Oregon 550t problem displaying caches on map

I recently upgraded the software on my Oregon 550t to version 4.80 using WebUpdater. Now, when using Discoverer 1:50k OS maps, the caches do not display on screen.

If I change profile to one that uses Talky Toaster maps, then on the map screen all the caches are displayed as normal.

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem?

Steve

I don't have mine with me at the moment but there is a zoom option in the map settings which displays 'user data' I think it is called only above certain zoom levels. It may be the software update has reset this so the icons don't show as you zoom in. I think I have mine set to display above 1 mile. This means if I zoom out beyond 1 mile scale the map doesn't become cluttered with icons.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Upgraded mine and have also lost the cache icons. The waypoints display fine. The caches only show at 0.8 mile scale no matter what zoom level is set. Tried deleting all waypoints/caches and loading them back in. Also took the SD card out and rebooted without it in then replaced it. No luck. So looks like there may be an issue with this load of software and those maps. I've gone back to the previous version now.

Chris

Graculus

I guess raise a support ticket here http://www.garmin.com/uk/support

Edited to add which I've just done.

This update brings in functionality specifically for caching on Garmin's Opencaching site. I hope it's just something they've broken that stops PQ#'s copied into the GPS from displaying correctly on this particular map.

Chris

Graculus

Edited by Graculus

I guess raise a support ticket here http://www.garmin.com/uk/support

Edited to add which I've just done.

This update brings in functionality specifically for caching on Garmin's Opencaching site. I hope it's just something they've broken that stops PQ#'s copied into the GPS from displaying correctly on this particular map.

Chris

Graculus

Done. Thanks.

Mine is a 450t by the way.

Edited by Nick & Ali

It's pretty straight forward go to http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions+x50 and download the 4.50 software then do the below.

Change the name of the file you just download to gupdate.gcd

Attach the Oregon to your computer and verify that it is in USB Mass storage mode

Copy gupdate.gcd to [OR drive]:\Garmin\gupdate.gcd

Restart the Oregon

It'll start the software update process automatically. Mine lost all the settings like units, icon positions etc. So make a note of them before you start.

It's pretty straight forward go to http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions+x50 and download the 4.50 software then do the below.

Change the name of the file you just download to gupdate.gcd

Attach the Oregon to your computer and verify that it is in USB Mass storage mode

Copy gupdate.gcd to [OR drive]:\Garmin\gupdate.gcd

Restart the Oregon

It'll start the software update process automatically. Mine lost all the settings like units, icon positions etc. So make a note of them before you start.

Success. Thanks a lot.

I had the same problem with mine and called Garmin UK techline, spent just under an hour with the techie on the phone trying all he suggested, the problem persisted, If you disable the discoverer map, lo and behold, the icons appear, if you enable the discoverer map, they disappear, he asked me to return my Oregon550T, so I posted it back on Friday, guaranteed arrival at Garmin on Tuesday, I shall await results with interest.

Had a phone call from Graham at Garmin, after looking at the unit, they now know what the problem actually is, he has called their software dept. and a new update has been released to solve said problem, my updated gps is on it's way back.

So answer to all those suffering the same, update.......yet again !

Sigh.....

So answer to all those suffering the same, update.......yet again !

Sigh.....

Hi SAM.T, thanks for reporting back. Here's what version 5.0 says:

Change History

Changes made from version 4.80 to 5.00:

Modified default map trails to appear as dashed red lines

Fixed issue where geocache icons would sometimes not draw on the map while using Garmin GB Discoverer™ maps

Thanks for the update! I've not heard anything back from Garmin yet when I raised a ticket. But I'll try the new load.

Edited to add, applied the new update (5.00) and all is well!

Chris

Graculus

Edited by Graculus