I Love Nanos

Sol seaker

After I've easily found a number of caches, it starts getting boring.

I'll never forget the first nano I found. We were at that picnic table a very long time. I didn't even know they existed.

Then I'll never forget the first one I found in the woods.

My caching partner said, "Forget it. YOU find it." and walked away.

I got lucky and found it within a few minutes in a piece of wood thrown on the ground under a log with a whole lot of other wood.

What do you like about nano's?

I don't think they should count as finds. They aren't really caches, are they? I mean, there's not room in there for anything but a log. And it's not even a real log book, just a tiny slip of paper that barely has room for initials.

Nanos are a different game. They should have their own website.

I don't think they should count as finds. They aren't really caches, are they? I mean, there's not room in there for anything but a log. And it's not even a real log book, just a tiny slip of paper that barely has room for initials.

I could think of a few things that would fit in a nano cache, not many of them are family friendly.

I don't seek nanos. If you like, I can smugly descibe how superior that makes me feel.

See, I look down on people who don't cache like me, but I'm be subtle about it so that I don't get into trouble.

Do you mind if I just reach back to pat myself on the back? Thanks.

:rolleyes:

(Just kidding, I like nanos just fine.)

I guess I prefer nanos to small film canisters just planted next to a fence post. Also, sometimes nanos are hidden in very creative containers, such as a snail shell or a bird's egg. I found an almost-nano ammo can recently--didn't have a size listed and we figured big container. It really got smiles and groans from us when we found it. All in all, there are worse things than nanos for me. I often find them fun.

I find most nanos to be fairly easy finds, because many of them seem to be hidden in routine locations: under a bench, on a sign, beneath a trash container.

True, a boring location isn't good for any cache size.

Oh, we're not going to bring up the "Drunken Dolphin" episode again, are we??? It was a very intersting spot, and it was hidden under the picnic table. While I was searching the park police arrived and asked if I were okay? They thought I was a drunken, homeless dolphin. (Can you imagine?!?) The cachers I was with assured them that I was okay, and just searching for a nano. The park police were satisfied, and left.

That being said, I do have three (I think) nanos hidden. I think they're great spots! But, yes, they are hidden in a sign or a fence. Nowhere else to hide a cache. But the spots are well worth visiting.

What do you like about nano's?
Well, I don't like nano-caches per se, but I do like clever 4-star camouflage. Since it's easier to come up with clever 4-star camouflage for a smaller container, some of my favorites are nano-caches.

And I like caches that draw attention to public art. Since blinkers on metal sculptures draw attention to public art, some of my favorites are blinkers.

And I like puzzle caches with in-theme locations. Since it's easier to hide smaller containers at arbitrary in-theme locations, some of my favorites are nano-caches.

And I like caches in various locations (historic, scenic, whatever) that happen to be very busy. Since smaller containers survive longer at such places, some of my favorites are nano-caches.

I like that they present an opportunity to hide caches in places that it would be otherwise almost impossible. I also like that they are a cinch to find. Check the metal sign or metal post nearest ground zero and you'll find 93.7 percent of them in a matter of seconds.

I dislike that most are hidden in the most mundane places imaginable.

Edited by briansnat

ROTFLMAO

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I don't seek nanos. If you like, I can smugly descibe how superior that makes me feel.

See, I look down on people who don't cache like me, but I'm be subtle about it so that I don't get into trouble.

Do you mind if I just reach back to pat myself on the back? Thanks.

:rolleyes:

(Just kidding, I like nanos just fine.)

Nicely done.

Actually one of my favorites was when I was pretty new at caching.

I still didn't have much skill or confidence. Most other people could easily find them before I did.

We drove up and saw that there were people at GZ. My friend said, "We'll come back later."

I said, "no wait. Let me access the situation."

I got out and went over to the row of benches that was where the GPS had pointed to from the car. It wasn't until I got there that I realized the people there had a GPS in their hands. It was their children playing in the playground next to us.

Turned out they'd been searching for an hour. I asked if they wanted us to join in. They said, "Please."

I asked my friend to go back to the car and get our GPS. Then I looked down.

"No, wait, never mind. Here it is."

I picked up the nano hiding between the bolts on one bench.

I was beginning to become a cacher.

I found my first two nanos today. The first time was fun...the second time was much less amusing. Both were placed by the same person (which I didn't noticed until later), so for the second one it should have been easy, but the coords were off, wasps were nested there, and I thought I was looking for a micro.

I think the idea of nanos has its place, but what's the fun of them in the woods. Found another one in the woods today that wasn't the wee lil magnet type, but just barely larger than that. Why, when you can easily hide an ammo can or a lock n lock?...

I had one once that was hidden on one of those big, brown, rough-hewn style park signs. It wasn't a State Park, but that's the style. Logs, dark brown paint, routered lettering... you know what I mean.

The big log uprights were bolted together with 1/2" or so bolts. Same diameter as a nano. I found a matching brown paint, and stuck it to the end of one of those bolts. Worked pretty well, and got some nice comments until the county decided to take the sign down last year.

What's interesting about this statement is that most people would be furious if they found a nano in a nice location--they want to go big or go home, especially in a nice spot. It's almost like these forums encourage that the smaller caches be reserved for less scenic locations.

Now, my response to the OP:

[short, passive-aggressive statement that demonstrates just how much I dislike your question and nanos--to about the same degree.]

Just kidding. My first find was a nano. They'll always have a special place for me because of that.

