Archived Virtual Logged!

We archived a virtual way back on 2nd November 2005 and it as been logged as found on July 28th this year!

Opinions please, would you allow the find to stand or not?

The Middle of Nowhere?

Might depend on why it was archived. If it was because you wanted to discourage people from going there, or if you had a specific reason for wanting not to have to validate the visits, then disallow it. Otherwise I'd probably let it stand.

Rgds, Andy

hmmm...

If it was a physical presumed missing and archived, but found... the log is valid. If I was archiving a virtual, I think i'd move the co-ords first to avoid this situation.

No signed log... very hard to think what to do...

I would question what they're doing looking for something that's been archived for nearly 6 years though. Is it a new log, or are they logging an old find?

I was going to suggest maybe the person who logged it was a newbie and didn't know the cache was archived. But with 3,000 finds under their belt, I'm thinking the person who logged knew exactly what they were doing. If you allow this to stand, will you allow others that will surely follow? You could be opening up a big can of worms!!

hmmm...

If it was a physical presumed missing and archived, but found... the log is valid. If I was archiving a virtual, I think i'd move the co-ords first to avoid this situation.

No signed log... very hard to think what to do...

I would question what they're doing looking for something that's been archived for nearly 6 years though. Is it a new log, or are they logging an old find?

Hmmm the finder became a member way after the cache was archived so i will delete their find.

Edited to add I have now deleted their find log.

Edited by Cave Troll and Eeyore

I have a bookmark list with all the UK archived Virtuals on it and I get notified when any are logged.

You'd be surprised how many do!

Personally, if I was going to log one I'd OK it with the CO first

Incidentally, I also have a book mark with ALL the old Locationless caches on and you'd be even more surprised to hear that they get logged from time to time as well!

Mark

The Virtual was replaced by a cache by Seasider (blast from the past!); The Middle of Nowhere?. I visited that one but couldn't find it.

If you like virtuals there are plenty nearby as long as you also like a walk. There's even one of mine (Wolfhole Crag) that doesn't get enough visits. there's a rarely-visited cache there as well.

Under the circumstances I'd let the log stand, but it's odd if they didn't log the local cache or waymarks.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Interesting thread this! Without opening a whole virtuals - good thing/bad thing debate, I used to like them, and had never thought of logging old ones. What are the general opinions on this, providing that all the stated logging requirements have been met (and e-mail the owner in advance?)

Not sure if I will or not, but I might at least look at a few!

Dave

Interesting thread this! Without opening a whole virtuals - good thing/bad thing debate, I used to like them, and had never thought of logging old ones. What are the general opinions on this, providing that all the stated logging requirements have been met (and e-mail the owner in advance?)

Not sure if I will or not, but I might at least look at a few!

Dave

Plenty of virtuals still active...

Go and find 'em!

Probably not, you archived it for a reason.

and what a good reason that was :unsure:

If you read the previous posts you will see why it was archived :huh:

afaic what others say is totally irrelevant, even though it could be what lead to the decision to archive it, i like to see the reason in the "archived" log from the CO, also the majority of time will be the last log and the first anyone will see