Snake encounters

Reasons we never hike unarmed anymore.

where i live the only vicious things i need to worry about are mosquitoes so i have a really hard time imagining how exactly being armed is going to help you against a snake, or what exactly is the purpose of being armed?

ever hear of snake shot, available in many different calibers it does wonders on snakes, I've probably run more snake shot through my S&W mod 19

then anything else

nope, that's why i'm asking

what i am wondering is if they are so fast in attacking how would you have time to shoot them or you supposed to shoot them just in case? :unsure:

where i live the only vicious things i need to worry about are mosquitoes so i have a really hard time imagining how exactly being armed is going to help you against a snake, or what exactly is the purpose of being armed?

ever hear of snake shot, available in many different calibers it does wonders on snakes, I've probably run more snake shot through my S&W mod 19

then anything else

I believe the question was more about why snakes were so aggressive you felt the need to "defend" yourself.

I've run into a couple of coral snakes, a few cottonmouths, and maybe a copperhead. Of the non-threatening variety, I've seen 10-12 of different kinds. Other than one of my run-ins with a coral snake that felt I was too close to whatever it was protecting, I've never been bothered by a snake in the wild. They had their space, I had mine.

We also have plenty of rattlesnakes in our area, but I've never run into one on the trail.

I've seen rattlesnakes a couple times while caching. It's one of the reasons I like going out during winter because I don't have to worry about stepping on one (live in Arizona).

Here's a funny log from a local cache GC16BRV:

"OK, what to say about this little cache. Rattlesnakes and shear ledges? So I am about to crawl out onto the ledge where I am sure the cache is hidden. Then there is this buzzing sound nearby. Just a rattler under a rock along my path. He's in a bit more protected location than me so I cant move him, but so log as he rattles I know where he is. Keep throwing rocks to keep him honest while edging along to find the cache. Move the rocks away from the cache, throw a rock at the snake, get the log out so sign, throw a rock at the snake, sign the log, throw a rock, rehide, throw a rock, inch my way back, throw a rock. Just your average drive by cache. "TFTH

I've seen rattlesnakes a couple times while caching. It's one of the reasons I like going out during winter because I don't have to worry about stepping on one (live in Arizona).

Here's a funny log from a local cache GC16BRV:

"OK, what to say about this little cache. Rattlesnakes and shear ledges? So I am about to crawl out onto the ledge where I am sure the cache is hidden. Then there is this buzzing sound nearby. Just a rattler under a rock along my path. He's in a bit more protected location than me so I cant move him, but so log as he rattles I know where he is. Keep throwing rocks to keep him honest while edging along to find the cache. Move the rocks away from the cache, throw a rock at the snake, get the log out so sign, throw a rock at the snake, sign the log, throw a rock, rehide, throw a rock, inch my way back, throw a rock. Just your average drive by cache. "TFTH

I think I'd have thrown a whole load more rocks, and then a few more...

This is a snake I saw while benchmarking one day in northern Ohio. It was a foot or two away from a benchmark, but its just a harmless little guy.

BM_KZ1808_5.jpg

Have seen lots of similar snakes while walking along going to a cache. There was a report of a large copperhead hanging around GC283APin southern Ohio, but we didn't see it. HERE is my log on it. There are poisonous snakes in southern Ohio, but they are very uncommon. None in northern Ohio anymore since the timber rattlers disappeared around the Toledo Airport a few decades ago.

Edited by GrizzFlyer

then anything else

nope, that's why i'm asking

what i am wondering is if they are so fast in attacking how would you have time to shoot them or you supposed to shoot them just in case? :unsure:

they're very fast in striking but if they are moving no problem and most will usually will move off if given time, When we lived near Kingman Az there were Mojave greens and they are usually very aggressive here is a little info on them.

The Mojave rattlesnake, better known as the "Mojave Green," has a fearsome and well-deserved reputation. Considered more aggressive than other species of rattlesnakes, the Mojave Green's appearance is similar to that of his kin - flat, triangular head, heavy scales, a thick body with a diamond camouflage pattern and rattles on the tail. The nickname comes as a result of the species commonly having a greenish tint, in contrast to the normal brown or yellow color of other rattlesnakes.

