beginner

Hi,

I like the Garmin GPS 60 series, they are good on batteries, clean screen outdoors, plus if you

plan on caching in less sensitive areas, like forrests etc. they are good with sat lock.

You might be able to use just your smartphone if you already have one, such as an iPhone or Android

and get a free or low priced application.

You can also get an application for the symbian phones Geocaching Navigator which is ok for low cost.

Good luck . Hope it helps.

Thanks

James

want to purchase a second hand unit so i can start to search for goecaches,and dont kn anything about the hand held units so need as much info as poss,would like a good cheap one to start with,dont want anybody to con me into buying a crappy one,thanks

I posted this reply into a similar thread; I suggest you don't discount new units as secondhand prices are sometimes unrealistically high. Of course, a marked down "obsolete" new unit with warranty is your dream option, but you'd have to be lucky.

Here's my original post: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=280639&view=findpost&p=4818639

To save you following the link unless you care to, here's the content:

Cheapest second hand or cheapest new?

If looking at new, the recently announced eTrex 10 looks good to me: RRP of $119.99, USB interface, and high sensitivity. The marginally lower cost eTrex H (RRP $99.99) only has a serial interface, so I'd count it out. (Yes, you can get USB-serial converters if you need them, but they tend to cost too much and some are buggy. Go straight to USB, do not pass go!)

For second hand ... look in the GPS Garage Sale forum. As before I'd be looking for a high sensitivity unit with a USB interface, and mapping doesn't hurt but the maps cost money too and you did say "cheapest".

All that said, I'm still using a Geko 201 (serial interface, via a special USB-serial cable), monochrome, no maps, AAA batteries, and without the newer "high sensitivity" GPS receiver chips ... and it still finds caches. Or I still find caches. And sometimes fail but that's usually not the GPSr's fault! :)

Good luck.