I like that they present an opportunity to hide caches in places that it would be otherwise almost impossible. I also like that they are a cinch to find. Check the metal sign or metal post nearest ground zero and you'll find 93.7 percent of them in a matter of seconds.

Thank you for the finding advice. Now I know they aren't too hard to find. ;)

I've always loved nanos. Don't understand all the hatred they breed. I found they are often hidden quite cleverly, moreso than small or regular containers. I've only hidden one myself, but it was an interesting spot and anything bigger than a nano would definitely get muggled. I find they usually offer more of a challenge than other bigger caches. I'm not big on tradables anyway. I'll always have a special place in my caching heart for nanos.

Actually one of my favorites was when I was pretty new at caching.

I still didn't have much skill or confidence. Most other people could easily find them before I did.

We drove up and saw that there were people at GZ. My friend said, "We'll come back later."

I said, "no wait. Let me access the situation."

I got out and went over to the row of benches that was where the GPS had pointed to from the car. It wasn't until I got there that I realized the people there had a GPS in their hands. It was their children playing in the playground next to us.

Turned out they'd been searching for an hour. I asked if they wanted us to join in. They said, "Please."

I asked my friend to go back to the car and get our GPS. Then I looked down.

"No, wait, never mind. Here it is."

I picked up the nano hiding between the bolts on one bench.

I was beginning to become a cacher.

nice story. B)

I don't know where you guys are finding all these clever nanos. All the ones I ever see are stuck to the back of a street sign or side of a light pole or some similar style of boring.

Might it be because those are the only ones you find? :lol:

Could be because I seldom look for them to. The last one I found was because I looked at my phone while I was waiting for my wife to come out of the ladies room and saw that I was standing a few feet from it. Had it been over ten feet it would have been to far to bother walking. :laughing:

Edit because I forgot to tack on the good-natured smiley.

Edited by GOF and Bacall

In ONE word...NO.

I hate nanos, film containers, cigar containers, and matchstick containers. However, since I am afflicted with incurable GC fever...I hunt the #$%@ things anyway. I don't like the "unfounds" cluttering up my map. It drives me nuts. I mean..really...how hard IS it to take some time and find a spot that is worthy and place a regular cache?

I wish the powers that be would maybe divide the site up into micros and regular caches...but alas...that's never gonna happen.

This subject has been discussed ad nauseam so I'll shut my pie hole now. lol.

Well, I don't like nano-caches per se, but I do like clever 4-star camouflage. Since it's easier to come up with clever 4-star camouflage for a smaller container, some of my favorites are nano-caches.

And I like caches that draw attention to public art. Since blinkers on metal sculptures draw attention to public art, some of my favorites are blinkers.

And I like puzzle caches with in-theme locations. Since it's easier to hide smaller containers at arbitrary in-theme locations, some of my favorites are nano-caches.

And I like caches in various locations (historic, scenic, whatever) that happen to be very busy. Since smaller containers survive longer at such places, some of my favorites are nano-caches.

I hate nanos - retrieving the log roll, writing on it, getting back the log roll into the container are all a terrible pain for me and take a long time during which I tend to get furious. The only manner nanos are not that bad for me are when someone else is with me and does all the logging work.

It is interesting what you write above. Except your liking of clever camouflage in connection with difficult to find caches (that I do not like at all), I agree typically to the first part of your statements, but then not to your conclusion that you like nanos in those cases. For me those are typical candidates where I prefer containerless caches.

I am pretty sure that many of the nice old virtuals would not exist if nanos had existed already back then.

Cezanne

Also, sometimes nanos are hidden in very creative containers, such as a snail shell or a bird's egg.

I do not know in which environment you found such containers. My comment is thus only a general one:

I am against containers of that type - they contribute to the trend that many cachers lose the respect for nature and start to investigate objects of that type that have no connecttion to a cache whatsoever. First comes the nature and then the potential enjoyment of cachers.

Cezanne

I've only found one nano, so don't have much of an opinion on them as a whole. I can say however that it took a mundane and overdone cache hide style and made me look twice. (Literally. Cache page used the micro category, which technically a nano fits within. After I couldn't find the cache the first time I tried checking another area, thinking that maybe the CO didn't put it in the obvious spot. It wasn't there, so I went back to where I first looked and tried again. This time I found it. I had no clue nanos were that small.) Had a micro been hidden in the usual way in that spot, it would have been a rather bland spot. (And the hiding area could have supported a micro I think.)

I do believe nano caches deserve their own size category, and hope it gets added sooner rather then later.

I like nanos, but I like the potential of nanos more than I actually like nanos themselves, if that even makes sense. They present a truly wonderful opportunity to hide caches where anything even remotely larger wouldn't be possible to hide. My very second find was a nano! It blew me away how small it was! Heck, yesterday I found one which I'd be tempted to call a pico: it was like a standard blinkie, but about half as tall as usual. Amazingly tiny little beast.

I like nanos, but I like the potential of nanos more than I actually like nanos themselves, if that even makes sense. They present a truly wonderful opportunity to hide caches where anything even remotely larger wouldn't be possible to hide. My very second find was a nano! It blew me away how small it was! Heck, yesterday I found one which I'd be tempted to call a pico: it was like a standard blinkie, but about half as tall as usual. Amazingly tiny little beast.

I well remember the first one I ever found. It reminded me of something from the cold war spy novels! Microdots! Compartments hollowed out in shoe heels!

I've actually gotten pretty good at rolling up those pesky little logs. What I hate, though, is when you find that you rolled it too loosely and have to start over 'cause it didn't fit!! Aarrgghh!