The Mojave Green is considered the most dangerous of the various species of rattlesnakes due to the lethality of its poison. Snake venom is of two types. The first is hemotoxin, which destroys blood cells and tissue to help the snake predigest its prey. The other, that of the Mojave Green, is neurotoxin, which destroys nerves and nerve tissue; this paralyzes the snake's prey and prevents its escape. In a high enough dose, neurotoxin can stop the breathing process. As a result, anyone bitten by a Mojave Green needs medical attention, as one person noted, "pretty dadgum quick."

As I mentioned earlier most snakes will move off if given time, I've seen greens coiled and ready to strike when a another rattler would be moving off

Edited by vagabond

then anything else

Just remember, in AZ you'll need a valid general hunting license and the bag limit is 4 per year per species. See the Arizona 2011-2012 Reptile and Amphibian Regs.

In Australia, in the summer (now) we have to assume that snakes are everywhere.

I have encountered a Tiger snake while caching (4th most venomous in the world ). And I have seen small babies of other species. Some of my buddies saw a very very large Eastern Brown on a Geo-trail near Melbourne Airport. They are the 2nd most venomous snake in the world - if it struck you, at least you'd have a couple of minutes to say goodbye to your caching buddies !

We always were long pants (they will often strike the material rather than you), carry sticks for "poking", and wear thick think boots and socks.

The world's most venomous snakes

It's much much less dangerous in winter.

Not while caching, but about four years ago i worked at a industrial rubber supply outlet. I was the first one in this particular morning and i saw what i assume a fake snake wrapped around the two large front door handles. Finding the prank amusing i parked my ute up and went towards the door. Then the dadgum thing turned and looked at me approaching. He must have been enjoying the morning sun on the front of the building. Not being able too identify him i called animal control and had them remove him.

Still dont remember what kind of snake it was but if i recall it was at least fairly harmless.

Being in Australia i am always on the look out for snakes when out and about, and if i am bush walking i wear jeans and my high top leather boots just in case.

I love that moment where you think "there is either a cache in here, or a snake"

California Central Coast: Seen rattlesnakes frequently. Once, three different ones in the same day. Once was rock hopping when hear the sounds of an agitated one beneath and stood stock still while it moved under a different rock. Make sure I keep a pole or walking sticks with me when in snake country. Always check with a LONG stick where snakes may be in hiding.

Rocks, wood piles, old buildings are likely to be home to rattlers, but once in a while they are in open ground. Hear the shriek of a rattle starting up in what could only have been an inch of matted grass by the trailside in Russian Ridge Open Space, 3 foot rattle snake crawled out and up into the tall grass on the hillside.

Biggest one I've seen - body must have been 4 inches in diameter, head the size of a silver dollar. I think that one may have just finished a squirrel or rabbit and was sunning itself. I'd guess it was about 4 foot in length, at least. Darn big one.

rattler_stcp.jpg

(For perspective that plastic bottle, above and right of it, is one of those wide 1L or 1.5L plastic water bottles)

Other than that, lots of gopher snakes, a couple king snakes, some little red ringnecked snake, little grey jobbies and the occasional garter snake.

Cool out right now, so most of them are in burrows. Perfect hiking time. When the weather heats up I'll be quite a lot more cautious.

Edited by DragonsWest

I've stumbled across a few rattlesnakes while out and about. I'm less nervous now though, than I was a couple years back. I work in the emergency room, and last summer we had a really high number of rattler bites for some reason. Many came from 3 or 4 hours out, and were still very much treatable and non-fatal. None of these were in the face or neck, but ankles and hands will usually allow you the time to get the treatment you need.

I'm swinging between relieved that I won't have this to deal with... and jealous that you all get to see these amazing snakes!

