LPCs

knowschad

This weekend I heard about one... even saw pictures of it... that if it were in a more populated area, would be a most-favorited cache, without a doubt! Lift the skirt to find a diorama of miniature pine trees, rocks, and shrubs. Somewhere in there is hidden a miniature ammo box. It is awesome!!! (no spoilers... I'm not saying where it is, and if you know, please keep it to yourself)

This weekend I heard about one... even saw pictures of it... that if it were in a more populated area, would be a most-favorited cache, without a doubt! Lift the skirt to find a diorama of miniature pine trees, rocks, and shrubs. Somewhere in there is hidden a miniature ammo box. It is awesome!!! (no spoilers... I'm not saying where it is, and if you know, please keep it to yourself)

Errm, that was on the official geocaching blog. Its a whole series...

The first one I looked for I didn't find.

The second one I had gotten a clue from the forums, so I pulled up the skirt, and it made the greatest sound that echoed for some distance. So much for discretion. I've never found one that sounded that great since.

Much later, I found a multi around a great little urban pond area. Really nice place. I get to the final, and don't see it anywhere. Such a spectacular spot, it couldn't be... no, not that.... Yes, it's not only under the lamp post skirt, but the CO has written in the description that they found a similar one and found it so unique and creative that they decided to place one like that themselves.

First of all... no. That isn't it. It doesn't even reach first base, although I will say, well done. But more importantly, what did I say about NO SPOILERS!!! Your "spoiler" was wrong, but I sure do not appreciate the attempt. :mad:

(Edit: Well, OK... fair enough... you posted a picture of a spoiler provided by the site, so I guess I can't be too angry. But no... this was even better than those. )

Edited by knowschad

First of all... no. That isn't it. It doesn't even reach first base, although I will say, well done. But more importantly, what did I say about NO SPOILERS!!! Your "spoiler" was wrong, but I sure do not appreciate the attempt. :mad:

I'm really trying not to sound like a dirt-bag in this post... But it's almost unhelpable...

If you would've clicked the link, you'd of noticed that I got those pictures from the official geocaching blog.

And honestly, if you'd have read the same link mentioned above, you'd of realized that it says that SHE STARTED THEM, and that others are following in the footsteps. It's a clone, undoubtedly from your description, better then the original series, but a clone none-the-less.

That isn't a bad thing, as it allows more people to experience this new craze in LPC's.

Edited by Coldgears

I found a parking lot today and not only did it not have a lampskirt lifter in it (out of the multitude of choices) there was no other cache blocking the placement of one!

This thread is tempting me to go hide one there tomorrow...

It might be a better location for a challenge though.

Edited by Krydos

The problem is that LPC's are usually in busy places, otherwise why would there be a street sign there??

So you get a new cacher who has never seen one and they draw lots of attention searching all over.

I guess the good news is that the muggle is not likely to look under the lamp skirt either.

And honestly, if you'd have read the same link mentioned above, you'd of realized that it says that SHE STARTED THEM, and that others are following in the footsteps. It's a clone, undoubtedly from your description, better then the original series, but a clone none-the-less.

You can't say that. She is in California, the one I wrote about is in Minnesota. It is possible that the idea came from the woman in the story, but it is just as possible that it did not.

The problem is that LPC's are usually in busy places, otherwise why would there be a street sign there??

So you get a new cacher who has never seen one and they draw lots of attention searching all over.

I guess the good news is that the muggle is not likely to look under the lamp skirt either.

Street sign? You mean, lamp post? Or did I miss something?

In the case of the one I wrote about, I suspect it is outside of a shop in a small town. It does state that it was hidden with permission.

Now if they were all like that I'd be all about it. But 99.9% of the time they are nothing more than a film can with a wadded up piece of paper jammed in.

The last one I found was a prescription bottle with a wadded up piece of paper jammed in. It still had half of the prescription label on it. I could almost read the name of the person who was taking the Doxycycline.

