 minutes, talk to a minimum of 6 different people and buy at least one round of drinks! :lol:

It should be a rule that to claim an event as 'Attended', the attendee should stay for at least 30 minutes, talk to a minimum of 6 different people and buy at least one round of drinks! :lol:

I like it!

"stay 5 hours, talk to everyone, even any muggles, buy several round of drinks, and taxi home" would be my definition of a Mega! I dunno where they came up with this 500 people thing... Expensive round.

True... and quite sensible in that case but there have been instances where there have been well over 100 new caches set to support an event. I suspect that even you, Dave, would admit that so many new caches for an event was just a bit O.T.T.

I've been to a lot of events where folks just used it as an excuse for bagging a fistful of new caches. A 'hard core' of cachers stayed and chatted, which was the object of the event but many more just turned up, asked where the log book was, signed it then disappeared with a "Sorry, can't stop. Still got a dozen to find."

I can't deny that you are bang on with this John, especially the part which I have highlighted in bold.

I tend not to place caches for events, but a few years ago I used to place maybe up to 3 or 4 for an event. Which was mainly to give something for locals to find before arriving. Since having an influx of several hundred caches being published for 1 event and I don't mean a mega either, I started to realise that you should have a reason for placing them on the day of an event.

The problem seems to be that finding caches is the one thing that is not supposed to happen at an avent. Although originally envisaged as a small social gathering lasting perhaps a few hours, they have become all day or even multiple day cache finding extravaganzas which are "ligitimised" by including the mandatory gathering

almost as an afterthought. A moritorium on the release of new caches within 5 days and 20 miles of the event would solve the problem.

As a regular eventer, I HATE it when new caches are published AT the event and not before.

This is because I like to get the caches onto my GPS, along with the cache page etc, and then decide when during the weekend / event I do them.

I know some FTF hounds queue up for cache sheets early and then run around the caches etc, but to me, the whole point of an event is to get together with other cachers and have a chat / drink / meal / brew and enjoy being in the company of other like minded people, not running around the countryside and only pop into the event to grab cache details.

Plus, I'm lazy... I hate putting caches into the GPS manually!!!

Edited by HazelS

Thanks for all the replies.

I have asked for some to be published on the evening before, but I let a few go without a delay and they are live now. There were only two caches in the park, but now people will see a few more and hopefully this will be an extra incentive to come along. Hopefully, there might even be a few favourite points on a couple by then.

At the events I have been to, it is okay to stand around and chat for a bit, but it is also nice to go off with a group, or meet other cachers on the trail. I didn't hide any caches for my Flashmob events, and I think it made some people do the nearby multis that they would not normally go for.

I agree that it is a pain to enter cache coordinates by hand, but I will printout a few sheets for those that may need them.