Photo Limits to 125k or 600 pixels wide

Jeremy

Ok, I think I found a good compromise for the folks who want to keep their images "pure," and our need to keep the disk usage to a minimum.

Now, when you upload cache log images, if they are either 125k in size or 600 pixels wide, they will not be resized, except for thumbnail and smaller display images.

This change was made as a request by folks who prefer to modify their own images and keep the file sizes small. That's fine for me, since disk space is my concern. Have fun!

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Jeremy, I appreciate the thought and effort. Having an extra 25KB added to the image size will be a BIG help. Thanks for this. But I still don't understand the 600 pixel width limitation. A portrait-oriented image (assuming standard 3:4 proportions) will display as much as 800 pixels high, but a landscape-oriented (4:3) image will still be only 450 pixels high. Your limitations grossly favor portrait mode over landscape mode, and most people shoot in landscape orientation by a large margin.

And, could you clarify: does this mean if an image is less than 125KB that it will not be resized even if it is over 600 pixels wide?

[suggestion:] Would it be possible to just add an option to the "Upload an Image..." page that users can check if they want their images automatically resized (for those people who aren't into doing that sort of thing themselves)?

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

--- You might own the cache, but geocaching.com owns you. ---

[This message was edited by Rich in NEPA on October 11, 2003 at 05:10 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

Yes, the original image will not be resized or modified if the uploaded image is under 125k.

icon_smile.gif That's great! A little more leeway in the upload filesize is just what I'd been hoping for right from the beginning. Thanks again.

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

--- You might own the cache, but geocaching.com owns you. ---

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

Yes, the original image will not be resized or modified if the uploaded image is under 125k.

Thank you! This simple solution is what we've been asking for all along. The higher filesize limit and the removal of restrictions on the dimensions will be greatly appreciated by those of us who care about the quality of our photos. Thanks for listening and addressing this issue.

Zhanna

quote:
Originally posted by Schatztaucher:

Recently I realized that the restriction of 100 KByte is still present when I want upload images for an own cache. Possibly it's the same when handling Travel Bugs?

Schatztaucher

These new changes to uploading images will eventually be added to all areas of the website. It appears that they are still working out the kinks.

southdeltan