800g Black Cat Peanut Butter (Smooth, unsweetend)

The-Eaves

According to the guideline:

Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.

Small - 100ml or larger, but less than 1L. Example: A sandwich-sized plastic container or similar.

Regular - 1L or larger, but less than 20L. Examples: a plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox.

Large - 20L or larger. Example: A large bucket.

Small or regular sized cache container?

Surely that's glass?

Glass is generally considered a bad idea for caches. Not only is it vulnerable to being smashed if it gets dropped by accident and the resulting glass left at the scene would become an environmental hazard, but also the lids have a tendency to rust in place.

Just my 5c worth

According to the guideline:

Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.

Small - 100ml or larger, but less than 1L. Example: A sandwich-sized plastic container or similar.

Regular - 1L or larger, but less than 20L. Examples: a plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox.

Large - 20L or larger. Example: A large bucket.

With those guidelines, probably half the "regulars" I have found should be classified as small. :(

Depends what you are doing with it, I look forward to finding out!

With all your beach themed caches will this include something to do with "Hey, you kicked sand in my eye!"

How'd you figure it was another beach theme? There is going to be little surprise left if this thread continues! It won't be a ridiculous puzzle though: (A snippet)

"No maths, physics or chem this time but do not rejoice,

It will have to be dark and you will need a friend - you have no choice!"........

@MnCo: The bottle is indeed glass... (You sure do know your peanut butters!). The glass will pose no danger to anyone though I promise (perhaps you will see sometime?)

@Danie: Thanks for the list... Would have liked it to be a regular but did the math and the volume is <1L sadly...

Is 800g of PB equal to a liter? Easy, fill a one liter jug with water then fill the 800g bottle... Maybe your Regular is not small or large... Just wondering. Weight can mean different things as opposed to volume... How heavy would a film canister full of lead be? mmm....

Is 800g of PB equal to a liter? Easy, fill a one liter jug with water then fill the 800g bottle... Maybe your Regular is not small or large... Just wondering. Weight can mean different things as opposed to volume... How heavy would a film canister full of lead be? mmm....

Hahaha... Why do it the easy way when there is a perfectly good, ridiculous and complex way of solving a problem which requires a calculator! ;)

Volume of peanut butter jar = (area of base)(perpendicular height) = 980cc (just shy of a liter)(and just shy of regular cache size status)

I took area of base (easy enough) and the height as the distance from the base to the midpoint between where the bottle starts to taper and the top (eyeballed to compensate for decreased volume for height at the top)

Now we have actually made an important discovery here - According to my calculations peanut butter must actually sink in water! I wouldn't have thought so given high fat content. As Wazat rightly asks "How heavy would a film canister full of lead be?"... My question is how heavy is a film canister full of peanut butter!?

*****Loophole: Do the guidelines specify capacity or displacement of the container? If the latter my jar may just qualify!

Edited by The-Eaves

As Wazat rightly asks "How heavy would a film canister full of lead be?"... My question is how heavy is a film canister full of peanut butter!?

Not sure what this has to do with geocaching, but the specific gravity of lead is 11.34, and the S.G. of peanut butter is 1.15. (Peanut butter does indeed sink in water.) The volume of a film canister is 39 cubic cm, so the weight of a canister filled with lead should be 442g, and a canister full of peanut butter will weigh about 45g.

(Using the above S.G. of peanut butter, the volume of your jar must be 696ml, if it was filled to the top.)

Edited by Danie Viljoen

As Wazat rightly asks "How heavy would a film canister full of lead be?"... My question is how heavy is a film canister full of peanut butter!?

Not sure what this has to do with geocaching, but the specific gravity of lead is 11.34, and the S.G. of peanut butter is 1.15. (Peanut butter does indeed sink in water.) The volume of a film canister is 39 cubic cm, so the weight of a canister filled with lead should be 442g, and a canister full of peanut butter will weigh about 45g.

(Using the above S.G. of peanut butter, the volume of your jar must be 696ml, if it was filled to the top.)

I am so glad that my sleep will now be undisturbed by ruminations surrounding my favorite spread... :)