Our little british adders are pretty much harmless, only really fatal to babies and those with pre-existing conditions if they don't get help quick enough, or allergies to the venom. We're talking a 2 foot snake that would rather ignore or actively avoid you than anything. Mostly seen in rocky areas sunbathing :) Some can apparently be picked up and won't react badly, but personally I'd not see the point in trying.

We also have smooth snakes - which I've never seen but would love to, quite rare, and our common grass snakes whose 1st line of defence if picked up is "exuding a foul smelling liquid from the anal vent" or playing dead.

Oh and we have slowworms which are legless lizards, but often mistaken for snakes by non-countryside people. Also totally harmless, and typically just slide away. Some will slide about on you if you pick them up though happily (or in the case of 1 I met, if you stay still, come to investigate you!) - probably not the smartest reptile in the world! But so so cute :D

I think statistically our most dangerous venomous creatures are actually bees/wasps - obviously via allergies.

I have been caching here in Arizona, west of Phoenix about 45 miles at Saddle Mountain, and out in the mountains around here, have seen quite a few Rattlers, one hit me as I was coming down into a ravine, I got my camera out as he was still stretched out, as I took pictures, he coiled back up. I make tons of noise, my walking stick has a foot-long rebar in the end, I use for support on mountain sides, so he knew I was coming, I guess I got too close to him, and bam! I felt it, thought it was a branch.

Before I went into these rocky mountains, I got snake 'Gators', off the Internet, came from Bozeman, around $70.00.

Money well spent... I feel fairly safe with them on, but you never are 100% protected, on steep slopes, I am eye level with rocks they like to live in.

My leg protection

Got me

Ready for another strike

One by a cache I avoided

We had a group of about six cachers doing a morning hike. At the end of the hike we had to go down a trail that clearly wasn't used to often. We came across seven different rattlers along the way plus two more early that day. Luckly it was an overcast morning and day so it stayed cool. These guys weren't too active. Making a lot of noise with our hiking sticks let them know we were coming and they didn't bother us. All but one were coiled up and let us go right by. Out here in southern California I come across snakes all the time!

I am really jealous of you with rattlesnakes. Since a kid I have been fascinated with any venomous snake. When I went to college, I lucked out and found a phd candidate doing his research on venom concentration/fluctuation by season.

In our lab, we had rattlers, mostly water moccasins, a couple of copperheads, and a coral snake.

I milked these snakes with him 20 times shy of 1000. There is no way to describe holding the head of a rattlesnake while his tail is rattling, but I imagine it compares to skydiving. Unlike copperheads and water moccasins, the rattlesnake's head is very pliable, and it can turn the roof of its mouth upward. Even though I was warned of this, I still was not prepared for how easy the top of the snake's head could invert. Copperheads and water moccasins had much chunkier heads and were more comfortable to milk after the initial jitters subsided.

As another member posted, I too work in an ER, and almost every snakebite we see (venomous) involves a young male, intoxicated, and bitten on the hand or arm...indicating he tried to pick it up. Our hospital has never recorded a death in a 20+ year history. Only in rare cases do we even administer Crofab, the polyvalent antivenin, as some people have worse reactions to that than the venom.

If you leave these snakes alone, you are far less likely to be bitten. To the poster that feels the need to arm himself against a cold blooded animal with no arms or legs, perhaps a my-little-pony convention would be more to your liking. I'm sure it is very safe there. Experiencing the outdoors has certain inherit risks (lightning, bears, snakes) and is not for everybody. ;)

Edited by JohnE_Cache

We've run across a variety of snakes while caching. Here's a few of them.

Copperhead that was coiled up under the cache.

9ee83e39-255f-468b-a84c-5a5038f28758.jpg

Boy that Copperhead has great cammo. Can barely see it.

That's why I don't care for copperheads. They have great camo and when you approach they stay still. How are you supposed to avoid stepping on them? At least rattlesnakes give you a warning.

In northern NJ rattlesnakes are making a comeback. The are fairly common these days. I've seen a few while caching and I have some caches where logs regularly mention seeing them. Copperheads too but they don't seem to be quite as common as rattlers.