And the wadded up piece of paper was wet. I know pill bottles aren't the best containers, but you'd think the protection of the lamp post skirt would keep it mostly dry. But no. Soaked.

Just because she thinks she started them, doesn't mean that someone else copied her idea. Sometimes multiple people have similar ideas. Often they even have them at nearly the same time. It's Newton v. Liebniz all over again.

You can't say that. She is in California, the one I wrote about is in Minnesota. It is possible that the idea came from the woman in the story, but it is just as possible that it did not.

Do you mean that because there are two options (it's possible that it did; it's possible that it did not), then each option must have a 50 percent likelihood of being correct?

When I'm playing poker with a stranger and I want them to call my bluff, I sometimes simply point out, "I might be bluffing, or I might not be." You can almost see the wheels turning in their head. "Hmmm. The odds of his bluffing are 50/50. The pot is big, and the cost of calling him is relatively small. So, I should call!"

Do you mean that because there are two options (it's possible that it did; it's possible that it did not), then each option must have a 50 percent likelihood of being correct?

When I'm playing poker with a stranger and I want them to call my bluff, I sometimes simply point out, "I might be bluffing, or I might not be." You can almost see the wheels turning in their head. "Hmmm. The odds of his bluffing are 50/50. The pot is big, and the cost of calling him is relatively small. So, I should call!"

Recalculate those numbers. In your poker example you state the imbalanced cost/reward variable. the same is not true for Knowschads argument. Cost is zero, reward is zero.

Yes, I ignored the effect of your attempted manipulation of the events.

LOL! Dude....!!! :lol:

Now I want to have LPCs over here so I can create a miniature world too!

The cache owner saw my thread here, and contacted me, humbly asking if just maybe I was referring to her cache. She assures me that her cache is original. In her words, "I have no doubt that it was not original and has been done somewhere before, but the idea for the one I hid came from my cluttered brain.". *

With any luck, I may be able to post some pictures to the CCC thread in a couple of days.

* Take that, Coldgears! :lol:

Now I want to have LPCs over here so I can create a miniature world too!

The cache owner saw my thread here, and contacted me, humbly asking if just maybe I was referring to her cache. She assures me that her cache is original. In her words, "I have no doubt that it was not original and has been done somewhere before, but the idea for the one I hid came from my cluttered brain.". *

With any luck, I may be able to post some pictures to the CCC thread in a couple of days.

* Take that, Coldgears! :lol:

LOL!

I was thinking of those miniature worlds you/ someone linked to a while back. It did make me want to have a go at making something like that, but I couldn't think of a use for it. (Can't find the link now). Of course the 'use' was so obvious! (My cluttered brain seems to be cluttered with all kinds of things to make, but which rarely get made. I envy her.)

Look forward to seeing the photos.

The first LPC we ever found was on the edge of a parking lot far enough away from the building (a fairly busy restaurant) as to not cause too much of a stir. One advantage of being at the edge of the lot was that we were able to use our car to block what we were up to. Granted, they may not have placed it along the edge for that reason, but it worked. And if you're going to place them, it's definitely something to keep in mind. I don't mind them because it gives some people the opportunity to cache who may not be physically able to go elsewhere.

I love these dioramas. But I'm having a hard time envisioning where the logsheet goes. In the 3 samples below where would you put the logs?

LPC-5.jpg

I was thinking that something like the Martha Stewart diorama below inside a country mailbox would be amazing:

83E2A1A9-A274-417F-B3E7-D407F8BF890210.jpg

Oh, I love that idea. One of my all time favorite caches is a shaped mail box with a combination lock. The combination can be determined by following the directions. It is the safest travel bug/geocoin location I know and it is such a fun find. To add to that would be even more amazing.

What's weird is when you are driving down a lonely, remote country road and see a lamp post off to the side which would fit right in any small shopping center, it isn't just out of place there, but an emphatic juxtaposition.

One such, Steve and Steve's Barn, where Jobs and Woz did some testing on something. A dang lamp post out in the sticks. Too bad it's behind a fence.

Edited by DragonsWest