Possible False Finds

Merc Inc.

Lets say that you are the CO of a fairly difficult hide. One that after nearly 2 years, only say, 25 people have logged a find on line. about 3 months go by and the hide is logged found. no problem you say as this is typical of this hide. Then you get a on-line logging that says "one of team members claims to have found it awhile ago so I'm logging it now." Hmm you say, Whats up with that. Still you think maybe so. Later in the process of doing a maint. check that you regularly do on your caches, you notice that there is no logging in the log for this "Team" what so ever. So you as the CO politely ask that the "Team" Member describe the hide. It's quite unique and not easily forgotten. Also stating that they may have made a mistake and not found it. Then you ask that if that can't be done that the "Team" please delete the logging to "Maintain the Integrity of our Sport". I await their reply.

BTW, I should mention that this "Team" has used this same/similar claim in logging caches that have been missing for months always logging with a very short "TFTC" and nothing else.

I'm no cache Nazi or a "rule wonk" Hopefully were doing this for fun. If I can't find a cache after 15 or more of looking I log a DNF. That's my personal rule. I do know others that have weak egos and never DNF. So be it. I, however don't Lie on my golf card. If you believe that it's just another way to "play the game" I would really wonder what other "moral relativity" applications you have.

I know this has been discussed here as somewhat the same subject. To me, this, is, the same as cheating at cards (advantage play they called it in the 1800's" You see, the folks that do this stuff are NOT playing the game. They are not "Geocaching" in any sense of the word. They are doing something else. and I can't figure out WHAT it is. And , no I'm not going to loose any hair over this (I have none to Spare) LOL

What do you think ??

Lets say that you are the CO of a fairly difficult hide. One that after nearly 2 years, only say, 25 people have logged a find on line. about 3 months go by and the hide is logged found. no problem you say as this is typical of this hide. Then you get a on-line logging that says "one of team members claims to have found it awhile ago so I'm logging it now." Hmm you say, Whats up with that. Still you think maybe so. Later in the process of doing a maint. check that you regularly do on your caches, you notice that there is no logging in the log for this "Team" what so ever. So you as the CO politely ask that the "Team" Member describe the hide. It's quite unique and not easily forgotten. Also stating that they may have made a mistake and not found it. Then you ask that if that can't be done that the "Team" please delete the logging to "Maintain the Integrity of our Sport". I await their reply.

BTW, I should mention that this "Team" has used this same/similar claim in logging caches that have been missing for months always logging with a very short "TFTC" and nothing else.

I'm no cache Nazi or a "rule wonk" Hopefully were doing this for fun. If I can't find a cache after 15 or more of looking I log a DNF. That's my personal rule. I do know others that have weak egos and never DNF. So be it. I, however don't Lie on my golf card. If you believe that it's just another way to "play the game" I would really wonder what other "moral relativity" applications you have.

I know this has been discussed here as somewhat the same subject. To me, this, is, the same as cheating at cards (advantage play they called it in the 1800's" You see, the folks that do this stuff are NOT playing the game. They are not "Geocaching" in any sense of the word. They are doing something else. and I can't figure out WHAT it is. And , no I'm not going to loose any hair over this (I have none to Spare) LOL

What do you think ??

If they reply, hopefully you can work it out, if not:

If there is no name on the log, they did not find it. Delete the log. If they log it again, delete it. If possible, take a picture of the log in case Groundspeak gets in touch with you if they file an appeal. Or just ignore it and move on.

Either are appropriate choices depending on what you want.

<snipped for brevity>

I'm no cache Nazi or a "rule wonk"

<more snippage for brevity>

What do you think ??

I think that for someone who is neither a cache Nazi nor a 'rule wonk,' you sure do have your undies in a bunch. Go ahead and delete the log, but spare us your sermonizing.

...I'm no cache Nazi...

I am glad to hear that you are not part of a group that is responsible for the systematic killing of millions of geocachers.

If that's not what you meant by "cache Nazi," maybe use another word next time. The more things we compare to the Nazi party, the more we water down the collective memory of what they actually did.

And now my on-topic hook:

It's your cache, and you are responsible for maintaining both the listing and the physical container. If they logged it and didn't actually find it, you have the right to delete their log. You know they didn't sign it, you checked the log book. If you want to delete it, go ahead.

Whether or not there is a signature in the logbook I usually take people at their word if they say they found one of my caches. However if I have a good reason to believe that they are pulling my leg I'll delete their find.

Someone who has a pattern of "forgetting his pencil" or otherwise not signing logs would give me a good reason to believe that he is pulling my leg.

<snipped for brevity>

What do you think ??

I think that for someone who is neither a cache Nazi nor a 'rule wonk,' you sure do have your undies in a bunch. Go ahead and delete the log, but spare us your sermonizing.

My whitie tities are just fine. I just wanted to hear what others had to say. as far as sermonizing, well, that was not the intent. If a person believes that a standard of acceptable conduct is for that rest of the folks out there and not them, They are not contributing much to this sport. Like bad breath and BO you deal with it, but you don't say its acceptable.

<snipped for brevity>

What do you think ??

My whitie tities are just fine. I just wanted to hear what others had to say. as far as sermonizing, well, that was not the intent. If a person believes that a standard of acceptable conduct is for that rest of the folks out there and not them, They are not contributing much to this sport. Like bad breath and BO you deal with it, but you don't say its acceptable.

A word of advice. Don't get yourself frustrated over whether or not there are geocaching cheaters out there...there are. Give the benefit of the doubt as the majority of your fellow geocachers are honest.

...I'm no cache Nazi...

I am glad to hear that you are not part of a group that is responsible for the systematic killing of millions of geocachers.

If that's not what you meant by "cache Nazi," maybe use another word next time. The more things we compare to the Nazi party, the more we water down the collective memory of what they actually did.

And now my on-topic hook:

It's your cache, and you are responsible for maintaining both the listing and the physical container. If they logged it and didn't actually find it, you have the right to delete their log. You know they didn't sign it, you checked the log book. If you want to delete it, go ahead.

Point taken. But I think she meant it as in "soup Nazi" from Seinfeld, with no harm intended.