Most common however are garter snakes, black rat snakes and black racers. You will rarely enter the woods i the summer without encountering one of those. We also see an occasional hog nosed

I am really jealous of you with rattlesnakes. Since a kid I have been fascinated with any venomous snake. When I went to college, I lucked out and found a phd candidate doing his research on venom concentration/fluctuation by season.

In our lab, we had rattlers, mostly water moccasins, a couple of copperheads, and a coral snake.

I milked these snakes with him 20 times shy of 1000. There is no way to describe holding the head of a rattlesnake while his tail is rattling, but I imagine it compares to skydiving. Unlike copperheads and water moccasins, the rattlesnake's head is very pliable, and it can turn the roof of its mouth upward. Even though I was warned of this, I still was not prepared for how easy the top of the snake's head could invert. Copperheads and water moccasins had much chunkier heads and were more comfortable to milk after the initial jitters subsided.

As another member posted, I too work in an ER, and almost every snakebite we see (venomous) involves a young male, intoxicated, and bitten on the hand or arm...indicating he tried to pick it up. Our hospital has never recorded a death in a 20+ year history. Only in rare cases do we even administer Crofab, the polyvalent antivenin, as some people have worse reactions to that than the venom.

If you leave these snakes alone, you are far less likely to be bitten. To the poster that feels the need to arm himself against a cold blooded animal with no arms or legs, perhaps a my-little-pony convention would be more to your liking. I'm sure it is very safe there. Experiencing the outdoors has certain inherit risks (lightning, bears, snakes) and is not for everybody. ;)

The vast majority of rattlesnake bites I've seen involve white males between the ages of 18-30 who have at least a moderate amount of alcohol in their system. Hey ya'll, watch this.... :rolleyes:

I'd say the next most common are probably kids playing with rocks. Saw three of them last year. One was bitten by a baby rattlesnake that was curled up inside the crack of a rock. He didn't know he'd been bitten until an hour later when his hand swelled up and his uncle went back to see the rock he' "cut" his hand on and found the snake. Scary.

We use crofab more often than rarely, but as it's expensive and is fairly time consuming to get set up, it's not given as readily as other meds. My understanding though, is that the potential for allergic reaction to the synthetic that is crofab is nowhere near as high as the old antivenin that was made, partially, with actual snake venom. Less other complications and side effects too.

I had to laugh when reading opjim's log about the rattlesnake, as I encountered one of quite a few snakes while searching for one of his caches on the Boulder Loop Trail in Payson, Az. I was in a bouldery (obviously), rocky area and had bent down to search under some large rock faces, and was on my hands and knees when I heard the all too familiar buzzing sound from below my crotch. Not wanting to go into the emergency room with a snake bite on my family jewels, I moved rather slowly to see if I could pinpoint where the rattling was coming from. I narrowed it down to a bunch of smaller rocks directly below the "boys", and was able to very slowly inch my way out of the situation. I never did see the snake, and I'm sure he was OK with that too. Living in Arizona, we've seen many rattlesnakes and actually quite a few gila monsters, surprisingly. I had a face-to-face talk with one a few years back, but that's another story..........

Five characteristics of a rattlesnake bite victim (usually):

1. Male

2. Missing teeth

3. Tattoos

4. Alcohol on Board

5. Bite on the hand or arm :anitongue:

Several years ago we were hiking near Woods Canyon Lake. I was in front. I suddenly heard my girls gasp. I turned around and had just stepped over the top of a Black Timber Rattler, which are a particularly aggressive form of rattlesnake. Fortunately for me, he was pretty slow and stupid. From the bulge just below his head I suspect he had just finished eating a rodent, which is why he didn't come after me.

Some local cachers (Roadrunners) seem to find a snake every few weeks. I don't see as many, but there are areas I avoid when it is warm. I actually prefer to cache above the Mogollon Rim in the Summer (they are still there but not as plentiful) and below the rim in the winter when it is cold. I also have snake gaiters but use them more for brush than snakebites.

I had to laugh when reading opjim's log about the rattlesnake, as I encountered one of quite a few snakes while searching for one of his caches on the Boulder Loop Trail in Payson, Az. I was in a bouldery (obviously), rocky area and had bent down to search under some large rock faces, and was on my hands and knees when I heard the all too familiar buzzing sound from below my crotch. Not wanting to go into the emergency room with a snake bite on my family jewels, I moved rather slowly to see if I could pinpoint where the rattling was coming from. I narrowed it down to a bunch of smaller rocks directly below the "boys", and was able to very slowly inch my way out of the situation. I never did see the snake, and I'm sure he was OK with that too. Living in Arizona, we've seen many rattlesnakes and actually quite a few gila monsters, surprisingly. I had a face-to-face talk with one a few years back, but that's another story..........

I know the area well, as I placed several caches on the Boulder Loop Trail.

As for Flatiron & Mrs. Wrangler, after they made the following post on http://coord.info/GC2R9KJ, no one even looked for this cache until November (myself included). They are absolutely correct, Table Mountain is full of rattlesnake condos:

"Myself and AJ.JR were going to go after the two Table Mtn. caches today, but after encountering a large and long rattler near the parking area, we decided to do them on a cooler day. The rock ledges on this hill are snake "condos" and hopefully we'll get to these in the fall. Thanks."

Their post above suggests another encounter: surely you intend to share it?

Edited by opjim

A couple of weeks ago my bro-in-law and I were out in a huge park. There's a cache in the rocks below a walking trail bridge. We both saw three or four small, 2 to 3 feet long,snakes near GZ. Didn't bother me. I went on the search while he stayed a few feet away. What he didn't see was momma. She was 5 to 6 feet long and probably 1.5 inches in diameter. He'd have never left the bridge in that case. Note: I have to give bro-in-law credit. He has gotten much better about ticks and snakes this past year. So has his sister, my wife. I guess I'm a good influence.

opjim...........The encounter I was referring to was when I was searching for a cache on the Montana Mtn. Loop outside of Queen Valley, Az. a few years ago. I searched for about ten minutes before narrowing down GZ and a likely spot for the cache. It was a series of rock ledges somewhat like the ones I referred to earlier in your area, and I got down on my knees to look under the bottom ledge and came face to face with a Gila Monster. I was probably 18 inches from him and he gave me a hiss and opened his mouth wide for me to see. If you've never seen a Gila Monsters open mouth, I'll tell you it was a little spooky lookin'. His mouth was black and salmon/peach colored and his teeth looked pretty menacing. I understand that they inject their venom thru grooves in their teeth and are called the Pit bulls of the lizard family due to their reluctance to let go once they clamp on to you. I jumped backwards in a flash and headed for the quad to change my shorts put on a clean Depends. I have seen a few Gila Monsters since then, but haven't had the urge to shake hands with one. That's the end of the story and hopefully there will be no more to come...........

Came within 3 ft of a Rattler on Sunday while bushwhacking to GZ. I thought I heard something that wasn't quite the sound of me bushwhacking, but it was pretty similar sounding. I looked down and there is was rattling and scooting away. It was at least 4 ft long and about as thick as my wrist. I spent the rest of the afternoon out there stomping from cache to cache to make sure I made as much noise as possible.

Here's a sweet "at the scene of the cache" pic:

357d7e18-d575-4805-9439-b70ba931a530.jpg

Formerly known as a black rat snake; now apparently a Western rat snake; and, yes, he was very close to the cache! ;)

Edit to credit cacher Festerro for posting this to my cache page.

I didn't even know snakes could do that in a tree. I am learning so much from this thread. I live in Buffalo, NY and I will take snow over snakes any day of the year. I havne't heard of anyone running into a poisonous snake in the woods in WNY. The next thing I look up on the internet is going to be, "poisonous snakes in WNY". I scream when I see a baby Garter snake.

In Australia, in the summer (now) we have to assume that snakes are everywhere.

I have encountered a Tiger snake while caching (4th most venomous in the world ). And I have seen small babies of other species. Some of my buddies saw a very very large Eastern Brown on a Geo-trail near Melbourne Airport. They are the 2nd most venomous snake in the world - if it struck you, at least you'd have a couple of minutes to say goodbye to your caching buddies !

We always were long pants (they will often strike the material rather than you), carry sticks for "poking", and wear thick think boots and socks.

The world's most venomous snakes

It's much much less dangerous in winter.

Wow, in 5 months of caching, I have come across 3 of the 5 most venomous snakes in the world. Now THAT is an extreme sport!

Better to have a gun and not need it, then need one and not have it!!

Here in Canada, our gun laws are dumb and don't allow us to just walk around with a pistol/revolver. We have to just stick with the long guns, so a .410 shotgun usually accompanies me to the bush.

At the end of last summer we saw a 6ft or so bullsnake hightailing it out of a bar ditch into the field. In all fairness though, it was his home turf and that cache was out in the middle of nowhere in a bunch of farmland.. I nearly had a heart attack and we were even in the car.

Last weekend one of our family saw a tiny green garter snake, but it was too fast to get a good picture of. He must have been really scared of the gigantic humans invading his homeland.

I'm always very aware when we go out, especially when our caching isn't urban - we live in prime rattlesnake country. Thank goodness we've never seen one out, but have been told they've been stirred up already on the trails at the campsites we enjoy.

I've only had one snake encounter while caching. I spotted the cache in it's hidey-hole, and pulled it out. Someone had left a small rope tied to it, but I didn't pay it a lot of attention, as I climbed back up to stable ground to open the cache and sign the log. That is, until the "rope" started coiling around my arm. It was at that point I discovered that the "rope" was actually a Prairie King Snake roughly 16" long. It was a cool day, so it was fairly lethargic, but it did keep striking at me. I finally managed to get a grip on it and get some pictures.

When I was putting the cache back in it's hole, there was another, smaller one in there, but I didn't manage to grab it for more pics.

5fea29cd-3808-4f14-9e1b-eb126fada403.jpg

I just found this thread, and I am surprised there are not more Australians here talking about their snake mishaps. After all, we have more deadly and dangerous snakes here in Australia then any where else. My snake story is a simple one. I recently had a cache which was on a piece of public land, in some rubbish. This land was next door to a panel shop in an industrial area, and behind it was a rather large storm water duct. The local council decided to clean up their land and most of the rubbish, so my cache was gone. so I planted another one nearby, a bit closer to the storm water duct, this time just behind the fore said land, again, under some other rubbish. An old car wheel to be exact. So a few cachers found the cache, with some reporting a large Red Belly black snake living under an old car seat nearby. On top of this, someone from the panel shop had been watching cachers in the area searching, and muggled the cache. Again I went to hide a new one, forgetting about the snake report totally, and I lifted up things here and there in the immediate area to re hide the new cache. Sure enough, I found the black snake. While only 21 most deadliest in the world, they sure are jumpy and don't like it when their hiding spot is uncovered. He was a big one too, and hissed and scared the absolute s#*T out of me.

Now I have had to replace the cache with a bison micro hanging from a tree nearby. There is a snake warning in the logs and description as well as dangerous animals attribute added as well. I had seriously considered archiving this cache, but then I thought us Australian cachers are probably well aware and used to snakes when caching, so I decided the micro in the tree would at least reduce the risk of snake bite to some degree. Now the cache has had a DNF so I assume the micro has made it more of a challenge now.

I nearly stepped on this one in sydney en route to a cache - not sure what he is - maybe a diamond python??? Can anyone confirm?

8eb3ec3d-5135-4711-8dfe-7d9355f68d6b.jpg

Also a suspiciously looking black snake slithered across a path in front of me (also in sydney) and off into the undergrowth - I didn't catch the colour of his belly to see if it was red....but not sure what else he could have been?

Now that will get the old heart "twitter-pating"